6600LE or 7600GS - Which will work better

x_6985381

I've yet to see any benchmarks between the two yet I've found countless forum postings saying that they are rather the same performance. Currently I'm stuck back on my old computer, waiting the arrival of my RMA 680i LT, So I was just wondering which will be better to run on this system.

350W PSU

Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0Ghz (Locked) x15 multiplier - Hyper-threading Enabled

Intel 915G Motherboard - 200FSB

7600GS 400 Core // 400 Memory (GDDR2) 16x↑ - 1x↓

6600LE 300 Core // 400 Memory (GDDR) 16x↑ - 16x↓

So which would you prefer, with the 7600 you only get 1x pci-e link width with the motherboard supporting 16x link width. But with the 6600 you get 16x Up and Down. I'm not sure where to turn, although the 7600GS does have GDDR2, which would you choose?

the 7600 is quite a bit faster.

Think about it for a bit. When does the video card ever have to send anything back to the CPU? the CPU is doing the processing then sending it to the video card to be displayed. The video card rarely ever sends anything down back to the CPU.

The only thing the video card really sends down back to the CPU is a message saying ok i'm done with that what now?

Think about the physical PCIe 'slot." There is an x1 slot which contains 1 electrical 'lane', an x2 slot with 2, and x4 slot with 4 and an x8 slot with 8. In truth calling it an x16 slot is a bit of BS, it is the same slot in every physical sense as an x8 slot (as is a theoretical x32 slot), it is just 2 "bundles" of 8 lanes instead of one. They are basically selling a non truth ,there used to be something called a PEG slot (PCI Express Graphics) that was the x8 form factor designated for graphics use. Might want to think about this when your payin what you pay.