Speed issue. Modem ?

bass

Hello everyone. didn't see any posts quite like what I've been going thru.

Heres the deal. A day ago i noticed my internet going on and off. I couldnt load my pages. And when I tryied to make a call on my digital phone - people couldnt hear me talk. So i ran speed test

here's the results

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 10114 Kbps about 10.11 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1235 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 221 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 27 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/06 - 12:25am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TV2JF1QBS

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9K65PCFLD

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16

actually my upload was at 9 - 10 kB/s  at that time

it used to be 240 kB/s  max

Naturally, i called RR tech support. They said my modem is giving intermittent results. transfered to local office, coz i wanted to know if i could just come in and swap the modem in the office. When i got local tech guy on the phone somehow, i thought it was gonna be billing or such, he siad they JUST fixed the outage. Checked my modem stats and said they are normal.

Here they are  btw:

Name

WebSTAR DPX2203

Modem Serial Number

edit

Cable Modem MAC Address

edit

Hardware Version

v2.1

Software Version

v1.1.2r1151-070508

Receive Power Level

-7.2 dBmV

Transmit Power Level

37.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status

Operational

Downstream Status

Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency

609000000 Hz

Modulation

256QAM

Bit Rate

15376384 bits/sec

Power Level

-7.0 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio

37.8 dB

Upstream Status

Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency

29504000 Hz

Modulation

16QAM

Bit Rate

2048000 bits/sec

Power Level

37.0 dBmV

So at this point he couldnt tell me much except to schedule a guy to come out. He did reset the modem for me, but that didnt help. still slow upload.

So this is what i dont understand - d/l is great, so that means connection is good and everything... SNR is good and power levels are good... 

I dont have splitters. it goes straight from the pole (thicker cable) to a connector on the outside of the house ( to a thinner , normal cable) and that cable is plugged in straight to modem. I dont have any routers. Using ethernet cable, not USB.

BTW my upload should be around 1.5 Mbps. normally it used to be at 240 kB/s

What just recently happened was that i got a new IP address coz i didnt pay in time and got soft disconnected for a couple of days. In their system I'm fully paid up, with no balance now. So when i got internet back the same day it started.... I thought may be its my new IP address or something. Or when they disconnected me they messed up my modem or something.

My next step will be to march in the office and swap the modem for a non-refurbished preferably different brand....

Any suggestions?  :angry:

First welcome to the forum! :welcome: You know it might be something as simple as changing the Ethernet cable from the modem to the comp or a bad node your going through.

i'll try ethernet. but then again if it was bad would my down speed suffer?

what is a bad node ?  :undecided:

tried connecting it with USB. but the computer will not see new hardware after even trying several USB ports  and restarting.

Of course i had unplugged ethernet cable beforehand. By trying USB i thought to make sure it wasnt my NIC, but .....  :shocked:

speed is back up. If anyone runs into similar issue, I'll tell ya what I did.  :roll: All I did was to press the reset button in the back of the modem for 10 seconds. I dont know if it needed to be that long but anyways...

So apparently when they reset your modem (long distance) from the office - its not the same as you resetting it with that button.

:azn: