Palin says 17-year-old daughter is pregnant

tommie gorman

ST. PAUL, Minn. - John McCain's running mate Sarah Palin said Monday that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant, an announcement campaign aides said was aimed at rebutting Internet rumors that Palin's youngest son, born in April, was actually her daughter's.

A statement released by the campaign said that Bristol Palin will keep her baby and marry the child's father. Bristol Palin's baby is due in late December.

"Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents," Sarah and Todd Palin said in the brief statement.

The disclosure of the pregnancy came on the opening day of the Republican National Convention, scaled back because of Hurricane Gustav, and three days after McCain named Palin as his running mate. The other news was likely to overshadow the disclosure.

The first-term Alaska governor was in Minnesota preparing for her acceptance speech when the campaign issued the statement; her family was home in Alaska.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family," they added.

The father was identified in the statement as Levi, but the campaign said it was not disclosing his full name or age or how he and Bristol know each other, citing privacy.

Sarah Palin's fifth child, a son named Trig, was born in April with Down syndrome. Internet bloggers have been suggesting that the child was actually born to Bristol Palin but that her mother, the 44-year-old Alaska governor, claimed to be the mother.

Palin spokesman Bill McAllister emphatically denied those rumors, and McCain adviser Mark Salter said the campaign announced the daughter's pregnancy to rebut them.

"Senator McCain's view is this is a private family matter. As parents, (the Palins) love their daughter unconditionally and are going to support their daughter," said McCain spokesman Steve Schmidt.

"Life happens," he said.

"An American family," added Salter.

The advisers said Palin told them about the pregnancy during lengthy discussions about her background. At several points during the discussions, McCain's team warned Palin that the scrutiny into her private life would be intense and that there was nothing she could do to prepare for it.

Advisers said Palin's daughter should be afforded privacy like the other candidates' children. Said Schmidt: "If people try to politicize this, the American people will be appalled."

In Monroe, Mich., Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama condemned rumors involving the children of candidates and echoed the McCain campaign argument. Said Obama: "I think people's families are off limits, and people's children are especially off limits."

Obama adamantly denied anonymous claims that his campaign helped spread the rumors.

"I am offended by that statement," Obama said. "Our people were not involved in any way in this, and they will not be. And if I ever thought that there was somebody in my campaign that was involved in something like that, they'd be fired."

Prominent religious conservatives, many of whom have been lukewarm toward McCain's candidacy, predicted that Palin's daughter's pregnancy would not diminish conservative Christian enthusiasm for the vice presidential hopeful, a staunch abortion opponent.

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson issued a statement commending the Palins for "for not just talking about their pro-life and pro-family values, but living them out even in the midst of trying circumstances." He added: "Being a Christian does not mean you're perfect. Nor does it mean your children are perfect. But it does mean there is forgiveness and restoration when we confess our imperfections to the Lord."

Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition of America called the pregnancy private. "It's a matter that should stay in the family and they have to work through it together. My prayers go out to them."

Added Combs: "We're excited about the governor and think she's going to do well."

Mathew Staver, dean of Liberty University School of Law, said: "We're all sinners."

"We all make mistakes. Certainly, the ideal is not to get pregnant out of wedlock. But she made the right decision after her mistake," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080901/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_daughter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:smile2: what an unforunate name for her daughter , good thing she is in America  :grin2:

Bristol ,= Bristol ciity =T*ty, like look at the Bristols on that chick ,  :cool:

her unmarried daughter is five months pregnant, well it happens , and no big deal ,

IMHO ,

She's 17 for pete sakes who cares, there could be no other that would try and discredit the family by presenting this, other than the obama camp, who cares.

