Cable Cap Challenge

Dark06

Ok so I keep reading a lot about cable companies putting a cap on the bandwidth so im wondering if there is a program to measure how much of my bathwith im using.

If so i will try next month to dl stuff nonstop on all 3 of my computers and seed bit torrent (linux programs so it will be legal)  to hell to see how long it takes for me until i get a notice or a knock on the door

I want to maybe write a blog about it and maybe a documentary to see how long it takes and the benefits of unlimited vs caps and try to expose different sides of the story

Any1 want to help?

sent in the most bandwidth using sites or programs you know

I want to hear your opinions on weather you think this is something worth doing or not

What OS are you using. If vista  i'm sure there is a gadget for your network that will show you how much you have used since your computer has been on.

I just turned mine on, and I didn't think that I had really used this much for the past 9 days. I haven't really downloaded much.

EDIT: I did quick search, and it looks like this one would do it, but its not free might want to give the trial a try http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/Bandwidth-Meter-Pro.shtml

I got vista on my laptop

but i got 3 computers and the rest use xp and linux

i can maybe get a hold of 3 more comps just to have running as bit torrent servers or something

i want to max my connection to the max to get some media coverage on this or something

im going to also need to read my TOS carefully

their advertising says unlimited usage so if they stop me that would be false advertising which is a crime in texas

It would be better to have it measured in the router or modem

i would be willing to buy another router if any1 can find one that has something that can measure that

or flash my lynksys router

The only way they can put a cap on your monthly usage is that they have to change the ToS. But since they are too lazy to do that, they wont. No one(in this country at least) is gonna go with an ISP who puts a monthly limit on net usage. No need getting worked up over this crap !

The only way they can put a cap on your monthly usage is that they have to change the ToS. But since they are too lazy to do that, they wont. No one(in this country at least) is gonna go with an ISP who puts a monthly limit on net usage. No need getting worked up over this crap !

I'm no, you need to get worked up over this. Because they are doing it. And its not just cable companies. TWC is doing a 40GB cap in a market. Comcast will be startng caps for testing with a 250GB monthly cap. And now AT&T says they are going to start trials of caped internet service later this year. Sprint and verizon already do it on there wireless service with 5GB caps.

Saying they are too lazy to do that is a understatement. They are doing it right now. Comcast has an invisible cap right now, but no one really knows what it is.

The only reason they are really doing this is because the top 5% of users, use more then 50% of the network's usage. I personally think you should just kick that top 5% off. Bandwidth is so cheap now in this country its not even funny. I can buy 1TB of tier-1 bandwidth for $100. But TWC is only going to give you 40GB a month on there top plan which is I think $55 a month. The FCC should come in and say no you can't do that. But they aren't going to do anything if people don't speak up.

http://www.testmy.net/t-23457

You need to read that

and a lot of ISP are thinking about doing it

Most Cable companies to have caps because you share bandwidth with the whole neighborhood

when u dl to much u are in a way taking or at the very minimum interrupting others usage

But the caps are suppose to be so high it is mostly imossible to reach

but i want to just to see what would happen

That aint no shit. Now 250 would not be bad. I could always live with that.  :angel:

But yeah the 5 gig will bite a big one. I almost thought I was gonna be one of them.

250GB really isn't that much if you start to get into streaming media. Rent a few HD movies on iTunes or from nextflix and that is gone. It should be around 1TB a month.

Lets say you have a 10mbps connection, and it has a 300GB a month cap. If you really think about it its not a 10mbps connection, its only about a 1mbps connection.

10mbps can download a maximum of 3300GB a month, a 1mbps connection can download a maximum of 330gb a month. So really it would be a 1mbps that can burst to 10mbps.

So im interested in knowing if this is something worth fighting and if i stand a chance in case they try to do something and i need to take it to court

To you think that it is worth it if i get some media coverage on it?

yeah! there is some action must be takn regarding this speed over th internt services,perhaps where i am sitting to surf my e-mails,its also giving a very burst speed,as i am in other citi,i wish to get always updated with my mails & all,,but what to do with this sort of speed,ity looks iam wasting money out here........

Personally I think if you are paying for a service you should get it without restriction, I'm sorry they can't make mega profits on the public like they want. I think if there are restrictions they should be published not hidden until they are getting burnt. But then again the only one getting singled out are the ones using their service to the Max. Just my opinion! :wink:

Personally I think if you are paying for a service you should get it without restriction, I'm sorry they can't make mega profits on the public like they want. I think if there are restrictions they should be published not hidden until they are getting burnt. But then again the only one getting singled out are the ones using their service to the Max. Just my opinion! :wink:

They do make massive money off the public. The $50 bucks a month you spend for internet, they keep about 90% of that, the other 10% goes for network upgrades/maintenance. If you think they actually pay for bandwidth your dead wrong. ISP basically get a free ride with peering relationships. 

The only people that actually pay for bandwidth are ones running websites.

lol get this tommie i upgraded this one real estate lady that works with my parents from hughes to sprint =) she really likes it.. though i hadda rig the network... long story

getting about 2.8 mbps down and 1.2 mbps up with powervision 95% signal

lol get this tommie i upgraded this one real estate lady that works with my parents from hughes to sprint =) she really likes it.. though i hadda rig the network... long story

getting about 2.8 mbps down and 1.2 mbps up with powervision 95% signal

Thats pretty good, so when you gonna come work on mine?  :wink: I think my tower is just too busy, hmmm....reminds me of someone...  :grin:

But it still beats hughes. I get good signal, but I just can only get good speeds of an evening.

Obviously you have never read any of the ISP's TOSs.

Basiclly they all say that the company can do anything at any time for any reason or even for no reason that they feel like doing and that you the user will like it.

And they also explicitly state that they do not even have to provide the service at all but you are still required to pay for it as long as you have an account with them.

Don't believe me?

Go read the one that applies to you, that is, if you can ferret it out on your provider's website.

And they also explicitly state that they do not even have to provide the service at all but you are still required to pay for it as long as you have an account with them.

Don't believe me?

Go read the one that applies to you, that is, if you can ferret it out on your provider's website.

They woudl still have to provide service. It would not hold up in court. Like those trucks tha say do not ride within 250' behind them. It will not hold up in court. They still have to buy the windshields.  :uglystupid2: And the ISP still has to provide a service in order to expect to get paid. Thats  called fraud.  :downtown: