Linux builds

biker9075

OpenSuse 11 with Gnome

Yea I went Gnome to. Sure seems to be better and faster, still customize it as you want. TONS easier to find stuff you want.

My new responce to someone asking What linux build to go with.

There Is one thing you need to decide before which version of linux you want. There are 2 Basic desktops to choose from.

KDE- That will give you all the fancy, Cube, Windows Blows up kinda stuff. You will spend some time trying to figure what does what and what keyboard shortcuts you will need to make some of the fancy stuff do what it does. Finding installed programs can be a bit tough.

Gnome- Not all the bells and whistles but you can still customize it, add themes, Looks nice, as a new Linux user myself from windows 98 days, Gnome is much easier to find stuff, and Can be changed over to kde in time if you want.

As far as which brand of linux, Ubuntu,OpenSuse, all that, They are all pretty much the same. One offers no more features than the other, What may work Great on my computer, May not work well with yours.

The one Build That is as close to windows as you can possible get, Including the desktop trash can and "my computer" icon is Manriva I prefer 2008.

So decide on your desktop, Then decide which flavor of Linux you want, Hit the forums, Give the one you like a shot.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys I found a distro that all my god does it all from install and works flawlessly

Linux Mint

I been using it since Feb and Oh My god i seriously have kick windows to the curb I have not booted up to it in probably 3 months

I even converted my parents to it and they love it. They  are like I thought linux was hard to use and why are they paying so much for people who know how to set up linux when its been way easier to do than windows

Only complain they have is Windows Media Player My dad loved that application

seriously this is the distro I been reprimanding to every1 since i discover it. Plus its based off of Ubuntu and Debian so App comparability is a non issue . I have never had to compile jack shit or open up terminal

Even my printer work plug and play with no drivers to load something that was a hit or miss with Windows

Serously it has all codecs so u can watch youtube straight from the live cd as well as a great selection of apps already preinstall only thing i ever install out of the preconfigure stuff is that i Install Filezilla and Songbird

I have been useing a build named "MINT" from Ireland. it will run from a CD or you can install to a hard drive.

It is a build from Ubuntu and Debian.

I also have a build of KNOPPIX on a thumb drive as well as UBUNTU on another thumb drive.  If you have a Bios that you can boot a thumb drive is effective.

I have not been able to get MINT to run on my 64 bit lap top and I have not searched to see if they have  64 bit build.

Read about MINT here

http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php

greetings!

Yea I went Gnome to. Sure seems to be better and faster, still customize it as you want. TONS easier to find stuff you want.

My new responce to someone asking What linux build to go with.

There Is one thing you need to decide before which version of linux you want. There are 2 Basic desktops to choose from.

KDE- That will give you all the fancy, Cube, Windows Blows up kinda stuff. You will spend some time trying to figure what does what and what keyboard shortcuts you will need to make some of the fancy stuff do what it does. Finding installed programs can be a bit tough.

Gnome- Not all the bells and whistles but you can still customize it, add themes, Looks nice, as a new Linux user myself from windows 98 days, Gnome is much easier to find stuff, and Can be changed over to kde in time if you want.

As far as which brand of linux, Ubuntu,OpenSuse, all that, They are all pretty much the same. One offers no more features than the other, What may work Great on my computer, May not work well with yours.

The one Build That is as close to windows as you can possible get, Including the desktop trash can and "my computer" icon is Manriva I prefer 2008.

So decide on your desktop, Then decide which flavor of Linux you want, Hit the forums, Give the one you like a shot.

aside from KDE and GNOME, don't forget XFCE at http://www.xfce.org/, the lightest of them all. this can resurrect very old PCs, if you have one.

probably the easiest to install and co-exist with windows is ubuntu, the one that can be installed inside the windows environment, through wubi.

peace!

greetings!

Well I got a new hard drive on the way from newegg, so I am going to wipe the old one and install vista on the new drive and linux on the old drive. The only problem is theres so many linux builds out there. Anyone have any recommendations?

if you're a windows user and want to experience linux, go with mandriva, the closest linux build to windows.

smallest footprint for me is puppy linux retro, which you will not use since you have an old hard disk and a fast computer with lots of ram.

try most, if not all distros before you decide.

better if you can install virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/ inside windows so you can try distros without even bothering your windows environment.

good luck...

I had my hands on a touch screen something, that used it, of course it was slow , and obviously very network dependent,  get too many apps open, and your stalled out. I'm sure this has a place in the future, big time, but for now as the infrastructure in the US is behind a bit.  Maybe 20 years from now when there are no wires strung everywhere.

just downloaded and burned linux mint, it looks pretty sweet, im about to dual boot with xp. seems simple enough reading through all the info i have found. will post up some screens when its done.

Lemmie know what you think about it, I have it on cd as well, I was gonna try it in a VM.

• 1 year later...

linux mint 9 is what i finally chose to go with. i was a little scared about switching from windows to linux, but mint has a very nice look and feel to it. right out of the box it does everything i want it to do and then some. has a windows kinda feel to it also. i would suggest linux mint to any new linux users. i put it on my old desktop pc and removed windows completely and havent had the urge to even look at or touch windows again.

• 1 month later...

Well I got a new hard drive on the way from newegg, so I am going to wipe the old one and install vista on the new drive and linux on the old drive. The only problem is theres so many linux builds out there. Anyone have any recommendations?

...I think it really depends on how involved you want to get with the OS. You can install a very user-friendly, hold-your-hand-all-the-way distro like Ubuntu if you like. This has the advantage of being basically the same as a Winbloze install...easy, straightforward, most decisions made for you, etc. you'll get a great, functional OS with lots of bells and whistles and FAR less bloatware than a Win build. This is probably the best choice for 90% of new-to-Linux users.

Alternatively, if you really want to build the thing from the ground up and make all the decisions yourself (window manager, services, applications, functional role of the box, etc.), then you might want to go with something like Arch Linux, which has EXCELLENT documentation, but basically just gets you a kernel and shell and lets you build out from there. This is what I did, and I've been VERY happy with the result. I'm running Gnome over Arch and over the past couple of years, I've had alot of fun developing a system that is perfectly suited to its role. Along the way, I've learned a lot about hardware, kernel install and maintenance, window managers, RAID, remote access and lots of other kewl stuff...

I'm putting together a new Win7 box right now just as a fun gaming project, but I have not regretted building the Linux system at all, and use it as my main PC all the time now. It's current uptime is over four months, with no perceptible performance degradation.

--hope this helps