Back up complete Hard Drive Help!!!

Dark06

Ok so my laptops wifi is acting up and has been found to be malfunctioning due to hardware not software and i have a warrenty on it so i would like to sent it in. Now the problem is that I have a 250 GB hard drive about 90% full That contains a lot of of important buissness documents and secrets that I would like to get off of it before I sent it in.

I want to save it as an ISO or something or idk give me some options Please.

I dont really have the money to buy a back up hard drive but i can maybe get a hold of a 300 GB internal Hard Drive ( Jack It  :uzi:)

How can I go about making a copy of it maybe compressing it a bit and transferring it to my desktop

Any software for the job?

BTW

im zeroing my hard drive ( writing continuous zeros to overwrite all data on it )

And reformatting the hard drive 10 times

Yeah it is that important to me

It is the key to the Matrix that controls the world

lol

You Know Avatar Joke

First of there is no need to be formating the hard drive 10 times, it doesn't make a difference weather you do it once or a 100 times. Just download a copy of DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) and choose the 7 time over right.

As far as making a copy there really isnt an efficient way of making a ISO of 250gb, there are some hard drive clone tools out there that you could use. The best thing would be to just use a external drive and back up the stuff you need.

I was always thought to do it more than 7 or 8 times

cause thats the number the army and navy do it

There really isnt a reason to do it more then 7 times. 1 time of writing 1's and 0's would really even be enough in most cases, It would be so hard to recover anything even after one pass let alone 7.

If you really want military level, you gotta grind the drive into a powder.  :evil6:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822340006

Pretty cheap for that size drive and comes with back up software.

You could back up your entire drive on it and still have lots of space left.

I got to say that does look very cheap

But it does have a very bad review in several sites mostly due to rebate which i dont have to deal with cause it is at a rebate price already

Also will I be able to use this later as a network drive?

if so will that really be wise? How many times can u write to it? Will it be slow to acces off a network or internet if i set up a vpn?

im

Cheaper and easier is  [glow=red,2,300]H E A T[/glow]  :violent5:

I am returning the laptop to get it fix or hopefully replace

I wonder how i will explain that

Got a lil to close to the fireplace?

when it is 103* today in my town?

I got to say that does look very cheap

But it does have a very bad review in several sites mostly due to rebate which i dont have to deal with cause it is at a rebate price already

Also will I be able to use this later as a network drive?

if so will that really be wise? How many times can u write to it? Will it be slow to acces off a network or internet if i set up a vpn?

It's a normal hard drive; just in an external enclosure.

I imagine access time to it on a network would be the same as access time to the internal laptop drive, maybe a little slower but not much.

im

I am returning the laptop to get it fix or hopefully replace

I wonder how i will explain that

Got a lil to close to the fireplace?

when it is 103* today in my town?

Excuse number 3: - " I have no clue what happened. I was just sitting there reading my mail and all of a sudden it burst into flames."