my puter will not recognize...

MJFSOL

an external hard drive that was given to my ystrdy ....its a maxtor 160GB external....no disc or anything with it...just the drive and the USB cable....

it tries to find the driver for it but says it cant and i dont know how to aquire the drivers....if its needed...

the funny thing is...on my laptop i plug it in and bam it recognizes it ...no probs...but on this puter no dice...

any suggestions are welcomed...i checked the USB stuff and everything seems fine...

thanx guys and gals

[geek] [geek]

Shouldn't need a driver, like you said,  Is there an OS on it ?Go to Start>Run put in compmgmt.msc and hit enter. When the new window opens up, go to disk management. Look to the right and see if it is listed there and has a drive number assigned to it. If it is there without a drive letter than right click on that space and there is an option to assign one.  Is the power supply connected ? sometimes the usb will power it , and sometimes not .

ok thanks..

that worked...but i have 2 ports (USB) in the front of the tower and there are 2 in the back of the tower...the funny thing was when i plugged the drive in the back...it recognized the device but wont if i plug it up front...but another hard drive i have it recognizes it just fine no probs.....i wonder why it wont recognize it when plugged up front....but it will in the back?? very weird.... :?  :? :?