My upgrade........

ninjageek

Well I got my upgrades done. Putting in the cpu was simple. The video card was a bit of a challenge, That was my own fault.

I went from 4200 to the 6000 dual core, I jumped my video card from the 8600gt to the 8800gt. The only thing about the cpu that I wish I would of done diffrent. Amd for what ever reason made the fan that comes with the heat sink impossible to remove. Its like a rivot type of job. No screws. Easy Fix. I will spend 20 bucks for a new heat sink that has the removable fan. I will replace that. I like to remove the fan and clean the fan and the heat sink with a tooth brush, Not a fan of compressed air.

For the 220 bucks the final bill will come to with the new heat sink, I am impressed. Computer a bit faster, Games run tons better. Got a free game with the video card, Frontlines fule of war. This is probally the last I update this computer. Couple of years I will build a new one. So for the cash and the ease of putting everything in, Well worth it. Bites I gotta replace my heat sink. Should of waited for the new heat sink before putting in the cpu. Iive and learn. Learned lots, Not near as freaked out replacing the cpu. Video card was super long but fit ok. May hit staples and get a 3rd party cooling fan for the video card. Unsure.

There ya go. Now I am sure everyone will sleep better with that pointless information.  :haha:

Well I got my upgrades done. Putting in the cpu was simple. The video card was a bit of a challenge, That was my own fault.

I went from 4200 to the 6000 dual core, I jumped my video card from the 8600gt to the 8800gt. The only thing about the cpu that I wish I would of done diffrent. Amd for what ever reason made the fan that comes with the heat sink impossible to remove. Its like a rivot type of job. No screws. Easy Fix. I will spend 20 bucks for a new heat sink that has the removable fan. I will replace that. I like to remove the fan and clean the fan and the heat sink with a tooth brush, Not a fan of compressed air.

For the 220 bucks the final bill will come to with the new heat sink, I am impressed. Computer a bit faster, Games run tons better. Got a free game with the video card, Frontlines fule of war. This is probally the last I update this computer. Couple of years I will build a new one. So for the cash and the ease of putting everything in, Well worth it. Bites I gotta replace my heat sink. Should of waited for the new heat sink before putting in the cpu. Iive and learn. Learned lots, Not near as freaked out replacing the cpu. Video card was super long but fit ok. May hit staples and get a 3rd party cooling fan for the video card. Unsure.

There ya go. Now I am sure everyone will sleep better with that pointless information.  :haha:

I know I will sleep better now.  :lol: Sounds like a decent jump in things for real. Enjoy.

I respect your enthusiasm in digging into things that make you nervous. It's a sign of intelligence.

After the new year I'll be throwin together a gaming system for my son, so post back some good info on that gpu eh ? :grin2:

Really dlewis knows TONS more about the hardware stuff than I do. I will say for a build I really like starting out with the barebones setup. Get the tower, motherboard, cpu, and power supply all pre installed. That way one of the three go bad its on them. I like the choices at  cpusolutions.com. Then just as time and money allow, Add the ram, harddrives, Dvd Drives, all that kinda stuff. I do rember not only dlewis but someone else say stay away from the quads for now. Kinda a over kill and not much better than the dual cores, Something to do with the software not ready for the quads.

With so many 8800's out there I would think game makers would try to keep games able to run on that card. That was one of the reasons I went with the 8800gt. In the end. Really, Decide how much cash you are gonna part with, then Go from there. The 8600 I had ran all the recent games including crysis just fine. Looked great. SO take the whole "this card is so much better" with a grain of salt.