Bending Capacitors

I like mudmanc4's idea of modifying the heatsink to fit the capacitor.

But if you are adept with soldering then if the capacitor on the board(southbridge) is tight  replace it with a new one of the same type.Most replacement capacitors have longer leads.Try a company called Newark.

http://www.newark.com/

That wouldn't be smart.

Cutting the heatsink is the way too go, and would be really easy. If the heatsink fins are in the way just get some tin snips and cut them off little by little.

That wouldn't be smart.

Cutting the heatsink is the way too go, and would be really easy. If the heatsink fins are in the way just get some tin snips and cut them off little by little.

Exactly, besides, the reason they stopped leaving any length of lead on the components id the high risk of a short. By shorting the two leads agist each other of a capacitor, you'll drain the charge, (remembering a capacitor will hold a charge even when not plugged in to a power source, thats what is for,simply put , it's a battery )  if you happen to make a circuit between the leads either on the neg or pos side, then you may just overload the opposing component, not good . Say bye bye to your mother board.

Just modify the heat sink.

Like I said I'm also in favor of making the heat sink fit.

But if a person wanted to put a capacitor with just enough longer leads left to get 20 degrees without strain & making sure they weren't shorted to each other.Because if your not smart enough to do that you shouldn't be doing anything inside your PC anyway.The new capictor wouldn't have any charge yet.

btw I replaced 3 defective capicitors (swelling because of bad chemicals used by the manufacturer) on the MB of my old PC cured the problem & it has worked fine since.I didn't need to bend them so I didn't leave any extra lead but I'm sure I could have with no problems.

Umm. How much cutting are you talking about? The fins are how the heat is removed from the component. Shorter fins = less efficient cooling.

Umm. How much cutting are you talking about? The fins are how the heat is removed from the component. Shorter fins = less efficient cooling.

I'm not talking about cutting the top off. I'm just talking about cutting the side down a little bit where the capacitor is. Only enough to make it fit. And since is the northbridge you could chop that thing up and wouldn't notice the difference because they don't get very hot.

Actually, I found a way to install the heatsink without bending or cutting anything off. The downside is that while my case was open, I thought that I would reseat my cpu hsf, ans I seemingly failed since my computer no longer posts, it just does the opening sound, the fans run for 2-3 seconds, and then restarts with the opening sound, as if I had pressed reset. Nothing ever appears on the screen. Does that mean my cpu is fried?

Actually, I found a way to install the heatsink without bending or cutting anything off. The downside is that while my case was open, I thought that I would reseat my cpu hsf, ans I seemingly failed since my computer no longer posts, it just does the opening sound, the fans run for 2-3 seconds, and then restarts with the opening sound, as if I had pressed reset. Nothing ever appears on the screen. Does that mean my cpu is fried?

Its probably your motherboard if anything. I would start pulling off parts and see. could be ram if you left the ram in when you where doing that.

Nevermind, forgot to plug in my video card extra power cord  :smiley:

Still not used to have that one plugged in. And now, not only am I going to have my temps lower but I'm going to be able to overclock more...

which will most likely lead me to another problem and back to you guys again lol

Nevermind, forgot to plug in my video card extra power cord  :smiley:

Still not used to have that one plugged in. And now, not only am I going to have my temps lower but I'm going to be able to overclock more...

which will most likely lead me to another problem and back to you guys again lol

Don't feel bad, I've done that myself, but usually the MB will complain w/ a series of awful beeps lol