MPEG to DVD Converter

keith1178

keith1178 ;Super is a great program & useful for what was in the topic Coknuck linked .

It probably won't do what you want but I'm guessing on that.

I will try to help you if you will describe in more detail what you are trying to do.

For instance are you trying to convert the MPEG so you can burn it to a DVD disc that will play on a set top DVD player?

Be sure to DL the latest version of DVD Flick it is freeware.I had an older version but got the new one to test an MPEG.

I would look at the guides in the links posted by gwenstefni but they are for an older version of DVD Flick.

Also read the guide that is with the program.

It has some instructions for using the Menu settings.I'm sure you will want to create a menu.You will probably need to play with the settings to get the menu to do what you want.I suggest you only use a couple of MPEG files & a RW DVD disc. test until you get the menu to work like you want then burn one with as many MPEGs as you want or have room for.

On the MPEG's you may get a codec warning .Ignor it if possible.

Also DVD Flick uses ImgBurn as its burner but it is included & automated with DVD Flick.

The guides in the links probably have you doing more than you need because you probably aren't adding a French audio track or French subtitles.So you can skip a lot of that.

It also leaves some files in the destination folder on the HD you will want to delete after it burns the DVD disc

Last if you are in the USA you want it NTSC not PAL.

All in All a good software.

Shug7272 ;I tried the trial version of Convert X to DVD  & you are correct it is a nice program just not free.

Here is a link below for what is the companies older free version.It doesn't create menus though.

There is a pretty good program for doing some nice menus that is freeware DVDStyler .

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

Shug7272 ;I tried the trial version of Convert X to DVD  & you are correct it is a nice program just not free.

Here is a link below for what is the companies older free version.It doesn't create menus though.

There is a pretty good program for doing some nice menus that is freeware DVDStyler .

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

:icon_thumleft:

Coknuck : Just curious what was the size of your start AVI ?

What size was the DVD files (VIDEO_TS folder) before using DVDShrink ?

If anyone tries DVDStyler it can be picky about the files you put in it so it may not work for some .vob files.If it doesn't like their structure.

It will let you use almost any image you want for the menu background.It won't do action backgrounds though.

Also be sure & get the PDF guides at the site.

TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 3  is supposed to be one of the best.It seems more than I need & might be a bit complicated.

I would try the trial version but it is very crippled so usless for a real trial of the software.

Thanks Coknuck;

I like Shrink it's real handy.I used the Reauthor mode to cut both ends off a movie I record off satellite.I usually allow some extra time on each end on my DVD recorder timer to make sure I get the whole movie & that is what I cut.

If you didn't know this VLC player will play most individual .vobs so you can check the audio with it.Usually if one .vob has audio all do.

Another free software will let you check the file & tell you the audio that it detects .Media Info. It won't let you listen to it but the First Audio Stream box will be empty if there is no Audio.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I need to look for it but I applied a tweak to my Vista OS that will let me play a DVD format video on my hard drive.

In Windows Media Center.

I will post it if I can find it.

Here's the Vista WMC tweak if anyone needs it:

The first thing you need to do is edit the Windows Vista registry so that Media Center displays a "gallery" view of your DVDs instead of just a "play DVD" button.  To do this, run "regedit" and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMedia CenterSettingsDvdSettings and change the String Value  Value name "ShowGallery" to value data to "Gallery."(see image below)

Next, set up the location where you will store all of the DVDs.The C: root  So in my case, I created a folder called "C:DVD".

It should be like this C:DVD . Then each movie with it's own folder .MOVIE name with the Folder with the movie name containing the AUDIO_TS,VIDEO_TS & folder.jpg(if you want an image for the movie)

The video folders in the C:DVD folder should be like this C:DVDMOVIE nameAUDIO_TS  VIDEO_TS  folder.jpg(if you want an image)

The image name must be folder.jpg  so you need to change the image name to that once copied into the folder.

Make sure to add this directory to your Media Center Library's watched folders.

Media CenterTasksSettingsLibrary SetupAdd folder to watch

Next Add folders on this computer Next

This will give you a list of drives & locations Select C: then the DVD folder then next then finish.

You can remove the watched folder with the Stop watching selection any time you like.

You might be able to use a completely different drive that you only have videos on I haven't tried.

To create the movie "box shot" for Media Center, I use the center of the universe: Amazon.  Just type in your movie name for the search and should be able to find a good looking box shot within about 10 seconds of scanning the results.  I like to click the image I find so that it pops up a larger view and therefore the best quality image I can get.  You of course can get the image anywhere you like, but the key is you MUST save this image as "folder.jpg" in the same directory as all the movie files. 

Thank you! Changed the string value and did the Media Center set up! :afro: I just upgraded to Vista Ultimate and the only real difference I see is it takes longer to boot up. It has some benefits but not enough to change from Vista Premium. Just thought I'd throw that in for the hell of it. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the Prism AVI / Video Converter Software in the link.Although it has a freeware version but you have to burn to DVD with Express Burn Plus which only has a 14 day free trial.

I'm not even sure the burner comes with the Plus version.

You have to buy a service contract to get support.

So this is one I would pass on.

Coknuck if you happen to read this did you try a DVD compliant folder & file set from the hard drive to WMC after the tweak ?