Windows 7 pre-beta hits BitTorrent

Shug7272

The pre-beta version of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system released to developers at the Professional Developers Conference has already made it onto prominent BitTorrent sites, where thousands of enthusiasts around the world are currently downloading it.

Well-known BitTorrent sites such as The Pirate Bay and Mininova were at the time of publication Friday hosting multiple downloads of the newly aired operating system--both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

On The Pirate Bay, one copy of the 32-bit build had more than one thousand people uploading it, and almost 7,000 people on the way to downloading it. The 64-bit version was less popular, with the earliest copy available on the site having only around 100 people hosting a copy and around a thousand still downloading it.

Windows Live Messenger

Enthusiasts downloading the pre-beta version of Windows 7 will notice that instead of being greeted by Vista's Welcome Center, users are taken to a Windows Live Messenger sign-in page.

(Credit: Robert Vamosi/CNET Networks; Microsoft)

There were complaints that the version offered wasn't the latest build, but instead the stable one given the delegates and therefore didn't have the revised taskbar. Complaints also abounded about how slow the download was considering the lack of people seeding the file.

The most popular link for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on Mininova had a similar number of people downloading and uploading the file as that on The Pirate Bay, although the 64-bit version on this site was a rare breed with only one copy boasting 30 seeds and around 150 leechers.

Some people weren't excited. "There is nothing (sic) new in it," wrote one commenter. "I wouldn't recommend this to download. Waste of time. Happy with Vista."

Others called for a reality check. "Seriously people. This was just a PRE-beta release that was given out at a trade show so writers would write about the new version. This SHOULD NOT be downloaded with the intent of using it as an everyday system. It is just so writers could get a feel for what was to come."

Businesses might wonder what the new operating system will mean for their business. "I was in Redmond three weeks ago and had a sneak peek," said Peter Menadue, who holds the role of global director of solutions and technology, Microsoft solutions business within systems integrator Dimension Data.

"I think they've done a stellar job. Sinofsky's a genius," he added, referring to Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky, senior vice president of the Windows and Windows Live engineering group.

He said that what didn't come out in the press coverage about Windows 7 were all the bits of the operating system that would be interesting to enterprise, with aspects like application security, data security, and application deployment getting a facelift.

The support for virtualization was something Menadue flagged as being of interest to business, as well as Microsoft's pledge to maintain application and driver compatibility with Vista.

Dimension Data will get the M3 code for Windows 7 before the end of the year, which will allow it to start an early deployment program internally.

Menadue said there had been a lot of interest in the operating system because there had been much less information than there was on previous releases, with Microsoft carefully controlling what reached the press, but added that with the current climate, companies were focused "on the here and now."

These comments were echoed by Jo Sweeney, adviser at analyst firm Intelligent Business Research Services. "What tends to happen (in times like these) is that IT professionals get much more focused on proving and not improving," he said. "People will (move to) Windows 7 because if they can put greater management features into it, it will solve some of the problems of desktop computing."

More than 80 percent of IT costs go into the day-to-day running of IT, Sweeney said--keeping all the PCs running, making sure everyone has the right patches--and Microsoft's dynamic IT strategy, in which Windows 7 is a part, will make that easier by allowing the separation of applications and user profiles from the operating system. This will allow anyone anywhere on the network to access their profile.

People doing best-practice desktop management will already have realized those improvements, Sweeney said, with Microsoft's direction being a reaction to the market, although he admitted it was a good one. "How do they execute?" he asked. "Question mark."

Link

From some I have seen they claim a phone call was all it took to get a key. Think microsoft is really changing there ways with this release. It until it goes final I just don't think they will get to excited about how many have it.

Makes sense. The more people talk about it, maybe people will not avoid it like they did vista. Its just the geeks that will play with it anyway. I have seen some really good things about this one. They say it will compare like windows 2000 does to xp. Vista=WIndows 2000 Windows 7=Xp.

So far things are pretty positive. Vista drivers work with it so thats a good thing. Had to laugh about some complaining about this and that not working. Um hello thats why its called beta.

I may give windows 7 a shot. I hated and avoided vista. My thing was the whole boot issues. I would hope they fixed that this time. I mean vista and xp dual booting was a night mare.  That was a BIG OOPS from microsoft.

I know some very smart people are working on a way to slipstream vista the way you can Xp with nlite. That would be another biggie. So depending how it all plays out in a couple of years this geek may make the jump.

Not to change the subject, what will have to change to make you switch from xp??

I have changed to Vista. I don't use the desk top with XP anymore! Vista seems smoother and faster than XP. For what I do 2gigs of memory is plenty. I have a copy of the Windows 7 beta and I'm going to mount it on VirtualPC to see how it is.

Forsure give us your thoughts on what you think of it. Improvements all that good stuff. Of course when you have the time.

Gates pulled another boo boo. Ok everyone knows this pretty much a "new improved vista"  Like hackers have gotten xp delt with. Vista is pretty much a done deal now. New release of windows 7 hack has already  pretty much done. So in short the second this hits the selfs, The torrents will fly. Systems will crash, babies will cry and everyone will continue to ask, Hows come this wont boot with xp. And for the love of god how do I put xp back on my computer.

Vista does NOT equal windows 2000.  If anything, XP = 2000, Vista = ME, and hopefully 7 = XP.

Sorry ghost. Lynux and Apple is what windows should of been long ago. Millions spent making it and lynux is still more secure, Does way more things, Has some sweet eye candy and you can torrent it all day without the fear of the feds tossing your home and your new boyfriend tossing your salad.

After everything I have seen of late. Its time to take another hard look at lynux. Messed with it once. Gave up. Think I will put forth more of a effort.

I have been seeing this talk of how great Linux is for years, and have yet to see anyone make a version that is easier to use for non technical folks than OSX or XP.  It is much harder for average Joe to find and install software to use for Linux, even though there is so much out there.  Until there is a unified consortium of Linux, I doubt it's market share will grow all that much.

I have been seeing this talk of how great Linux is for years, and have yet to see anyone make a version that is easier to use for non technical folks than OSX or XP.  It is much harder for average Joe to find and install software to use for Linux, even though there is so much out there.  Until there is a unified consortium of Linux, I doubt it's market share will grow all that much.

That is never going to happen. Linux isn't ment for people who are not techincal. I don't think we will ever see the day where it is as easy as OS X or windows to install software on it.

Even for people who know what they are doing linix is still a pain in the ass to do things. But it is the best server OS around and that's where it should stay.

Definately the best server OS.  Especially CENTOS.

Yea. I run CentOS on all my servers for my sites and I switched our servers at my office from ubuntu to centos, and now everything is running so much better. I have 138 days of uptime or more on all of my servers and I was never able to get even close with RHEL or Debian.