Firefox 3 Vulnerability...Well that did not take long......

ninjageek

Five hours after Mozilla officially released Firefox 3.0, researchers found a vulnerability in the new browser.

Tipping Point has verified the bug and reported it to Mozilla, Tipping Point said on Wednesday.

Since Mozilla is still working on a fix, the researchers won't share details about the problem. Tipping Point ranked the severity of the vulnerability as high, but said that users would have to click on a link in an e-mail or visit a malicious Web page before being affected. The issue affects users of Firefox 3.0 as well as Firefox 2.0 .

Once the problem is fixed, Tipping Point will publish an advisory on its Web site, it said.

Tipping Point found out about the vulnerability through its Zero Day Initiative, which lets researchers earn cash by submitting new vulnerabilities to the company. Once Tipping Point validates the issue, it pays the researcher for the information and notifies the relevant software vendor of the technical details.

Mozilla did not respond to a request for comment.

Mozilla launched its newest browser on Tuesday along with a marketing stunt that went a bit wrong. The company announced that it wanted to set a Guinness World Record for the largest number of software downloads in a 24-hour period. However, the volume of downloads crippled Mozilla's site, and so customers in the U.S. couldn't begin downloading the software until two hours later than expected. Still, Mozilla said it logged more than 8 million downloads within 24 hours. There is currently no record for number of software downloads in a day, but Mozilla must now wait for review of the stunt by Guinness officials.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080619/tc_pcworld/147277

As if this is weird, or anything out of the ordinary. Vulnerabilities are found all the time, and it's very likely for one to to be known by hackers, but not by Mozilla themselves, so it's not fixed as fast.

Five hours after Mozilla officially released Firefox 3.0, researchers found a vulnerability in the new browser.

Since Mozilla is still working on a fix, the researchers won't share details about the problem. Tipping Point ranked the severity of the vulnerability as high, but said that users would have to click on a link in an e-mail or visit a malicious Web page before being affected. The issue affects users of Firefox 3.0 as well as Firefox 2.0 .

Well at least no one that uses Firefox will ever click a link in an e-mail or ever visit a "malicious" website. So you're still safe.  :uglystupid2:  :evil6:  :evil6:

I told my friends a several years ago, before FF was very popular, that the reason it's safe is because it's not fun to hack a system that only a relative handful of people use. Now that more people use it, and feel smugly safe in doing so, they are finding out that FF isn't the answer to all their online security problems. Mac computers are safe too, but as they gained popularity in recent years, vulnerabilities were discovered there as well.

As long as you use common sense, and do your scans for spyware, No worries. One of the reasons I use opera. While I am sure it has some vulnerability's, I just find it works, and on my machine its faster than firefox. Just don't let this news stop you from using firefox. If you like it, and it works fine on your computer, then continue to use it.

Yea it doesn't make any since, it reads the same bookmark file. The only way it wouldn't would be if you told it not too import any bookmarks.

Oddage. it didnt even ask, just installed and bam! absoluteluy nothing saved but cookies and saved form entries. No bookmarks, history, anything.. :(