help me out

dirtysanchez

i have the Cox 5mb down 2mb up plan but my upload speed is extremely slow...it used to be over 500Kbps now its down to 192Kbps and im finally deciding to get this at the right speed of 2MB!!! help me get the speed im paying for.

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 5880 Kbps about 5.88 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 718 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 192 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 23 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/07/20 - 7:27pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-N4WOZ8C5P

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-I6E38OUFM

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1

edit: i am using speedguide's tcp optimizer for 5mb

I'm not familiar with Cox seeing as though my isp is Comcast. But it took a looong time and alot of complaining for them to update my street. worst case scenario is your area network is out of date like mine. If youre lucky its a simple static issue within your house network ie: cabling kinks or bad spliter. Cox will start there if its not your pc, modem or router. have they ran any tests on there end checking to see if your modem is in the red? thats the first check point...

One thing i noticed a long while back, when i did the cablenut tweaks. My neighborhood was out of date and sluggish, but i was able to (with cablenut) bring my download speeds way up. Strangly at the cost of my upload drastically... once my neighborhood was updated (2.5 years of complaining constantly) i was able to not only hit my upload, but with cablenut exceed it greatly (along with download of course). so you need a starting point ie: multi pc's to check speed at your home, to eliminate your given machine. secondly cox needs to check your modem and look for any red flags ie: feed back. next would be cable or splitter issues. lastly, after a lot of complaining, they just miiight check your area network for any issues. GL

122 views not even 1 reply?

great site this is...

After that, you should be thankful anyone is willing to help you.  Im sure most of those views were from guests, and search engine robots.  Try using an upload test with a larger file size.  Anything less than 1MB isn't really accurate enough for broadband upload speeds.

First thing to do is check with your neighbors to see if they are getting the same performance as you.

If they are also getting slow upload performance then, most likely, Cox has allocated the available bandwidth in a way that keeps the minimum number of users complaining.

Pretty much standard operating procedure for all ISPs.

If it is just you then contact Cox's tech support.