Plug a mic into speakers?

altoidz

So I just got a new mic and it's great and all, but I can't seem to get it to record when plugged into my speakers. I have my speakers -> sound card. Speaker control has 2 holes for the headphones and the mic. Problem is when I plug  my mic into the speaker's jack it doesn't record. I could just plug it into my sound cord, but the cord isn't long enough. I want to do this so I can easily switch between my headset and my speakers when I need to. Is there a way to do this, plug a mic into speakers and have it work?

So I just got a new mic and it's great and all, but I can't seem to get it to record when plugged into my speakers. I have my speakers -> sound card. Speaker control has 2 holes for the headphones and the mic. Problem is when I plug  my mic into the speaker's jack it doesn't record. I could just plug it into my sound cord, but the cord isn't long enough. I want to do this so I can easily switch between my headset and my speakers when I need to. Is there a way to do this, plug a mic into speakers and have it work?

I'm not sure that thats possible, because they are actually separate devices. (input/output)  

As stated.  The speaker jack is an "Output".  Hence the reason you hear music.  If you plug a micropone into a speaker jack you will either get nothing, some sound out the micrphone or ruin the microphone because of overdriving the pickup.  In order to record you must plug the microphone into an "Input" such as a microphone jack or another input jack of some kind, but not the speakers.

So when most people use head phones they just have those as output and don't use speakers? Because I want to use my headphones for gaming of course and the speakers for everything else. What's the point of a jack with a microphone symbol next to it on my speaker's control if it doesn't work? :P Do some kind of external microphone jacks I could hook up through USB exist?

so on your speakers do you have BOTH leads plugged into your PC for them to work

you need one plugged into the BLUE socket for speakers and One plugged into the Pink for the mic to work

Also As default windows MUTES the Mic

so you will need to Unmute it in the Volume control

and As long as both leads are in the Port on the front of the spakers should work