Monopoly, the movie?

scdreamin3

Have you ever had one of those "What tha hell?" moments? Perusing through some upcoming movies, I just did. Apparently Ridley Scott, whose long list of movie credits include Alien, Thelma & Louise, GI Jane, Hannibal, and American Gangster, among many, many others, will be directing Monopoly, the movie. A movie based on a board game? What tha hell? How entertaining could it be? Really!! Now don't get me wrong, I know they have had another movie based on a board game. Back in 1985 they came out with Clue, with actors Tim Curry, Martin Mull, and Christopher Lloyd, among other great actors, but to tell the truth, I didn't find that movie very entertaining either.

Has hollywood finally lost its spark of enthusiasm? Have they run out of things to inspire a great movie? And why would Ridley Scott even think of doing it? Maybe I am too quick to pull the trigger, we will have to wait and see on this one. And they announced their plans to film the movie back in February, so it may not even come to fruition, but I just had to comment on it.  :grin2:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/873/873542p1.html

More Hasbro Movies Coming

Transformers just the beginning.

by Scott Collura

May 13, 2008 - What is this world we live in, where a toy company is also at the forefront of some of the biggest Hollywood movies out there?

Where you been, bub? It's the year 2008, where comic books, TV shows, and toys are the hot items to base your movies on. And big-gun toymaker Hasbro knows it too, which is why they have appointed Bennett Schneir as the company's top creative executive on its film side.

Schneir, according to Variety, has previously served as VP of creative affairs for ImageMovers Digital, Robert Zemeckis' company, where he handled Disney-related projects and also produced the CGI animation Monster House.

The exec will be a key player as Hasbro's six-film deal with Universal develops, which will include projects based on properties such as Monopoly, Candy Land, Clue, Ouija, Battleship, Magic: The Gathering, and Stretch Armstrong. As has been previously reported, Ridley Scott's Scott Free is developing Monopoly for the big-screen.

Of course, Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe are also on the Hasbro slate, though they will be distributed by Paramount. Hasbro hopes to have the first of its Universal films out by 2010 or 2011.

"Our goal is to deliver more fantastic cinematic experiences, similar to what we did along with DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures with Transformers," says John Frascotti, Hasbro's global chief marketing officer.

==================================================================================================

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080221i.php

A Ridley Scott "Monopoly" Movie?

By Garth FranklinThursday, February 21st 2008 12:10am

image Universal Pictures and Hasbro announced Wednesday a six-year strategic partnership to produce at least four feature films based on some of Hasbro's best-known game and toy brands says Reuters.

Hasbro has the option of co-funding production of the films and will retain all merchandising rights to the brands with the first film to be out by 2010 or 2011 and at least one film a year released after that.

The manufacturer will partner exclusively with Universal for feature films with the exception of "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe," which are already setup at DreamWorks and Paramount.

Amongst these are such properties as Monopoly, Candy Land, Clue, Ouija, Battleship, Magic, the Gathering and Stretch Armstrong. Hasbro COO Brian Goldner says David Berenbaum is penning a draft for "Ouija" and Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes will produce. He also says Hasbro is in negotiations with Ridley Scott on "Monopoly".

Hasbro is co-financing script development with Universal and has the option of co-funding production of the films. Hasbro will retain all merchandising rights to the brands, and the companies will share in consumer products revenue generated by the movies.

==================================================================================================