Avast let me down. :(

scdreamin3

Hello gang. Been away for a while because I had a BIG problem with a little virus.  :angry: Somehow, through downloading an app. somewhere, I obtained a virus. Avast was good, it alerted me to the fact that I had a virus and offered to s**tcan it for me. I proceded to quarantine the son of a gun. Well something must not have clicked with Avast, and so I had to try to restore my comp.Don't get me wrong. I love Avast and still have it even now. This is a one time incident in well over 4 years.

I always back up my drive frequently in case such an event happens. Well somehow the virus wiped out all of my restore points as well. OK, no problem, time to go to plan B. I pull out my handy dandy copy of the reinstallation cd that came with the comp. We're cooking now....everything is going to be fine. Wrong!  After going through the process of formatting the drive, it goes into the copying of files for installation. I get to 2% and BAM! "unable to copy file mvboli.tts" or something like that. Well, ok, maybe just one file, so I hit escape to skip said file. Well all in all, there were approximately 20 files that I ended up having to skip. I figured maybe I could download the files from Microsoft later. After finishing windows reboots and starts to go into the final installation mode and nanu nanu! *error*. "Stop 0000021A. The Windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000135. The system has been shut down." 

Oh Great! So then and only then I actually examine the reinstallation cd. It is scratched up worse than two high school girls after a catfight. Bummer. Hmm, I forgot, I have a copy of Ubuntu that was sent to me through the mail from the Island of Man. (Where tha heck is the Island of Man, about 10 nautical miles away from the islet of Woman?) Anyway, so all is not lost, I will just install Ubuntu. I heard that linux is a cool operating system, I'm going to give it a try.

So I get Ubuntu all installed. It looks pretty neat, definately different than Windows. Then, the last straw! The drivers I have for my phone to use as a modem are all windows files. Linux does not recognize those files. Grrrr!!! Ok, maybe time for plan D - - pick up my computer, take it out in the back yard, dig a hole, place said computer in hole, cover with charcoal lighter fluid, ignite with a match, and BURN baby BURN. Well I didn't get that drastic. My mom has the same computer as I do, and I had the software for my Western Digital hard drive. And no, there were not any scratches on that cd, thank goodness. I just copied all of the files off Mom's hard drive to mine, including Windows XP.

And so here I am. Missed ya'll and I hope not to have that happen again. It has been an ordeal, let me tell ya. So, question. Does anyone have any suggestions for (free or next to free) anti-virus software? I think I will stick with Avast, but just checking my options.  I know I tried CA antivirus and antispy, but it is just TOO busy and took up so much memory. The same can be said for Norton. I tried that too.

That's an even better plan. I really don't understand what joy they get out of such a thing. Oh, and an update. I am almost finished getting things back the way I like them. If the d**n hackers only knew how many hours it takes to redo everything. Ah, they probably do know. Jerks.

I highly recommend AVG Free (Found here)

Not only has it never let me down, it's foot print is still small, compared to other anti-virus software.

Meaning (not limited to) frozen computer while scanning, or with it's always monitoring system wont really slow you down.

The only way this is a good program is if it's updated regularly, they update almost every day so it shouldn't really be a problem.

I've yet to see AVG let me down, and earlier this morning I also tried Avast, it found simple things AVG did not, but missed the bigger, more 'dangerous files' that AVG grasped on to. All I can say is that stick with what you like, AVG is aimed at people who know their way around computers, but has a rather easy userface. Have fun, stay clean. :smile2:

I use AVG and I don't notice any difference when it running or not. These speed test are done while it is scanning my machine. I have Insightbb 10/1. :cool:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 10642 Kbps about 10.6 Mbps (tested with 12280 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1299 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/12 - 6:13am

Bottom Line:: 186X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.79 sec

Tested from a 12280 kB file and took 9.453 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 81.14 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ND8X7JBGP

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 939 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 115 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/12 - 6:15am

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 8.9 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.105 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 39.32 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZKCM73YAT

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 [!]

