LokiTorrent was hit pretty hard...$1,000,000.00

organ_shifter

Wow. I feel bad for Edward Webber. I wonder if the MPAA will hand over records of users to the courts. The way the site was asking for donations to fight the case, I thought they had a pretty good shot.

- Excerpt taken from Earthtimes.org -

...LokiTorrent, which was owned by Edward Webber, directed people to downloadable copies of copyrighted movies. Webber is finned $1-million in a judgment issued by a Dallas court. An MPAA notice has replaced the home page of the site.

Anyway, here are the links for those who are interested.:

LokiTorrent.com

Full Article

1 million is far too much for a bystander. It had no direct downloads, so the fact that they do have been stopped is rediculous. Has the trial gone fair?

That excuse has been tried.. He was aiding the downloaders by posting the torrent links on his server..  So that would make him the first sorce of the download.. you "download" the information about where the torrent is located..

How is an ordenary webmaster supposed to come up with fees such as this? And how the hell did he lose thius case when as rtb said, he no way directly linked to the vids...  rediculous

He was taking donations to pay for his legal fees and the fines.. My guess since he turned over his server log and other information on the people who acessed his site he will not be paying that full million..    I am not sure that it has gone to court.. this is all prelim stuff as of right now..    So if u use lokitorrent and you are on those records.. i would watch the mail for a greeting from the MPAA

The court has also ordered the site owners to handover the records such as IP addresses of those who downloaded movies through the site. The records will help investigators to pinpoint thousands of people who downloaded unauthorized copies of movies, TV programme etc.

slashdot was reporting that he did this before the courts ordered it.. plus this isnt going to be settled in some lower court.. my guess is that the open source community will rally and it will go to the supreme court..

Well they could never prove it was the user of ther ip address. Alot of people, such as vanburen (and many friends of mine ) run webservers from their homer pc. And ill be damned if i havnt used my friends open port 80's as proxy servers as well as other sites with 500k+ listed others. SO they could never prove it was me, or the other  person for that matter. Just have to say " others use my connection as a proxy on the regular, i cannot be held responsible for their actions" :P

That is a good point but they dont care.. if your ip address is on that log then they will contact your IP, if you are interational this might be harder, and cross refference their ip logs to figure out who had that address...    The students at Iowa thought the same thing.. they would hide behind the university's ip address and since there are like 30,000 of them no one would get caught.. well that failed!!  the RIAA and MPAA sued the university and they turned over their logs..  and now 15 or so students got sued.. 

Well if you are using their computer as a proxy you have just commited a felony..  but that is an entire different subject..

This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop.

Mpaa

:haha: well, thats true. But proxy's are completely legal...on a webserver or otherwise. Unless you are doing something that is illegal, then your just trying to hide that your doing something illegal and yea, i agree that could get you in some serious trouble. 

- But yea the students at the university werent thinking. THey used an ip registered to the university...thats 1 place lol. If you use an ip registered to lets say a church's  partial T3 connectrion ( yea.. iv had church ip's as well >.< )  using from your home PC , the chances of it tracing back to yourself are more unlikely then being struck by lightning 6 times in a row. Then dieing of catching on fire.  :?

well if they dont know that you are using their connection then.. it is illegal.. if you turn on port 80 just so that you can use it.. illegal...  Pretty much illegal  any way that you look at it.  you are hiding your identy so that you cant get caught.. and lets say that they knew, they gave you premission, which they never would because it opens your system to some many other problems, and they open port 80... Then you click a link of an illegal download,,, well you have just sunk both of yourselves in a deep pile of S***..  You know that they will come after the t3 line and then the church is going to say that they "allowed" you to connect via port 80.. then in court they will bring in a expert witness that will say you were exploiting them and that they wouldnt be in the position if you hadn't "made" them open port 80.. just not a good idea.. end of story..  :roll:

I would agree they are complety legal if you own the equipment and are not doing illegal activities with them.. they can be a great help..

this is bs :) i hope those bastards rot :) anyway......its hard for them to fight thousands, no....millions of ppl downloading stuff.....it will never stop :) someboyd will always invent a new P2P thing....arent i right ? loL anyway.....its hard to believe that they are giving him a fine of that large sum of money, seems fake....well at least when i think about it :) who knows, you all know that they can be tricky, scaring ppl or whatnot :) but yeah.....it sux, they should just get off our case heheheh lOL let us download all we want, pfff.....like they never downloaded copyrighted stuff in their life  :haha: i mean really....who's not guilty of that ? yeah....so thats what i think

Movies stars make Millions and millions of dollars per movie and they just act. Us hard working people working at McDonald (lol) make $8 an hour. so in order to buy a movie we gotta work 3 hours. (no i dont work at McDonalds), I work at a trucking company making $18.50/hour still aint much to buy alot. We still gotta pay mortage ,elec, HIGH SPEED INTERNET($50/month). YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING.

