HN7000S restarts itself approx. every 10 minutes

lather

My My HN7000S was without power for 5 days due to the widespread power outage caused by Hurricane Gustav. When I finally got power back the modem would work only intemittently; specifically for about 8 to 12 minutes then stop. The modem power light was blinking continuously while it was working: "The POWER LED is normally solid blue when the unit is powered. A blinking POWER LED indicates the HN7000S is either not commissioned or has lost its configuration" from the System Control Center HELP.

The System Control Center also shows an system status problem (big red button) and says: "Your HN7000S terminal is not yet registered. Use the link below to register for HughesNet service."

I have have tried all the registration options multiple times, by myself and with tech support, and that only made thing worse. I have made to calls with tech support for a total af about 2 hours of trouble shooting to no avail.

System Status contiuously shows software downloading activity. Is this normal. The sytem info page now shows an earlier software date than it showed when the system was initially intalled, Sep 26 2006 vs Dec 3, 2007

which does not seem right.

From what I can tell, the modem works for about 8 to 12 minutes at a time , sometimes well, sometimes slowly but it enetually stops, with all leds except power going out.  It seems as if the modem is restarting on its own.

Tech support sessions have been frustrating due to the language barrier and an apparent lack of expertise.

We have had much wind and water but I cannot see any physical problems with the Disk or the cable. Signal strength when working is as good as ever 83 or 84.

If anyone has any ideas I would certainly like to hear them, any knowledge that will assist me with my next tech session would be a big help.was without power for 5 days due to the widespread power outage caused by Hurricane Gustav. When I finally got power back the modem would work only intemittently; specifically for about 8 to 12 minutes then stop. The modem power light was blinking continuously while it was working: "The POWER LED is normally solid blue when the unit is powered. A blinking POWER LED indicates the HN7000S is either not commissioned or has lost its configuration" from the System Control Center HELP.

The System Control Center also shows an system status problem (big red button) and says: "Your HN7000S terminal is not yet registered. Use the link below to register for HughesNet service."

I have have tried all the registration options multiple times, by myself and with tech support, and that only made thing worse. I have made to calls with tech support for a total af about 2 hours of trouble shooting to no avail.

System Status contiuously shows software downloading activity. Is this normal. The sytem info page now shows an earlier software date than it showed when the system was initially intalled, Sep 26 2006 vs Dec 3, 2007

which does not seem right.

From what I can tell, the modem works for about 8 to 12 minutes at a time , sometimes well, sometimes slowly but it enetually stops, with all leds except power going out.  It seems as if the modem is restarting on its own.

Tech support sessions have been frustrating due to the language barrier and an apparent lack of expertise.

We have had much wind and water but I cannot see any physical problems with the Disk or the cable. Signal strength when working is as good as ever 83 or 84.

If anyone has any ideas I would certainly like to hear them, any knowledge that will assist me with my next tech session would be a big help.

While waiting for my replacement HN7000S I discovered the reset log. The modem keep resetting itself due to a software download. BTW, The software currently loaded is a version earlier than the one it was installed with.

Apparently the software update does not work so the NOC keeps re-downloading it and when the download finished the modem resets. Does this make sense?

I don't like hearing that! You are re-inforcing my fears that Hughesnet tech support is clueless.

I'm just speculating , but there are intermittent servers that serve every connection, and in a storm like that, as wide spread , man, I have to think they will be back up as soon as they can . I'm assume it's not a small job.

I'm just speculating , but there are intermittent servers that serve every connection, and in a storm like that, as wide spread , man, I have to think they will be back up as soon as they can . I'm assume it's not a small job.

I am thinking if it was a server problem that there would be more customers complaining here or other forums. Also the fact that it work well when it is not going through a reset cycle suggests the system is intact. At any rate, somebody at tech support seems to think the problem is a bad modem. I just hope he's right and the new one arrives soon.

Here is some info from the reset logs, the logs for Tuesday and Wednesday are identical, 8 resets each day and each one says the same thing:

Reset Type: Valid Software Reset

Reset  Reason:  New  software  downloaded.

Current image 5.3.0.28, New  image 5.6.1.35

The software image I printed out when the system was first installed in Nov. 07 was  5.6.1.19. Somehow that got replaced by the old version.

It's here. I am reading the 66 page instruction manual now. I will post up when I complete the installation and commissioning. If I pull this off I think I will see if I can get a job as an installer [geek-small]

Yep might as well take the test anyway. Especially if it works. They might even hire you then.  :shocked:

The new modem will not register. The Antenna Pointing test fails.  Possible Gustav's 90 mph winds moved it.

I am going to try to move it it small increments and see waht happens.

You need to , if not already, call the ISP and give them the mac address of the new modem, they have to switch it over, or it will never work.

You need to , if not already, call the ISP and give them the mac address of the new modem, they have to switch it over, or it will never work.

I think I did that this morning via the console, I think they have it automated, they call it a "swap". At any rate the new modem is registered now and working. I did not have to repoint the dish after all. I had a minor brainstorm. In going through the registration process again I thought about the fact that the process plugs in your coordinates using a zipcode database, although there is an option to enter them manually. Well I live outside the city limits and my position is about 8 miles from the zipcode centroid. Using Garmin Mapsource I obtained the exact coordinates for my house and plug those in manually. They were both about .04 off from what was previously set. Bam, the pointing test passed and the registration proceeded without a hitch except for a new server address that XP didn't trust but I was able to fix that. That was at about 8:30 central and all seems well so far.

I think I did that this morning via the console, I think they have it automated, they call it a "swap". At any rate the new modem is registered now and working. I did not have to repoint the dish after all. I had a minor brainstorm. In going through the registration process again I thought about the fact that the process plugs in your coordinates using a zipcode database, although there is an option to enter them manually. Well I live outside the city limits and my position is about 8 miles from the zipcode centroid. Using Garmin Mapsource I obtained the exact coordinates for my house and plug those in manually. They were both about .04 off from what was previously set. Bam, the pointing test passed and the registration proceeded without a hitch except for a new server address that XP didn't trust but I was able to fix that. That was at about 8:30 central and all seems well so far.

Awesome !  :grin2:  Don't forget what you did, there will eventually be someone here that needs your help.  :icon_thumright:

Awesome !  :grin2:  Don't forget what you did, there will eventually be someone here that needs your help.   :icon_thumright:

I will remember what I did but I wish I had a better understanding of what went wrong in the first place. Maybe the power outage damaged the modem or did it just lose its configuration and couldn't get it restored until I keyed in the proper coordinates? Thanks for the support!