Usb 2.0 to sata/ide cable help

redaffinity

I have a few IDE ATA hard drives lying around from my old computers. I want to get the content out from the hard drives so i purchased a usb 2.0 to sata/ide cable. WHen i connect my hard drive to my laptop it doesn't show in my computer. When I check the hardware everything is installed correctly. How do I make my hard drive appear in my computer so I can access the data in it?

Where are the jumper settings?  And have you tried to boot from it ? You cannot see it in  " my computer " ?  Do you have the drivers installed, are the usb ports open, and installed ? Did you goto hdd  management and give a drive letter ?

Try running "diskmgmt.msc" , you should make sure , of you can see your drive, that it is not set to dynamic, , that it is to to basic.

I know nothing about jumper settings. The hard drive was previously used as a C: drive in my old broken desktop computer. There is a windows still installed on it. I am running vista on my laptop and when I plug the drive in with the usb..it automatically installs.

I haven't given it a drive letter yet.

How do I run diskmgmt.msc? How do i know if it is set to basic and not dynamic?

How do I run diskmgmt.msc? How do i know if it is set to basic and not dynamic?

There are several ways to get there, but you can start a shell by  going to  start > run > type " cmd" > then type " diskmgmt.msc " .

Or you can get there in the control panel to see if the HDD id dynamic or basic, by  control panel > administrative tools >  then look for disk management. Then you will see which disks are mounted, and be able to get information about them.

• 3 months later...

I have a problem that looks like this one...I think we have the same IDE/SATA to usb2.0 adaptor... found mine on ebay

exactly this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-Converter-Cable_W0QQitemZ260346203660QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item260346203660&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

When I get into the disk manager.. I can see that my computer is reading it... but it says that it is a foreign disk and that it is not initialized ( i translated it from french.. it probably sounds like that in english..!)  When I try to initialize it... an error message appear which says that "the peripheral is not ready" (once again.. translated from french)...  my usb drivers are updated..and my jumper is set to master but i tried it also in slave

I'm running on Windows Vista on a dell inspiron 530 new from this summer

I need help :( there are a lot of important datas on this hard drive and my other computer is dead