General Set-Up Question

bjmacdow

I am in Central Ohio with a baby on the way in 7 weeks.  My current office is becoming a baby room.  Need to move my office downstairs.  My internet provider is Wide Open West and we have a modem upstairs.  I want to be plugged in downstairs (as opposed to wireless) and am wondering if I can get any cable modem (thinking about D-Link DCM-202) to hook up downstairs.  Is it a problem having two modems hooked up in the house?  This is a terribly noobish question; but any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

There is a cable outlet for the tv down there.  The problem is running an ethernet cable from the third floor (where the original modem is installed) to the basement.  If there is a cable outlet down there can't I just hook it into a second modem?

There is a cable outlet for the tv down there. The problem is running an ethernet cable from the third floor (where the original modem is installed) to the basement. If there is a cable outlet down there can't I just hook it into a second modem?

you would have to move the modem that you have allredy to the basement and plug it in that outlet

geting a second modem will not solve your problm cable internet does not work that way

the easyest thing would be to eather go wireless or to move the cable modem that you have down to the basement

McBluff,

Thanks for your comments.  I will try using wireless and will add a homemade booster to the antenna if necessary.  Once I get re-set up I will be back.  This looks like a great site for general maintenance of computers, etc. 

I would also go wireless. I just replaced a router with a Linksys WRT54G2 and I love it. Great connection anywhere inside the 1100 sq ft apartment and even sitting outside. I set up 2 laptops and a desktop (all wireless) with WPA2 security which is supposed to be the most secure option and it took literally 10 minutes. And I'm a relative noob when it comes to networking.  :haha: