Dish Wildblue lack of speed

localpeon

Help.

I am on Dish's Wildblue satellite. I took the lowest tier to see how it would work, since I am way out in the country. So the advertised download speed is 500K and the up is 128K. I have yet to get close to the download speed they are talking about. If I understand the Testmy net narrative after test is run, ( see below)  I am getting a hand shake with wildblue at 507K and a download of data at 62K. I have had Dish Wildblue guy out three times and today they replaced the modem, the cable from modem to antenna and replaced the thing (sorry for this technical term) on the antenna. They have repeatably check the alignment on the antenna and it is as good as they can get it.  I am on a PC with XP 2002 with service pack 3, 1G of RAM, 100 G HD,  I just bought a new IMAC and have ran it on this same connection and get the same kind of speeds.  Any suggestions??

local.peon

(I am posting now but will be signing off for the nite and will check for responses later today.)

Download Stats

Download Connection is:: 507 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 507 kB)

Download Speed is:: 62 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/10/16 - 1:41am

Bottom Line:: 9X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 16.52 sec

Tested from a 507 kB file and took 8.192 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 49.75 % of your hosts average (32.39)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QLFAKYINU

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

(Apologies for the length of this and my poor descriptions of some items.)

Actually your numbers are as high as you can get. Or even slightly higher(495Kbps is somewhat perfect, accounting for overhead of the 512Kbps package).

Your speed is 507 Kilo bits per second

The next number is 62 kilo Bytes per second. (So times 8 for your speed).

Heres a quick and dirty answer for KiloBytes and Kilobits definitions/conversions.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080925023548AAFUkcr

But check that your fabulous speeds carry on past your first 30 days.. I see you did the test overnight..So test during between 5pm to 10pm to see what PrimeTime speeds are for you. Also use the larger tests to achieve better accuracy than the basic size speed test. Don't forget about the 30 day rolling FAP either.

zalternate and tommie gorman,

Thank you both for the the helpful information. I understand the difference now and am glad to know, at this tier, I am getting good numbers. I will monitor for 30 days and see how it averages, before I decide to go for the higher tier. Again I appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

local.peon