slow connection problem, 2 laptops: 1 good & 1 bad

leroxx

hi

I have an 'up to' 2 megabyte internet connection to which two macbooks are connected via wifi. Each has a windows xp partition, from which i have found (from the wifi properties in the toolbar) that one runs at 108kbs/s, whereas the other only reaches 54kbs/s. The lag is really noticeable in the latter, even when just browsing webpages, and it often cuts out. I've tried all i can think of and am beginning to wonder whether there's some fine detail I'm overlooking. What is going on!!!???

My router is a netgear super wireless ADSL DG834GT

I have a dynamic ip address

My speedtest results are:

macbook 1: download 1313 Kbps - upload 338 Kbps - ping 57ms

macbook 2: download 543 Kbps - upload 312 Kbps - ping 54ms

The connection on the mac partition of the slower macbook was as bad but has somehow resolved itself and is running at a similar speed to macbook 1 now.

When connected directly to the router via ethernet cable, the slow macbook becomes a similar speed to the faster one.

Any help appreciated!

hi

I have an 'up to' 2 megabyte internet connection to which two macbooks are connected via wifi. Each has a windows xp partition, from which i have found (from the wifi properties in the toolbar) that one runs at 108kbs/s, whereas the other only reaches 54kbs/s. The lag is really noticeable in the latter, even when just browsing webpages, and it often cuts out. I've tried all i can think of and am beginning to wonder whether there's some fine detail I'm overlooking. What is going on!!!???

My router is a netgear super wireless ADSL DG834GT

I have a dynamic ip address

My speedtest results are:

macbook 1: download 1313 Kbps - upload 338 Kbps - ping 57ms

macbook 2: download 543 Kbps - upload 312 Kbps - ping 54ms

The connection on the mac partition of the slower macbook was as bad but has somehow resolved itself and is running at a similar speed to macbook 1 now.

When connected directly to the router via ethernet cable, the slow macbook becomes a similar speed to the faster one.

Any help appreciated!

It sounds as if the  "slower " wifi book may have an older card than the second one, could this be ?  dlewis is the " mac guru " he'll catch this soon i'm sure.