Home Business questions

Hey all, after years of some self taught experience I've decided I would like to start my own spyware/antivirus/malware removal business. I have the experience when it comes to cleaning PCs but I don't have the business savvy to get it up and running. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get things started up fairly quickly and legally of course. As always I appreciate everyone's input. I'm not looking to retire from this but I would like to start up fixing a few computers a week. I have one major question as well...I was wondering if I used freeware programs to assist me to get rid of these baddies on people's PC's is that legal or illegal? I wouldn't want to get in trouble to where someone thinks I'm trying to sell these free programs. I just feel that my services and knowledge with certain freeware applications can be helpful to solving people's computer problems. If there are any other things I'm missing to protect myself legally please do comment. Thanks, Nick

I was wondering if I used freeware programs to assist me to get rid of these baddies on people's PC's is that legal or illegal?

That might or might not be illegal. They all say they are free for personal use not commercial use. Technically you would be using them for commercial use. It would be best to ask a lawyer about that, but I could pretty much say that is going to be a no no.

You would have to work the cost of the program into the fee you charge some how.

Do not charge for usage of the software, only your time. And make sure the customer knows this also.  :wink:  Problem solved.

Several companies use the freeware. Nothing new really. But as I said they do not charge for software usage. You just have to make it sound complicated as to how you do it.  :wink2: Smooth and quick is the easiest way to do that.

"Well he made it look easy? Not sure what went wrong! " And then you get a recall.

I want to thank you so much guys. You gave me some great advice to work with. Please feel free to add more if you think of it. Another question I thought of before I went to bed last night was insurance. Will that bite me in the butt and be too costly at first or can I afford the cost? Or, do I even need insurance? My gut tells me I probably do. Thanks Again guys

That depends.  If you plan on advertising and such, you'll also need a busniess license, and pay your proper taxes.  The business license will likely force you to have liability insurance, depending  the local gov't.

If he keeps it with just him self he doesn't have to get a business license. He can use his SS, and will have to report all the income as self employment.

Liscense only if and when a customer asks. Most will not ask. Just assume. For those who ask put them off for 6 months and say well we are pretty well booked up. And who knows in 6 months you might bother getting it and get around to doing them.  :evil:  But why bother, I figured why have to add it to the cost of the work to the customer. It worked for 14 years in roofing.  :angel: