Slow speed / AOL vs IE

HOtterness

HEY EVERYONE JUST A COUPLE OF ?? ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN DL SPEEDS.

WHEN I AM ON AOL AND DO A SPEED TEST IT TELLS ME TO SEEK HELP AS I AM ONLY RUNNING AT APROX 45/50% OF HOST SPEED (APROX 850/1000 KBS). WHEN I AM USING EXPLORER I GET CONGRATS CUZ I AM RUNNING AT 20/25% FASTER THAN MY HOST?? AND AM RUNNING APROX THE SAME 850/1000KBS. ALSO WONDERING WHAT IS CAUSING MY DL SPEEDS TO DROP TO ALMOST 3 OR 4 KBS IF MORE THAN ONE PERSON IS ON OUR HIGHSPEED SAT. SYSTEM WE ARE USING THE DIRECWAY DW6000 AND SHOULD BE AT HIGH SPEED ALL THE TIME AS WE ARE USING A LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER.

PLEASE ADVISE VIA PM OR E-MAIL AS i AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND NOT SURE WHERE TO LOOK FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS YET.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

HARRY

:)  HOtterness

Welcome to the site, I hope you will enjoy and tell you friends about TESTMY.NET. As a general rule using IE instead of AOL will allow your net browsing to go faster, typically pages will load faster and it can be much faster when testing speeds. Now all that being said if you are using Di recWay Sat that puts a different slant on the question, Sat in general and Di recWay in particular use different values for Reg settings which effect overall speeds. I guess a question I have is if you have a different ISP why would you want to use AOL? Even if you have a longterm email address just when you send an email put a link for your new Addy and after a short while everyone you know will have your new email address.There are many ppl that love AOL but I'm not one of them, on a normal search AOL with holds many links and sends you to whom they want to, as opposed to giving you all the info and letting you decide where to go. There are many stupid and some what I think are unethical things AOL does, but most of all its just very ineffective for normal browsing IMO....... anyway good luck and keep visiting and I answered this question here so if its possible it may help answer a question for someone else in the future... :)

8) Microwave