dlewis23

Would you by a Mac now?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you by a Mac now?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already own one
    • Considering getting one

Dell doesn't really like Microsoft?  Since when?  They aren't pushing those linux machines on anyone.  They are just trying to make money off of an alternative product.

Dell has never liked Microsoft. Intel doesn't even like Microsoft. I didn't say they where pushing linux on anyone. I sad they are pushing them pretty hard by, making the computers easier to find, cheaper, and more models. As well as getting the features working out of the box such as DVD playback. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you're getting this from.  I buy several servers, workstations, and laptops from Dell every year, and I mean by the hundreds, and not once have they tried to get me to look at a Linux box.  If they were pushing them "pretty hard", then they'd be suggesting people buy them.

To me it sounds more like the apples are being pushed for some reason here. And to me if it is being pushed there has to be a reason why they are not selling and have to be pushed.  :evil6:

Manufacturers push what makes money. What people really want. And honestly I do not know very few who even own a MAC. But then again I might live in an alternate world.  :cheesy:

So far I have only heard from 2 MAC lovers here, unless I missed the third one somewhere. I am not particular, just do what is affordable in my budget. And gets my job done and then some.  :wink:

I don't know where you're getting this from.  I buy several servers, workstations, and laptops from Dell every year, and I mean by the hundreds, and not once have they tried to get me to look at a Linux box.  If they were pushing them "pretty hard", then they'd be suggesting people buy them.

Because they make no money on linux. Every time they sell a copy of windows they make money. And they make quite a bit when they sell a copy of windows server.

The only place dell makes money off linux is a little bit from hardware.

Depending on which linux system you buy from dell they could actually loose money depending on if you call support and how many times.

Because they make no money on linux. Every time they sell a copy of windows they make money. And they make quite a bit when they sell a copy of windows server.

The only place dell makes money off linux is a little bit from hardware.

Depending on which linux system you buy from dell they could actually loose money depending on if you call support and how many times.

So they hate windows because they make money off of it?

Anyways, I love my MAC, but I'm a realist.  As a pure multi-media OS, it beats Windows hands down.  I love hitting one buttom on my apple remote to pull up my photos, music, video, or watch a DVD with full 5.1 surround sound, all with a modest Mac Book Pro.  But from a network administrator's point of view, I hate having to deal with them.  Simple things such as multicast imaging, made simple with Windows, or Linux for that matter, aren't easily accomplished on the MAC platform.  I mean, what other laptop has a headphone jack that duals as an mini-optical audio jack?

Ok my apologies for some of the comments. It just seems the apples and MAC's are being pushed a bit here.

:smiley: But for most people it really does come down to cost. What can one afford on their budget.

Not too many can say but look how much better this one is and I can afford to spend the extra.

So they hate windows because they make money off of it?

No. Intel hates Microsoft because of the things they choose to do. Microsoft has constantly fucked Intel.

Intel has a 16bit processor, Microsoft is still pushing a 8 but OS. Intel has a 32bit processor and MS again is pushing a 16 bit OS. XP comes around MS makes AMD look really good, even tho at the time they had a slower processor. Intel has a dual core processor, but MS won't make anything multi threaded till AMD is ready.

The problem is MS and Intel can't live with out each other.

Not being able to really do multicast imaging is kinda stupid. (It can be done, but not really easily) But you know once apple makes the push for enterprise that will come, They are already starting the push with the iPhone now. They will probably add more enterprise friendly features with 10.6 because they know there is a market for it.

You mean MS and AMD? Or did I just get lost again?  :undecided:

Well it would actually be both AMD and Intel. AMD could probably make it on something else if MS said no more. Or even worse for intel if MS came out and said "ok the next version of windows is going AMD exclusive"

Intel would be done. But MS would be shooting them selves in the foot because there are so many people who will only buy a intel processor.

No. Intel hates Microsoft because of the things they choose to do. Microsoft has constantly fucked Intel.

Intel has a 16bit processor, Microsoft is still pushing a 8 but OS. Intel has a 32bit processor and MS again is pushing a 16 bit OS. XP comes around MS makes AMD look really good, even tho at the time they had a slower processor. Intel has a dual core processor, but MS won't make anything multi threaded till AMD is ready.

The problem is MS and Intel can't live with out each other.

Not being able to really do multicast imaging is kinda stupid. (It can be done, but not really easily) But you know once apple makes the push for enterprise that will come, They are already starting the push with the iPhone now. They will probably add more enterprise friendly features with 10.6 because they know there is a market for it.

I was under the impression that VISTA is multithreaded.  My gripe is with 64bit support.  Windows 7 should be 64bit only.  All processors made in the last 4 years support 64bit, and the next windows should be 64bit only. 

Apple is not pushing enterprise, if they were, remote desktop would be built in to OSX, and they'd push OSX server a lot more.  Apple knows what it's niche is, and they are sticking to it for now.  The iphone is there to compete with the BlackBerry and other multi-capable cell phones, not MS.

Multicast imaging is extremely important, especially in the Higher Education market.  I enjoy the fact that I can image 40 machines at a time, remotely, sometimes without even touching the computer afterwords.

I was under the impression that VISTA is multithreaded.  My gripe is with 64bit support.  Windows 7 should be 64bit only.  All processors made in the last 4 years support 64bit, and the next windows should be 64bit only. 

Apple is not pushing enterprise, if they were, remote desktop would be built in to OSX, and they'd push OSX server a lot more.  Apple knows what it's niche is, and they are sticking to it for now.  The iphone is there to compete with the BlackBerry and other multi-capable cell phones, not MS.

Multicast imaging is extremely important, especially in the Higher Education market.  I enjoy the fact that I can image 40 machines at a time, remotely, sometimes without even touching the computer afterwords.

Its not fully threaded, leopard isn't fully threaded either. Linux isn't even fully threaded. Leopard is ahead of both but you still notice when its not, 10.6 will be 100% threaded for multi processor, multi core. And windows 7 should be 64bit only, its really stupid that they are not doing that. So we are going to have to wait another 5 years till windows 8 before its 64bit only.

And apple is going to start its push into enterprise next year with 10.6 snow leopard. http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/ they showed off a little yesterday, it will be 100% threaded, all the apps will be fully coco, and is adding full support for exchange built right in.

Adding exchange support is the first big step into the enterprise.

And they are adding OpenCL for GPU acceleration too everything.

Adding exchange support is nice, but what they need are administration tools, and better active directory support (cause its terrible in Leopard).  Things as simple as creating a default user template, are a bigger pain in the ass than they were in Tiger.  I hope they fix some of these things in snow leopard.

With all due respect. I just think, like tommy said it boils down to the cost. Both the pc and the mac have good and bad points. Most will say they will never buy a mac because of this or that, when in reality its the cost thats the factor. Most will just find a reason to dislike something that may be out of there reach money wise.

I have tried lynix, while super nice I just found it unstable on my pc. Sometime down the road I may load lynix on my slave again, try a diffrent flavor. Right now my fav is ubuntu. Things are always changing in the lynix world. I may load suse next time. Thats part of the reason I have a slave drive. Try diffrent flavors of lynix. Also enjoy diffrent flavors of xp. While I forsure own a legit xp pro key, I also have a friend that has several modified versions of xp I test drive. No I don't register them, I have 30 days, then its either delete or my xp key. Have yet to find a modified version I am ready to throw my extra legit xp pro key on to. but one never knows.