BTW, this morning McCain was in Waterville , Ohio, not 3 miles from my house, it was an unannounced visit, just before he boarded the plane, he asked that he be taken for a cup at the local Tim Hortons, the entire fleet of officers, from local, to state, to the big boyz, had to disrupt the whole game plan to accommodate him  :haha: :haha:  Threw them a curve ball. :haha: :haha:

This afternoon ( just less than an hour ago now ), we were passing by the local airport, and were stopped by a major police barricade, we were on the Harley and the officers asked us to come up front ( walking of course ), he said that obama was to be coming off the turnpike, and there he was, those buses must be half a million a piece, there was a black one ( they said obama was in that one ) and there were two white ones. Plus a couple dozen staties, and more yukons then that.   ( savin the planet with all those vehicles obama ?)

Oh yea, they both said that they were voting for McCain. Palin sealed the deal, and they said that almost all of the rest of the officers they each knew ( from different departments ) were doing the same.

Run Bro ,

home page recent discusions

[General Discussion] Re: Palin says 17-year-old daughter is pregnant by tommie gorman Today at 05:55:15 PM  :shocked:..... :evil6:

[Off Topic Discussion] Re: brokeback mountian by tommie gorman Today at 05:52:19 PM

[Off Topic Discussion] Re: Post ur Mug & Come see all the friendly people at tmn...and post your mug... by tommie gorman Today at 05:44:46 PM

[smart Bro (Wi-fi)] Re: Access to Canopy SMART Bro by dzep007

Run Bro ,

home page recent discusions

[General Discussion] Re: Palin says 17-year-old daughter is pregnant by tommie gorman Today at 05:55:15 PM  :shocked:..... :evil6:

[Off Topic Discussion] Re: brokeback mountian by tommie gorman Today at 05:52:19 PM

[Off Topic Discussion] Re: Post ur Mug & Come see all the friendly people at tmn...and post your mug... by tommie gorman Today at 05:44:46 PM

[smart Bro (Wi-fi)] Re: Access to Canopy SMART Bro by dzep007

Are you starting your own tmn directory ?

Obama became annoyed when asked about a Reuters news service report that quoted an unnamed senior McCain aide saying that Obama's name appears in liberal blogs speculating about Trig's parentage "in a way that certainly juxtaposes themselves against their 'campaign of change.' "  Watch analysts weigh in on the Palins' announcement

Alrighty then , but what again does this have to do with this thread, I Didn't follow you ?

LOL it must be my sense of humour, but On view to the world and his wife was

"[General Discussion] Re: Palin says 17-year-old daughter is pregnant by tommie gorman Today at 05:55:15 PM "  as as far as politics goes it's closer than somebodies daughter being pregnant and affecting the future Grandma's career ,IMHO, I just can't see why that should be an issue , it happens , even in the best of households ,

Lowest blow?  She's got more skeletons than we will ever probably know.

That's nothing compared to what's been done to demonize Obama. And this news was brought to the table by bloggers, not Obama's campaign.  (yeah right though...)

If replublicans want to play dirty, they should be prepared to reap what they sow.

I really believe with the facts, 17 year old daughter pregnant, When husband was 22 years old (20 years ago) he got busted for DUI, Even the fact she got a ticket for fishing without a license, It just makes her plain and simple LOOK HUMAN!!  Remeber ol Bills afair, No one cared except the news and congress, America in general simply did not care.  I think the same will happen with Palin, the news will make a HUGE issue out of it only to find, American's in general don't care.

Pailin's life is just like everyone else's. She is just a typical American Mother. In fact It could be McCain's camp that released all the information. Palin is just your average american Mother. Noting in her past that millions of american Women have Not been through. The more I read about Palin, The more convinced it was the most brilliant move on McCain's Part.It would not surprixe me If palin Ended up in the White House.

Troopergate, "Bridge to nowhere" flip flop....I think it was an impulsive descision on McCain's part, and the more I read about her, the more I think it was a bad choice.  Being the mayor of a small town, and 1/2 term governor of a state with less than 750,000 population doesn't make you qualified to lead this country, or preside over the Senate. 

He should have stuck with Romney.  Somone who might have the know how to turn this economy around.  He wanted Tom Ridge or Lieberman.  I think Lieberman would have been a great choice, but the "far right" would have none of it.  They would never allow someone who isn't 100% anti-abortion to represent the party.