VCD vs SVCD

risky

Hi Risky, When I convert avi files I always convert them to VCD and they work perfectly fine for me as my DVD player will recognize them. It will also play SVCD but when I'd convert them to SVCD they didn't play as well as they do when converting them to VCD. If I remember right the SVCD compresses them more than the VSD does. I just experimented until I found the best option for me.

SVCD (Super Video Compact Disc) is closer to DVD quality than VCD (Video Compact Disc).

I just bought this dvd player for $64.95 a few days ago, and it plays virtually everything. With this player, you don't even have to use DVD-R disc. I just take the DVD quality movie from my hard drive and burn it with any program like regular data. The movie plays flawlessly and looks like DVD quality (or however it looked on your monitor). This is all done without encoding the move to VCD or SVCD. Money well spent.

View the player here: Philips DVP642

What is SVCD? More Info Here

SVCD stands for "Super VideoCD". A SVCD is very similiar to a VCD, it has the capacity to hold about 35-60 minutes on 74/80 min CDs of very good quality full-motion video along with up to 2 stereo audio tracks and also 4 selectable subtitles. A SVCD can be played on many standalone DVD Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a SVCD and also simple photo album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a SVCD is much better than a VCD, especially much more sharpen picture than a VCD because of the higher resolution. But the quality depends how many minutes you choose to store on a CD, less minutes/CD generally means higher quality.

What is VCD? More Info Here

VCD stands for 'Video Compact Disc' and basically it is a CD that contains moving pictures and sound. If you're familiar with regular audio/music CDs, then you will know what a VCD looks like. A VCD has the capacity to hold up to 74/80 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of full-motion video along with quality stereo sound. VCDs use a compression standard called MPEG to store the video and audio. A VCD can be played on almost all standalone DVD Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a VCD and also simple photo album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a very good VCD is about the same as a VHS tape based movie but VCD is usually a bit more blurry. If you want better quality checkout SVCD,CVD or DVD.

• 2 weeks later...