VGA to S-video on TV

Le_Murphant

I believe I have posted something about this already, but I can't find it on the forums, so I might be wrong.

I have an old HP Pavilion 522n tower that I want to use as a server (which works actually) and as a source to project movies on my television. The only output on the computer is VGA, so I bought a VGA to S-video adapter such as this one

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VGA-SVGA-TO-TV-RCA-S-VIDEO-CABLE-ADAPTER-FOR-PC-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ320295005642QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I tried it out but the image on the TV is in black in white, fuzzy and divided in 3 sections horizontally, so yeah, unusable. I know that the S-video is not the problem because I have been streaming from my laptop through S-video for a while, without a problem. Thus, I tried the adapter on the VGA output on my laptop and had the fuzzy display again. So now I am wondering if it is my (cheap) adapter that just doesn't work or if there's a problem from putting VGA to S-video in theory. I saw that there is another female cable (see picture) coming out of the adapter, and I don't know what it is supposed to do, I assumed it was for better quality since VGA is higher quality than S-Video, but I could be wrong. The e-bay seller had a pretty good rating, so that makes me doubt that the product is defective, but that's what it looks like for now. Could I be missing something? Just for information, the mobo on my HP tower

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=83455

is the first clickable link.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Im no expert on this stuff but, it sound like your TV setting is wrong. have you tried changing the progressive and interlace setting on your TV(if you can). Whenever i get a picture that is black and white and divided into sections, it usually the wrong resolution like 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Have you tried the RCA cable?