DD-WRT v24 SP1 installed on WRT54GL successfully... sort of

AgentGOD

DD-WRT v24 SP1 installed on WRT54GL successfully... sort of....

Here's how I installed:

1. Factory reset inside web interface of Linksys firmware

2. Upload dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

3. Got upload complete, and waited 5 minutes

4. Did another factory reset (this time on the back of the router, held down reset with a pin for 30 seconds)

5. Ended up with power LED blinking indefinitely..... (So at this point, I was like oh SHIT I might have killed my brand new WRT54GL)

6. I unpluged router's A/C, and plugged it back in. Waited for the "Power LED blinking" to stop (it stopped in 15 seconds).

7. Accessed 192.168.1.1, root:admin, w00t it worked! I saw the DD-WRT config page.

8. Went to administration, and upgraded to dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

9. Waited about 10 minutes after that (it went to DD-WRT main page automatically, but I still waited while it already said the firmware name text on the top of the page).

10. I finally decided to do another factory reset via Pin, and bam, same thing happened as before. So I did same thing as before. I did the final factory reset with the web interface before I started configuring it. Seems to "work fine" now.

Yeah so... what caused the indefinite blinking? Obviously the router didn't die. And it barely feels warm.

No response after 2 days? :(

The reason , most likely , you didn't receive an answer is that there are so many things that can go wrong while flashing the ROM in a router with a linux operating system, that there is virtually no way possible for anyone to even guess what could have gone wrong.

I have changed over several wrt's and a couple gave me issues. I just used the method for de-bricking, and flashed again. The problem is, the most common router has very little memory installed, so you cant really get the whole thing, thats why they make the tiny version.

What version of the router is it ?  I have the WRT-54G Version 3

WRT54GL v1.1

The reason , most likely , you didn't receive an answer is that there are so many things that can go wrong while flashing the ROM in a router with a linux operating system, that there is virtually no way possible for anyone to even guess what could have gone wrong.

I have changed over several wrt's and a couple gave me issues. I just used the method for de-bricking, and flashed again. The problem is, the most common router has very little memory installed, so you cant really get the whole thing, thats why they make the tiny version.

But it's obviously not bricked. I THOUGHT it was bricked. I knew the flash at least worked, because I was able to enter 192.168.1.1 2 minutes after the flashing, and I saw the DD-WRT Web GUI. Repeating what I said above, at that point, I wanted to do a hard reset like in the tutorials (hold down reset for 30 seconds with a pen/pin, and let go), and that's when the power LED kept flashing. I did a power cycle (unplug a/c, and plug back in), and the router worked again (it flashed for 15 seconds, and stopped).

Initial flash with V24_mini_generic.bin, then upgrade to other versions (no MEGA support)- give it at least 2 mins after reboot. ;)   I checked and thats is what has to be done

Which is what I did. After each upgrade's reboot, I checked to make sure the Web GUI worked, and they did each time. I did hard resets each time, and each time it did the Power LED indefinite blinking thing. I had to power cycle to get rid of it each time.

I thought I bricked mine too but it worked after the reboot so all was good for me.  Try it again and wait a bit before rebooting it and see if it works.    I like tomato firmware better than DD-WRT because its faster for my connection and I don't use half the stuff on DD-WRT so if it still doesn't work try that firmware

It is but you need a fast router to use it with a fast connection.  With DD-WRT I can only get about 22 mb download and with tomato I can get about 34 mb download.  Also when uploading and downloading the same time with 20/20 I get stuck at around 12 mb with DD-WRT and with tomato it is around 15 mb both ways so if you use bit torrent it will be slower with DD-WRT.  If your connection is less than 15 mb it will work good.

Agengod, I might have sounded like I was saying the router was bricked, butt hats not what I meant :)

I havent done it for a while, but I remember that you have to let it sit for three minutes or so somewhere in the process,like after the flash before reboot , I didn't read that you did that, just wondering if this could be the cause.

So getting back to the topic question, why did it do that?

I would love to know, but unless you saved a log ........somehow, of the flash, I couldn't begin to help out, maybe blunted 2 might have an idea.

I would say, if it's working, great, unless your going to start developing the software for it, which would br great, I don't know that I would be to much concerned about it.  That is, if it's working good for now.