Slow internet speeds on just my laptop, please help!

Guest Furtwangler

Guest Furtwangler

So, I'm at a relatives house that has really fast roadrunner. Her computer is getting about 900kb/s down, which is great, but my laptop, whether it is wired, wireless or w/e is capping at like 200. I never noticed this before since my internet at my house is satellite and won't go higher than like 90kb/s.

I know it isn't the router, since my relatives computer is fine,  and it's not the internet for the same reason, so what do you guys think could be bottle necking my computer like it is? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

So, I'm at a relatives house that has really fast roadrunner. Her computer is getting about 900kb/s down, which is great, but my laptop, whether it is wired, wireless or w/e is capping at like 200. I never noticed this before since my internet at my house is satellite and won't go higher than like 90kb/s.

I know it isn't the router, since my relatives computer is fine,  and it's not the internet for the same reason, so what do you guys think could be bottle necking my computer like it is? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Go ahead and post you operating system, what if any  " registry tweaking " programs your using.

Guest Furtwangler

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Clevo Co.

System Model: M570RU

BIOS: BIOS Revision:  1.00.02cS

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU    T7300  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 938MB used, 2999MB available

The speed doesn't increase whether I'm using wireless or wired, which is the weird part. It makes me think it is the router or the modem, but I get the same speed from the modem itself, and the other computer gets higher speeds with both as well.

I just recently (after I discovered the problem) used CCleaner and cleaned some registry stuff, I haven't touched anything else in the registry.