Just an update on the virus problem. I still have avast, but I am putting it on hold for a while. I researched and decided to install Avira antivirus. It is the free edition, so ads are everywhere, but it seems a pretty good program. I tested it against some faux viruses and all in all it came out better than avast did. I will let you know how it performs in the long haul. I am really mad that I lost all the work for folding@home, but I have reinstalled and going at it again. Oh well, through this little ordeal I have learned a lot and some interesting doors were opened.

Namely, concerning Ubuntu. I had said in my previous post that I installed Ubuntu, but could not get it to connect to the internet, so I ditched it. Well, it got me kind of ticked, I am never one to let a program or application get the best of me. I taught myself all I know about computers, and I wasn't  about to let Ubuntu, or linux in general have the best of me. I have never used this operating system and believe me, I am quite the noob when it comes to gnu, or any type of open configuration programs. But I kept at it and researched and learned much about the program. I am writing to you from Ubuntu. I finally figured out how to connect to the internet!!! yay.  :grin:  There is still very much I have to learn, but hey, all I have is time right? lol.

Anyway, cheers to all.

Chris

This used to be "46 Best Free Utilities"

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

If you're looking for the best possible protection, our top recommendation is Avira AntiVir Personal Edition. Although its detection rate is outstanding, there are some reservations. First, it lacks the email scanning feature that is only available in the paid version. This means that AntiVir won't warn you of infected emails before you open them. However, should you open an infected email, AntiVir will still spring into action, so the absence of an email scanner doesn't mean that you're not protected from email-based infections. Our second reservation is that AntiVir is quite an intrusive product - you will certainly be well aware of its presence, especially with the advertisements that appear with every update. Finally, AntiVir Personal Edition Classic has a time-limited license. It is renewable, but be aware that you'll have to periodically go through the hoops. The latest version is very light on resources, and includes anti-rootkit and a faster scan rate.

I myself have been concerned about the same issue. I to keep everything backed up, all my programs to disk, But still the thought of reloading xp Just made me wanna screem.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been really into trying to figure out Nlite. How to use it, find the programs to install with it. I burned many a "coaster". Loaded microsoft virtural pc tons. I finally for the most part have it figured out. The thing with the forums for nlite, is they like lynix users tend to be a bit way to geeked out, make things harder than it needs to be.

I now have my own restore disk for xp. Something I made by my little own self. Has service pack 3, Several programs already installed, like avast, and several others, I can make my own addons for it now. I keep One copy of of xp with my drivers already installed, tweeked, ready to install, all it needs is whatever addons I choose.

I have considerd makeing a guide for nlite, put it in easy to use terms, Simple instructions. While my method may be a bit "backwards" by some methods it really works. Any one wanna be a Guinea pig? Give me a week or two, I will make the guide, you follow it and see if you can make your own custom xp install?? Any takers, I will pm you the guide, try it, point out any mistakes and offer suggestions, then post it for everyone else? Let me know.

yeh we need more new guides...hey someone had a guide...they were workin up...something about a dual boot ...hmmmm who could it be could it beeeeeeeee.........

i prob got the wrong term...nm...hahahaha

I haven't worked on it in a while, soooo close to done. I have a bit of spare time tomorrow, I'm doin a reformat on the macbook pro, so I'll work it up on the iBook. If i can find it lol

Guys, this has been great. So much input on this.

--NinjaGeek - Hey, I am up for anything. After I get a little more self-training on Ubuntu, I think Nlite will be my next project. I would love to be able to have an xpsp3 restore disk. Reading through your previous posts on the subject it sounds like a little bit of a challenge, but challenge is my middle name.  :grin: I think it would be fun and at the same time educational. Hmm, that's the same thing I said when I signed up for sex ed in high school. Lmao. I think if you make a guide it should definately be posted and stickied in the forum, would be very useful. And you are very truthful when you say the Linux community, well in general, are way too geeked out. Learning this Ubuntu, I have had to go to several information superhiways on the subject and culminate all of them into something this old brain of mine can understand. Kind of like going around your arse to get to your elbow, you finally get it in the end. The main thing about Ubuntu is that it is more console/command line based, or as Linux/Ubuntu puts it "terminal" based. A lot of programming to do. And good Lawd, to install a program is sooo hard. But it is starting to get easier to me now that I am learning the proper language and input for the command lines.

--Mama T. Someone was making a guide on dual boot with WinXp and Linux? 'coz that is what I am currently trying to work with. I have Winxp on one partition of my hard drive and Ubuntu on another partition. Although I cant boot them both at the same time. A guide like that would be great too.

--Mudmanc4. You were the one working on dual boot? Was it for WinXp and Leopard?  :shocked: Maybe I am reading this thread wrong. I don't think that would be possible. Anyway,  :grin:

It's possible on an intel mac  :grin:

Actually thats not what I have been working on, what I have done is nothing new, there are two guides that coincide w/ each other.

The triple PPC boot, Fedora/macosx/Linux  ( ubuntu ) , and the intel mac rEFIt, bootcamp, Leopard/Vista/Ubuntu boot,with XP on parallels, all sharing there files.  It's done, I'm typing on it right now.  Just need to finish the guide, got lazy lol

Guys, this has been great. So much input on this.

--NinjaGeek - Hey, I am up for anything. After I get a little more self-training on Ubuntu, I think Nlite will be my next project. I would love to be able to have an xpsp3 restore disk. Reading through your previous posts on the subject it sounds like a little bit of a challenge, but challenge is my middle name.  :grin: I think it would be fun and at the same time educational. Hmm, that's the same thing I said when I signed up for sex ed in high school. Lmao. I think if you make a guide it should definately be posted and stickied in the forum, would be very useful. And you are very truthful when you say the Linux community, well in general, are way too geeked out. Learning this Ubuntu, I have had to go to several information superhiways on the subject and culminate all of them into something this old brain of mine can understand. Kind of like going around your arse to get to your elbow, you finally get it in the end. The main thing about Ubuntu is that it is more console/command line based, or as Linux/Ubuntu puts it "terminal" based. A lot of programming to do. And good Lawd, to install a program is sooo hard. But it is starting to get easier to me now that I am learning the proper language and input for the command lines.

--Mama T. Someone was making a guide on dual boot with WinXp and Linux? 'coz that is what I am currently trying to work with. I have Winxp on one partition of my hard drive and Ubuntu on another partition. Although I cant boot them both at the same time. A guide like that would be great too.

--Mudmanc4. You were the one working on dual boot? Was it for WinXp and Leopard?  :shocked: Maybe I am reading this thread wrong. I don't think that would be possible. Anyway,  :grin:

Ok I will make up the guide for ya. See if you can follow it, if it makes sense. Once I have it done I will start a thead, Jump on it and remind me it was you that wanted to try it. Im off to get it done. See ya in about a week or so.

EDIT: Fixed Quote

Kewl Mudmanc4. Wow, I did not know that was even possible. I think my next computer is going to be an Apple. Soon as I get done abusing the heck out of this one.  :grin: And by triple boot, do you mean that you would be able to have the three instances running at the same time on one screen, or meaning you can boot up into either of the three. 'coz where I am at right now, I can only boot up and either run windows xp, or boot up and run Ubuntu. I have heard that you can run windows and linux at the same time, switching desktops to get to either. I just don't know how to do it. I think I will research on the topic. I heard it takes up a lot of memory resources and such though, so I definately need to see about investing in a new computer. I might just do that and keep this computer just to run Folding@Home  :grin2: Then it could run 24/7 without interruption.(Wow. Imagine how many WU's I could do then. lol.) Wouldn't be able to catch up to you though.  :smile2:

-ninjageek. Awesome! I would be very interested in trying out that guide, as I am sure a lot more people as well. When it comes to a way to back up the comp you can never have enough resources. In the past week or so I have lost an innumerous amount of data due to one pesky little virus. (And to tell you the truth, the windows copy that i swapped to my hard drive from my mom's comp I think has a virus as well.) I have just been so busy trying out this Ubuntu that I haven't tended to it. I am almost done learning all the basic stuff with ubuntu so I think I will care for windows tonite. lol. I will definately work with the guide when you complete it. Thanks.