Speed test

Kiro2mio

Hi everyone:cry2:

I have a new isp at Jacksonville florida that was bellsouth and now at&t and they have this program to their speed test call speed.fastaccess.com and they allways said that my speed is ok but I lag in every game online that I have but my PC is good in everything so far.They make me run a test with their program and everything is ok with my speed and they said my pc is bad,if they come to my house they will charge me $80.00 to say my pc is bad.Thats for reading this post and please someone give me a hint on this and thanks.

Welcome to testmy.net Kiro2mio

Post your advertised upload and download speeds, ( what you should be getiing), your basic network layout, your basic PC specs, and do a few speed tests, upload and download . The tests are located on the top of the pages here, in the upper laft hand corner. Post the results, and your information, and we'll get you the help you need, and try to save you that 80 bucks they want.  Also you may want to post what games your playing online .

Just make sure everything you post is "readable" as possible.  :)

Thanks to tell me about the test that I forgot to post here and the specs of my PC.OK the speed that I have is 6 Megs download and 512bps.Now is ruining at speed 4.9  Megs download and 402.9 bps check no bugs or virus and my specs of my PC are:(1)OS XP PRO SP2 Version 2002 (2)AMD Athlon 64 bit Processor 3700+ 2.21 ghz (3)Kingstons Hyper 1.5GB of ram physical address extension (4)EVGA  Nvidia Ge force 7800 GT 256 Mb 256 bit GDDR33 PCI-Express -express(5) DVD burner 20x SATA Sony (6) Western Digital Hard drive WD740 74Bytes 10,000  RPM (7) Asus A8N-SLI socket 939 Nvidia nforce4 SLI ATX AMD motherboard (8) Power supply Xion Real Xon ATX12v v.2.01 (600) watts  :shocked:

• 4 weeks later...

your using DSL.

there are a lot of variables that can affect what your speeds. the biggest one is how far are you from the main distribution site.if you live right next to it, you will have awesome performance from your DSL, but get 2 miles from it and your speed can and will drop off. thru my own experience i lived less than 1 mile from the main server and yet i had really piss poor performance with it. i was paying for extreme and i was lucky to get snail speed.the cause was how they had the trunk lines run  in my area. it ended up being almost 4 miles before they got to my connection. secondly if the wires coming in are not in to good of shape they can and do affect it all so. have them set you up a dedicated line for the DSL and it will help with some of the speed problems.

hope this adds a little light on it for you.

DSL= BAD!

CABLE=GOOD! :haha:

hi there,

I've read your post and you say your isp provider is bellsouth which is now AT&T. Well, I used to work as a call center agent who take your calls here in the Philippines regarding technical problems for bellsouth internet and I tell you even if they merged with at&t there connection really sux. So with all the training and seminar given by bellsouth representatives who came all the way from the United States, one thing for sure they really are a mess up.

Here are some tips:

1. Don't install any software that comes from them even there antivirus software it does not work.

2. I agree that when your far from the location of the base station where your cables are connected you get slow speed.

3. Turn off your windows firewall.

4. Select notify me but automatically download and install in the window update.

5. Go to run type msconfig, select services, check mark hide all microsoft service, disable all then restart pc.

6. Make sure you don't have any interference coming from radio speakers, microwave, flouresent light, and even the street light outside your house could interfere with your connection.

7. Download mozilla as your browser, it is not as sensitive as IE, install and choose don't import anything.

8. In your antivirus software control settings, locate and find exceptions and add your online game exe files as exceptions.

Tips to calling there techtalking no help guys.

You see when we work its all work in there and we get a lot of pressures so we as tech support really hide our feeling when you call. Sometimes when you stumble a tech who just logged in on his shift, he might still have a fresh and cool mind so he helps you with all your problems until he can't do it and calls assistance from a tier2 tech until nothing is solved hehe, that's the routine all day long inside there.

1. Tell them you already power cycled your connection.

2. while talking to them open cmd and ping there server 192.168.1.254 continuously type: ping 192.168.1.254 /t then hit enter

3. tracert also any website the you know:

Type tracert www.yahoo.com then enter

if you see a lot of asterisk this means its a problem with at&t

4.Techs there could open port forwarding to host your online game, so be sure you know the port of your online game. To be sure email the support group of your online game so they would tell you what port should be opened. Then call at&t and tell them to port forward the ports the online game support team gave you.

5. If you're so desperate on sending a technician in your place to check for wiring bluff the call center agent that if the problem is on your part you would pay the $80.00 dollar charge and if its there problem tell them to get a rebate.And tell them to tell the tech who is dropping by to bring an extra modem just to be sure.

This is if you are sure that there is no problem on your computer. Sometimes those tech guys they are sending don't know what they are doing coz all your data is seen on our part, coz we could disconnect you, reconnect you, reset your connection and activate your account. 

I could tell more of Bellsouth and AT&T's black side story but I hope this would help you.

I'll be glad to help you more just let me know.

your using DSL.

there are a lot of variables that can affect what your speeds. the biggest one is how far are you from the main distribution site.if you live right next to it, you will have awesome performance from your DSL, but get 2 miles from it and your speed can and will drop off. thru my own experience i lived less than 1 mile from the main server and yet i had really piss poor performance with it. i was paying for extreme and i was lucky to get snail speed.the cause was how they had the trunk lines run  in my area. it ended up being almost 4 miles before they got to my connection. secondly if the wires coming in are not in to good of shape they can and do affect it all so. have them set you up a dedicated line for the DSL and it will help with some of the speed problems.

hope this adds a little light on it for you.

DSL= BAD!

CABLE=GOOD! :haha:

Hi there I have a question about Dsl and Cable.Ok what you thinkwho is better cable or dsl?

Fixed your quote :)