Satellites, frequencies and accounts

greg_23805

I've learned some things in the last 2 days.

Suddenly 3 days ago signal strength would drop from 72 to 15. Adjustments to dish did no good. Called DWay, the manual params for satellite had me on G11 1350 frequency, couldn't keep a signal. DWay said they needed to send out installer because it was dish pointing issue. I refused to believe that so did not accept an appointment for technician. Went into setup and picked G11 1070 freq, voila, sig  strength 63, exited and it worked overnight but this morning, sig strength 15 again.

Checked setup and I'm back on 1350 frequency. Adjustments didn't help. Power cycling the modem, sig strength would be 72 and then drop to 15 almost right away. Called DWay back. Last call day before they said if I found a freq that was good, to call back and they would switch the account to that freq. Well, today they said there is no room on any other frequencies and I had to stay on 1370. hmm, then I asked, don't you mean 1350, NO, you are setup for 1370.

So I switched the freq to 1370 and sig strength was 15, highest I could get it was 19. Earlier I had ohmed cables, changed out the coupling block outside, switched the xmit and receive cables on both ends to see if it was receive cable, no help.

I've done a lot of adjusting of my sat dishes and knew that there was something else wrong. So I went on about con calls etc today to try and get some work done, meanwhile keeping the antenna pointing sig strength meter on the desktop. After it sat there for about an hour at 15 and bouncing to 30 and then back to 15, it suddenly went to 70 and stayed there for about 15 minutes, then dropped again. Incidentally, few if any clouds. Then about 20 minutes later it went back to 70 so I did an auto cross-pol and it passed. I then was able to re-register and now I have the connection back.

Very frustrating, not sure what was going on at NOC to finally get a good signal and it stay there. We'll see how long it lasts.

1. I think DWay will sometimes change me to a different frequency without me knowing. It happened in the past and I just adjusted for the new freq and moved on.

2. Adjusting the dish is a joke if you haven't been on a frequency before or try others then try to go back to the one you were on.

Anyhow, nothing about this is straight forward and I'm still not convinced that there wasn't something wrong on the NOC end. We'll see how long this signal lasts.

Also, I am on the pro plan and only get download speeds of 500-600 with the HN7000s modem. It sucks but I'll be damned if I'm messing with it anytime soon. when I first got the modem, speeds were around 1k.

• 1 month later...

Problems contact

http://www.reachtospace.org/show_info.php?p=mc[quote author=greg_23805

North American Division

Hughes Network Systems, LLC

11717 Exploration Lane

Germantown, MD 20876

301-428-7083

[email protected]

link=topic=23480.msg273146#msg273146 date=1212717690]

I

've learned some things in the last 2 days.

Suddenly 3 days ago signal strength would drop from 72 to 15. Adjustments to dish did no good. Called DWay, the manual params for satellite had me on G11 1350 frequency, couldn't keep a signal. DWay said they needed to send out installer because it was dish pointing issue. I refused to believe that so did not accept an appointment for technician. Went into setup and picked G11 1070 freq, voila, sig  strength 63, exited and it worked overnight but this morning, sig strength 15 again.

Checked setup and I'm back on 1350 frequency. Adjustments didn't help. Power cycling the modem, sig strength would be 72 and then drop to 15 almost right away. Called DWay back. Last call day before they said if I found a freq that was good, to call back and they would switch the account to that freq. Well, today they said there is no room on any other frequencies and I had to stay on 1370. hmm, then I asked, don't you mean 1350, NO, you are setup for 1370.

So I switched the freq to 1370 and sig strength was 15, highest I could get it was 19. Earlier I had ohmed cables, changed out the coupling block outside, switched the xmit and receive cables on both ends to see if it was receive cable, no help.

I've done a lot of adjusting of my sat dishes and knew that there was something else wrong. So I went on about con calls etc today to try and get some work done, meanwhile keeping the antenna pointing sig strength meter on the desktop. After it sat there for about an hour at 15 and bouncing to 30 and then back to 15, it suddenly went to 70 and stayed there for about 15 minutes, then dropped again. Incidentally, few if any clouds. Then about 20 minutes later it went back to 70 so I did an auto cross-pol and it passed. I then was able to re-register and now I have the connection back.

Very frustrating, not sure what was going on at NOC to finally get a good signal and it stay there. We'll see how long it lasts.

1. I think DWay will sometimes change me to a different frequency without me knowing. It happened in the past and I just adjusted for the new freq and moved on.

2. Adjusting the dish is a joke if you haven't been on a frequency before or try others then try to go back to the one you were on.

Anyhow, nothing about this is straight forward and I'm still not convinced that there wasn't something wrong on the NOC end. We'll see how long this signal lasts.

Also, I am on the pro plan and only get download speeds of 500-600 with the HN7000s modem. It sucks but I'll be damned if I'm messing with it anytime soon. when I first got the modem, speeds were around 1k.

I've learned some things in the last 2 days.

First of all you cannot pick a frequency of your own, each transponder has it's own frequency and polarization and is given to your from NOC (First Registration Process). The modem will automatically go back to your assigned frequency until NOC changes it. You may think you have changed it in the setup but once you reboot it goes right back to the assigned transponder so it is very important that it is adjusted to the highest possible numbers which I believe most installers don't have the time to do.

You mention a lot of adjusting on the sat dishes but don't confuse this with a TV dish, these transmit and are a great deal more sensitive. I got one of the first 2-way systems and it is still functioning steadily even after being moved to different locations and it is also on G11 -  1370.

Having problems as yours I would first check all ends of the coax for any corrosion and make sure the feedhorn is clear and no moisture behind the cover that can distort signal. I would go through and thoroughly eliminate problems on my end before calling and most of the time problem solved before making a call that can add more frustration.