Google's New Browser "Chrome" What do you guys think

MttFrog13

The browser just became available for download just after the end of the chrome press conference. I think it definitely has some better ideas than firefox but won't beat firefox because everything is open source so eventually firefox will take whatever in it is good. I like it a lot, it has many innovative subtle features that make it a really good browser. I made it my default browser and will try it out for a while. Google made Chrome with the idea to start the browser from "scratch" since the basics of browsers has not changed in some areas since browsers were first made. This is similar to rumors of Microsoft makin a new OS from scratch and throwing out all the code and making an OS for today's computers and not an evolved OS from the original computers.

Some of the features are:

-Each tab and plug-in has its own process so only a tab or plug-in will crash not the entire browser.

-Tab bar is at the top, which i think Opera does too

-Incognito mode where nothing where u can browse without logging anything on your computer.(i think a plugin for firefox does this)

-Pop up status bar at bottom

-Has download manager similar to that of the download status bar plug-in for firefox where there is a bar at the bottom.

-You can rearrange tabs and also pull them out into their own window, they also glide for aesthetics.

-Also if you have a lot of tabs open, when you click the x to close one, the tabs won't resize until you move ur mouse off the tab bar so you won't have to chase the x button.

-You can create shortcuts to your "web apps" such as gmail or online games and put them on your desktop or quick launch bar. These apps will load up without the controls or location bar as if they are their own program on you computer.

-The location is a tweaked version of Firefox's awesome bar to work more fluently with what the you want to do.

The Beta is available for download here:

http://www.google.com/chrome

Phooey, I use safari, weather I'm on  a windows machine, or a mac. Nothing compares. The last thing the world needs is another browser, I'm all for google, and there innovative work they have contributed to the net, but this ? I just don't see this as viable, other than with people that like to switch browsers all the time.  I wont even try it.

im might try it but i really doubt that it will replace firefox for me

and i can use FF across the board and have the same experience

Google should have really just gone ahead and come out with an OS

I mean really they wont get another chance like this again

Nobody likes Vista and everyone is looking for alternatives

Google should have really just gone ahead and come out with an OS

I mean really they wont get another chance like this again

Nobody likes Vista and everyone is looking for alternatives

You make a great point, but watch them in the future, i would , ( and i am ) placing money on the fact that they will  take on the  " online " operating system. It's already here. A company called Everex is doing a great job of it .

I have always been a fan of Goggle and like their approach to their software development.   When I received a cartoon in my "Gmail box" I  thought it was another one of their pranks we all know. I installed and all looked good and was planning on having fun exploring a new browser.

The first forum I ever joined was here because of the Speed test and long term stats that are kept here on www.testmy.net . This is the first place I come whenever I make changes. When I could not get a test to run here blew my day.. I figured I had to be missing something. I later logged in to my Steamcast server and found that I could not view the tail-logs on line. I started looking around in the groups and blogs  looking at comments and questions about Google Chrome. I don't write code but this has to be an easy fix. I wish some of those that are praising the speed and features would drop by here and test their speeds. . Hope there is a fix soon. 

Test using Google Chrome

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 7710 Kbps about 7.7 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 941 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/09/03 - 11:00pm

Bottom Line:: 134X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.09 sec

Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 13.056 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 57.93 % faster than the average for host (mchsi.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HMXDZYJAU

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13 [!]

:confused3:

What happened?? It worked and one of my best speeds. That is the correct user agent.

I guess given time it will be #1 as a browser , I just tried IE 8  beta  it was so clunky and slow ,  No dont tell me about the benifits of FF , I tried it in the early days , (never again )

I am staying with Maxthon (based on I.E 7, just downloaded Opera , but to be honest I can't be arsed to run it , just happy with what I am using , so maybe in a year or so I could be on Chrome ,

• 5 months later...

since this post, google chrome has improved a lot. I don't run into glitches or bugs on a daily basis anymore so i am happy making it my main browser. Today tho, safari 4 beta was released and it has impressed me a lot. It remains safari but takes some good features from chrome. I am gonna use it a week and try it out.