Slow Comcast Wireless Internet

aznramenboi

This is the result of my latest test.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 799 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 4096 kB)

Download Speed is:: 98 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/06/25 - 4:31pm

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.45 sec

Tested from a 4096 kB file and took 41.987 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 12.9 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-LQ2C9XR1K

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 [!]

Hm. I'm not really sure what to do. I've cleaned my computer of spyware, viruses and trojans. I've also ran ccleaner and updated the firmware for my router which is a wgr614v7. My wireless adapter is a wusb54gv4 and I'm using WPA-Personal encryption--if that helps. Hm, I'm pretty sure my advertised speeds should be 8mpbs, but I would be satisfied with at least 4 or 5. I know if I used an ethernet connection it would probably be faster, but cables are too much of a hassle for this household. Please can someone help me? Any advice would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a problem. I am using the same Linksys WRT54GS wireless router I had in Houston with the same laptop (Dell Inspiron with 1390 wireless mini card) but I can only get about 1/2 of my download speed after moving to the Chicago area. My upload is still very good, as you can see. I can hard wire to the router and get just over the 6 meg advertised speed but my wireless speed is terrible all of a sudden.

share2-6YLS21CXD&dual=yes&q2=JL89EOZSW

The battery in my laptop needs to be replaced (I get a notification on startup) but I usually have it plugged in to an electrical outlet anyway. Does anyone know if the battery has anything to do with it? The reason I ask that is I also have another laptop and a desktop connected to the router wirelessly and they have no speed issues.

I feel your Pain.  Comcast in the Midwest (even West St. Paul) is not always so good.  Believe it or not, sometimes my data flow is actually routed through the Chicago area.  I pay for a 50/5 service  That's supposed to be 50Meg down & 5 Meg up.  See BEST test result EVER in Sig.  I can't tell you how many techs I have had out over the last 6 years.  They're the only game in town here, even though I live in a suburb of St. Paul.  What are you going to do ???

If you'd like, I can explain what I've learned through these times that may actually help your talks with support to at least get them to tune you to the best you can be ...

Let me know,

Doug

its wireless, its not going to be the same as a hard line. there will be drops as well as weak signals. Best bet is to try and get a signal amp for dead spots of the house. that way you know there is a signal anywhere you go in the house. you could reboot the router and modem and see if that helps any.