can't remove a virus, help me please!

TheArtworkGuy

once again i am in need of guidance.  i think i've been infected with a virus, because my computer has been randomly freezing up on me.  i've run

AVAST!

AD-AWARE

SPYBOT

multiple times and one of them deleted a trojan, but the problem still persists.  i opened up my list of processes and started googling them one by one, and noticed that i had three instances of svchost.exe running...i thought this was kind of suspicious, so i shut down a few of them.  apparently it's a critical system process and it gave me a 30 second countdown and restarted my computer, lol.

i'm running windows xp professional.

anyone have any ideas?

Many times a virus hides in your system restore points.Disabling that temporarily then running the scan usually gets rid of the virus.

The bad side of this is you lose the previous restore points.

So another form of backup is good to have before you do this.Of course a currant backup would have the virus but would get you back to where you are now if need be.

If all went well then you could just erase the backup with the virus.

What you really should do is boot up in Safe Mode w/ Networking and run the tools tommi suggested.

If that doesn't work, you may have to manually edit your registry. I will get into that later after you do that. ^^

• 2 weeks later...