Intermittent Disconnects; Cannot Flush DNS

hottestarcher

Just recently, I received an sms from SmartBro saying that the basestation in our area (Meycauayan) will undergo maintenance. I wasn't able to surf the 'Net until around 10 pm. I then noticed that I keep getting disconnected from the Internet and I'm now unable to download files from uTorrent. I then tried to do use the basic repair function of my connection but I keep getting this error message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Clearing the DNS cache. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network". I also tried to disable and reenable my connection but I'm still encountering the same problem. I even tried to do it in the command prompt. ipconfig /release and /renew works fine but whenever I try to flush the dns (ipconfig /flushdns), I keep getting this error: "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.". I don't have time to call SmartBro so I sent them an email instead. I still haven't received any response from them. I hope I provided all the information that you need to help me with my problem. Thanks in advance.

Just recently, I received an sms from SmartBro saying that the basestation in our area (Meycauayan) will undergo maintenance. I wasn't able to surf the 'Net until around 10 pm. I then noticed that I keep getting disconnected from the Internet and I'm now unable to download files from uTorrent. I then tried to do use the basic repair function of my connection but I keep getting this error message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Clearing the DNS cache. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network". I also tried to disable and reenable my connection but I'm still encountering the same problem. I even tried to do it in the command prompt. ipconfig /release and /renew works fine but whenever I try to flush the dns (ipconfig /flushdns), I keep getting this error: "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.". I don't have time to call SmartBro so I sent them an email instead. I still haven't received any response from them. I hope I provided all the information that you need to help me with my problem. Thanks in advance.

same prob i encounter with smartbro then.  just give it a few days and maybe ur conn will return to normal. even if u call their "customer assistance" they will just tell u the usual thing i.e. ping this,ping that, delete cookies, update every other progs in ur pc etc.,maybe in 2-3 days ur conn will normalize, just be patient. im not. i switch to globe  :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

I had this happen once, i went into network settings, and created a new connection, it seems to me i either had to bridge the two, or i had a bad network device. Try this, post up your results.

I don't understand how to do that. I tried creating a new connection but I cannot successfully create one. What are the options that I have to choose?

Get to network settings from control panel, when you get there , youll see whatever connectionr u have, right click in the field, your options wil be 2 create a new one as well as bridge conections. You can bridge by highligting two or more of the shown connections. Are u sure your existing device is good? I would go grab a cheap ethernet card if your not able to try ceating the new connection.  Just play around a bit, familairize yourself w/ as much as u can.

Get to network settings from control panel, when you get there , youll see whatever connectionr u have, right click in the field, your options wil be 2 create a new one as well as bridge conections. You can bridge by highligting two or more of the shown connections. Are u sure your existing device is good? I would go grab a cheap ethernet card if your not able to try ceating the new connection.  Just play around a bit, familairize yourself w/ as much as u can.

I bought my card last year. I really think has something to do with my ISP (SmartBro) :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem isn't with your ISP - it's with a service on your computer.

To fix it,

1. Click Start >> Run >> and type "services.msc" and click OK.

This will take you to the list of Services hidden in the Administrative Tools.

2. In the list of services, click "DNS Client".

3. Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.

4. If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:a.  Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.

b.  In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.

c.  Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

Basically the issue here is just that your DNS client isn't even running, therefore you can't flush it! :o)

The problem isn't with your ISP - it's with a service on your computer.

To fix it,

1. Click Start >> Run >> and type "services.msc" and click OK.

This will take you to the list of Services hidden in the Administrative Tools.

2. In the list of services, click "DNS Client".

3. Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.

4. If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:a.  Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.

b.  In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.

c.  Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

Basically the issue here is just that your DNS client isn't even running, therefore you can't flush it! :o)

thanks. i'll try it and see if it works :)