Monitor stuck in power save mode! I can't see anything!

altoidz

Okay so I was out of town so I'm not sure what happened, but I have returned home today to find out my computer doesn't work! My sister was using it, and she said she went to my cousin's house and came back to return that there was no more display. S#!t like this always happens when I leave the house.

Right now, I try to boot up my computer, but only stare at a black screen, but I can press a button on it telling me it's in power save mode and to press a key or move the mouse to activate my monitor, but this does nothing.

The monitor is a 19" Dell E173FP.

The rest of the specs are Intel Quad Core, 4GB Mushkin RAM, and a 8800GTX, 800W power supply from NZXT, in a Thermaltake Armor Jr case.

I'm assuming it's not the power supply since the computer turns on, I've tried switching the ram modules around but to no avail, and I don't think it's the graphics card because the fan still turns on and is spinning. I have also tried another monitor but that doesn't work either. I'd like to test the video card but my other computer has no PCI-E slot. I just can't see anything on the screen! Anybody have a solution? Thanks.

Ah sorry I seem to have edited my post too late. Yes, everything powers on, but I can't see anything on the monitor. Usually there is this beep. I turn the computer on, monitor still has an orange light, I hear a beep, it turns green, I can see the bootup screen. Now this beep is absent, and the monitor light remains orange, meaning it is inactive.

Yes I have tried another monitor, which I know works (the monitor for this computer I am on right now). It doesn't work on the the other computer though.

is there a chance my graphics card could be broken if the fan still spins?

Yes it could be bad even if the fan spins.

Also, someone may have inadvertently changed the resolution to something the monitor may not handle, the only thing that stops me from believing this, is the  " beep " you say isn't there anymore.

Have you reset the BIOS by moving the correct jumper , or just pulling the battery for 30 seconds yet ?

Yes it could be bad even if the fan spins.

Also, someone may have inadvertently changed the resolution to something the monitor may not handle, the only thing that stops me from believing this, is the  " beep " you say isn't there anymore.

Have you reset the BIOS by moving the correct jumper , or just pulling the battery for 30 seconds yet ?

Yah thats true. changing the resolution would also do that.. I forgot about reseting bios :idiot2:

No I have not done either, reason being. I'm not really sure how. I don't see a jumper switch (it should be near my CMOS right?) and the battery seems pretty tight on there. Am I supposed to pretty much just wrap my fingers around it and yank?

The picture is a little fuzzy. What you are looking for is a small block with Cmos next to it and it has 3 pins with a jumper block on 2 of the pins. with everything off moove the block to the 1st and 2nd Pin for a few seconds and then move it back and that should reset the CMOS