Buying new Tv

justinlay

Im about to go out and buy a new tv for the living room. Here's a couple ive been looking at. Im open to suggestions and I have a price limit of 1400 bucks

Sharp 46" 1080p (I can get 10% off here)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9135651

Toshiba Regza 42" 1080p

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753743&type=product&id=1202649765592

Insignia 42" 1080p

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8632802&type=product&id=1194052334530

Of the 3 there, the Toshiba is the best. Stay away from the insignia. The shap is also very good, the picture wont have as good of colors as the toshiba and wont be as sharp with fast moving images. The toshiba regza is there top of the line right now, and there processor they use is one of the best, for being built into the TV.

Its basically up to you, if you want the extra 4in, both are really good.

If it was my choice I would go with the toshiba. Have you looked at samsung?

Of the 3 there, the Toshiba is the best. Stay away from the insignia. The shap is also very good, the picture wont have as good of colors as the toshiba and wont be as sharp with fast moving images. The toshiba regza is there top of the line right now, and there processor they use is one of the best, for being built into the TV.

Its basically up to you, if you want the extra 4in, both are really good.

If it was my choice I would go with the toshiba. Have you looked at samsung?

Yah the tv I want the most is the Toshiba, I was kinda skeptical about the sharp sence it wasnt the aquos line of tv. Ive also looked at samsung they make really good lcd, but wish the price were more around the toshiba

Would this samsung be as good or better than that toshiba?

samsung 46" 1080p

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=175544&c=1

That one is also very good. Its not a top of the line samsung, but its still a samsung TV, and they are all very good.

It will come down to, if you really want the extra 4" or not. Both will put out a really good picture, the toshiba will be a little better because that toshiba is there higher end regza line, but the samsung will still be really good.

You can't go wrong with either one. I have a 42" samsung in my bedroom, and a toshiba in my living room and I love them both, We (the company I work for) only use toshiba, and samsung when we do installs that will use a regular Tv.

That one is also very good. Its not a top of the line samsung, but its still a samsung TV, and they are all very good.

It will come down to, if you really want the extra 4" or not. Both will put out a really good picture, the toshiba will be a little better because that toshiba is there higher end regza line, but the samsung will still be really good.

You can't go wrong with either one. I have a 42" samsung in my bedroom, and a toshiba in my living room and I love them both, We (the company I work for) only use toshiba, and samsung when we do installs that will use a regular Tv.

I may just go with the toshiba from best buy I have a 12% off coupon i can use towards it. Thanks for the advise. Going to pick it up today can wait to get it hooked up  :smile2:

I've picked up 2 tv's from Best Buy and only had a lamp problem with the Rear Projection. They sent some one right over to correct the issue in a totally painless procedure. I would recommend them to anyone just for customer service alone! I've spen over $12,000.00 in electronic purchases from them store and never a problem with anything else. Enjoy your Toshiba ... that would be my choice as well.

My gf just bought herself a new t.v. Got the 37 inch vizo that is just sweet. Got it at wall mart. For whatever its worth. I would get the extended warranty. Its only 50 bucks and that covers just about everything for the next 2 years. That kicks in when the normal warranty is done. Think all together the warranty is about 4 years. Covers everything.

Oh sales lady also told us make a few copies of the receipt. The one you just get from the register will fade in time, but the copies will last forever. If your like the rest of us poor people, this is a one time buy. Get the extended warranty so you won't have to worry about replaceing it. Just a thought. Enjoy your t.v.

Oh we went with the lcd as well. Plasmas are nice, just hear to many bad things about them.

I would also recommend getting the extended protection plan with any LCD or plasma set.

I didn't and it cost me almost $500.00 for a power supply board for my Akai plasma set just 3 months after the warranty expired on it.

Would have been close to $800.00 if I hadn't installed it myself.

My next set will be an LCD.

Plasmas are power hogs and generate massive amounts of heat.

Plasmas are power hogs and generate massive amounts of heat.

You think Plasmas generate a lot of heat, get a decent sized LCD and you will really feel some heat. Plasma TV's have fans in them to remove the heat, LCD's don't, and after a little bit of being on, they become room heaters.

My Akai plasma set has no cooling fans.

That's why the SMPS board failed.

When it is on you can hold your hand 18 inches away from the screen and still feel the heat from it.

It uses almost 600 watts of power when on.

Some LCD models of the same size use less than 250 watts.

BTW my next set will not be an Akai model.

The failed board in mine had 5 headers on it for fans, all unused.

It's been 2 years since I replaced the board and it is still working but it wouldn't surprise me at any time to turn it on and see nothing but the blinking error code on the red LED on it.

Note for those who like the brand Samsung: This Akai I have was made by Samsung; the only thing Akai on it is the brand name.

Note for those who like the brand Samsung: This Akai I have was made by Samsung; the only thing Akai on it is the brand name.

Just because it was "made by" Samsung doesn't mean it's the same as the ones they sell with there name on it. Samsung sells many Low grade panels too tons of manufactories, and they always have problems. We have used probably close to 10,000 samsung LCD's over the past few years and not one has had a problem, From my experience samsung is by far the best.

I agree about Samsung branded quality.

I have never had a problem with any Samsung product I own.

The Samsung branded plasma set that is almost  identical to my Akai  HAS 3 cooling fans in it.

The Akai brand SMPS board I got from an Akai service center was $545.00 but they generously gave me a 10% discount on it.

I later discovered that the exact same board with the Samsung name on it was only $340.00 and the old board had a core value of $50.00.

Live and learn...

Well its been about 2 days now and the toshiba has an excellent picture, all my dvds, and even bluray look much better than my old philips

Man I'de like to get something like that, but i don't watch enough TV to justify it, I will someday. But glad you did it again, and glad your happy.  :)

Man I'de like to get something like that, but i don't watch enough TV to justify it, I will someday. But glad you did it again, and glad your happy.  :)

Yah plan on keeping this one for a while. later down the road may get one for the bedroom. The only problem i have found with this tv is my center channel speaker block the remote signal so im going to haft to find another place for the center. Other than that the tv is awesome

Yah plan on keeping this one for a while. later down the road may get one for the bedroom. The only problem i have found with this tv is my center channel speaker block the remote signal so im going to haft to find another place for the center. Other than that the tv is awesome

awe, what a dilemma  :haha: :haha:  No seriously, why don't you hang it ?