Old School, PCMCIA - Card Bus

Guest ExtremeFusion

Guest ExtremeFusion

:uglystupid2::angry::tickedoff:

Let start with the condition of my unit...

I have this perfectly working DELL latitude c840 laptop

with two card slots available

(those card slots supports type I, type II and type III cards)

i know that my two card slots are working perfectly, because i have

a belkin wireless network card that works perfectly on those two slots (either which one i choose)

Now this is the problem...

I just bought yesterday a generic (NO BRAND) pcmcia usb 2.0 card with NEC chip inside, and viola this type II card won't work with my latitude c840... as i mentioned before there are two card slots, i only use the upper card slot for the usb 2.0 pcmcia card

as i fear that i may damage the other slot (inserting the card is difficult and took a lot of effort, which normally should not be the case)

and when i insert the card in the upper slot, my computer hangs.. (no mouse pointer movement, keyboard won't work and alt+F4 won't do either) but when i removed the card things go back to normal...

now this is another bummer, when i inserted my belkin wireless network card in the upper slot the same thing happens, my computer hangs as if the usb card was inserted to it..

my belkin network card like i have said, works perfectly in either of those two card slots.. it is just when i inserted the usb card that things go out of place...

what do you think is the problem here?

i am worried that i have may permanently damage my upper card slot...

would anybody please put a helpful suggestion or insight to this problem...

thanks!  :wink:

btw, i miss you guys here in tmn.. :smitten:  been away for so long...

Only thing i can say is something I'm sure you have already figured out, never force any hardware. Chances are the slot has been damaged. Like you said.  You must have forced the type 2 in a type 1 slot, man, that should have thrown a flag right there. there's over 1/16 inch difference in the two from what I remember.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but does the wireless card work in the lower slot now, or is it messed up as well ?

Guest ExtremeFusion

well the laptop supports type II cards...

to add to that my wireless network card and the unbranded usb card are BOTH type II cards...

i check the pins in the card slots if any of them by chance got bended or broken.. but all of them are just fine...

the lower slot is not messed up.. only the upper slot is messed up

laptop hangs as soon as you put any card on the upper slot, it acted that way after i inserted the usb card in it...

well the laptop supports type II cards...

to add to that my wireless network card and the unbranded usb card are BOTH type II cards...

i check the pins in the card slots if any of them by chance got bended or broken.. but all of them are just fine...

the lower slot is not messed up.. only the upper slot is messed up

laptop hangs as soon as you put any card on the upper slot, it acted that way after i inserted the usb card in it...

Just for the sake of it, did you compare the two very closely as far as the thickness of them ?  I just can't see any force as you say , in inserting the card, you know ?