Well I think that the real problem was the invention of the mp3 file format.. if that wouldnt have been released to the public we would never have had this problem.. Think about it.. Napster never would have been started..  Movies on the otherhand are something that was bound to happen when DVDs came to the market..

First I would contour sue for false charges!!! Because as far as I know It is not illegal to have a torrent site unless you host the files on your server!!! Or should I say unless you host copywritten material on your server!!! I think the MPPA or what ever is suing people for false charges and getting away with it I hope someone sue them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

if you are wondering where can i get .torrentz and be safe

where can i get torrentz and not be afraid my ip is handed over to MPAA

where wont they wont catch me well its not safe out there anywhere in the world i think but there is a few places who make it more safe

from http://piratebay.org

Sweden ROCKS

As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States

of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe.

Unless you figured it out by now, US law does not apply here.

For your information, no Swedish law is being violated.

Please be assured that any further contact with us, regardless of medium,

will result in

a) a suit being filed for harassment

B) a formal complaint lodged with the bar of your legal counsel, for

sending frivolous legal threats.

It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons, and

that you should please go sodomize yourself with retractable batons.

Please also note that your e-mail and letter will be published in full on

http://www.thepiratebay.org.

Go fuck yourself.

Polite as usual,

anakata

so for now i think u are safe to get torrentz from that website

sorry

i will post the full leter here

DreamWorks

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:21:43 -0100 (GMT)

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Unauthorized Use of DreamWorks SKG Properties

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> Dennis L. Wilson, Esq.

> KEATS McFARLAND & WILSON, LLP

> 9720 Wilshire Blvd., Penthouse Suite

> Beverly Hills, CA 90212

> Tel: (310) 248-3830

> Fax: (310) 860-0363

>

>

> August 23, 2004

>

>

> VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL

> AND U.S. MAIL

>

> ThePirateBay.org

> Box 1206

> Stockholm 11479

> SWEDEN

>

> [email protected]

>

> Re: Unauthorized Use of DreamWorks SKG Properties

> http://www.thepiratebay.org

>

> To Whom It May Concern:

>

> This letter is being written to you on behalf of our

> client, DreamWorks SKG (hereinafter ^

if you are wondering where can i get .torrentz and be safe

where can i get torrentz and not be afraid my ip is handed over to MPAA

where wont they wont catch me well its not safe out there anywhere in the world i think but there is a few places who make it more safe

from http://piratebay.org

Sweden ROCKS

As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States

of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe.

Unless you figured it out by now, US law does not apply here.

For your information, no Swedish law is being violated.

Please be assured that any further contact with us, regardless of medium,

will result in

a) a suit being filed for harassment

B) a formal complaint lodged with the bar of your legal counsel, for

sending frivolous legal threats.

It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons, and

that you should please go sodomize yourself with retractable batons.

Please also note that your e-mail and letter will be published in full on

http://www.thepiratebay.org.

Go fuck yourself.

Polite as usual,

anakata

so for now i think u are safe to get torrentz from that website

:) just-

Thats the way it outta be, but that still leaves one small problem and that is that no matter where it comes from if you get this, or any info and your computer is in the USA then they got you by the short hairs, I can buy a joint in  Amsterdam and smoke it and not get in trouble, but if I buy a "legal" joint somewhere and get caught with it in the USA......party is over. Slovakia is also a good source for anything you want, but if you live in the USA and they want to screw with you they will.... and you will lose.....very sad but its the way it is unfortunately....................But I really love that letter and its very cool that they can blow them off and not worry.....L0L now if only I could do that .... m:(

8) Microwave

:) just-

Thats the way it outta be, but that still leaves one small problem and that is that no matter where it comes from if you get this, or any info and your computer is in the USA then they got you by the short hairs, I can buy a joint in Amsterdam and smoke it and not get in trouble, but if I buy a "legal" joint somewhere and get caught with it in the USA......party is over. Slovakia is also a good source for anything you want, but if you live in the USA and they want to screw with you they will.... and you will lose.....very sad but its the way it is unfortunately....................But I really love that letter and its very cool that they can blow them off and not worry.....L0L now if only I could do that .... m:(

8) Microwave

Don't think that just because  it's outside of the U.S. that no one will pay attention to it.  There are international laws that offer protection for  the movie studios. e.g.:Interpol.  It's still stealing no matter where you get it.

^ I'm not trying to sound like a "perfect" law abiding person.

I do agree that  movie theatre and rental prices are ridiculous though.