Linux builds

biker9075

Myself LIke Kubuntu. I can tell ya Someone once said and I firmly believe it. Pick one and stick with it. Give it plenty of time. There is a learning curve. Now if you really want something as close to windows xp as you can get, Mandrake. I also suggest is joining the forum of the flavor of lynux you go with.

Lynux is fun to mess around with. Learn and all that good stuff. Just keep a copy of windows on your computer for the important stuff. Oh if you wanna back up lynux, Ghost 14 from nortons works real well.

I would take say two bulids your are considering. Then hit there forums and see who is having trouble with what then kinda go with your gut. I thought about jumping up to kubuntu 8.10 but not real sure I am to crazy about kde 4. Because you can not get the earlier verson with 8.10 I will just stay with 8.04 and with the vista nightmare, Will try harder to learn it.

I'm not fond of Sudo, so I tend to stray from Ubuntu builds.  I stick with CentOS, but I do like SUSE.  Now, if someone will step up and make a decent build for PS3, they'd have my attention.  Though that would require support from Sony to get the graphics card unlocked.  Otherwise it's just a waste.  I tried YDL, which I liked, but is still just painfully slow on PS3.

Well I have decided to go with CentoOS. I like the kde3 verson. Hate the 4 verson.

Rember, Linux.......Use it for surfing,

Downloading any files and messing with them, Xp

Generally speaking Linux geeks tend to Pi@# me off when offering help. They wanna give a half a$# response using terms a new user probally does not understand, And hope google provides the rest and fills in the blanks. I HATE THAT. I have Flamed more than a few for that kinda garbage.

Point and click step by step. Lets not frustrate a already frustrated new user. OK?? Lets not make it tougher by making them play hide and go seek with google. While The linux geeks may think they are being super geeks, The only thing they are showing me is there a complete clueless DumbA#*. Either help or shut up.

I really suggest pokeing around kubuntu forums. No matter what flavor of Linux you go with. Brand New users tend to give that one a shot first. You may get Lots of useful info from there. I have centosOS down and gonna burn and see how it goes.

It would be the same to me as telling a brand new windows user how to deal with a ziped file from the net. A linux geek would respond.........download winrar......there ya go...

Download the file save to desktop. Download and Install winrar...WHen winrar is done. Right click on the file you just downloaded and pick the term"extract here". Make sure to scan the file with a antivirus before openiing. If you need any more help, Just ask.

Thats how you help a new user.

Generally speaking Linux geeks tend to Pi@# me off when offering help. They wanna give a half a$# response using terms a new user probally does not understand, And hope google provides the rest and fills in the blanks. I HATE THAT. I have Flamed more than a few for that kinda garbage.

Point and click step by step. Lets not frustrate a already frustrated new user. OK?? Lets not make it tougher by making them play hide and go seek with google. While The linux geeks may think they are being super geeks, The only thing they are showing me is there a complete clueless DumbA#*. Either help or shut up.

You know you say that, but yet your the one asking the questions, so they are not a compleate clueless dumb ass. What they tell you is the way to do it, not everything in linux is point and click, the correct way to do things is in a command line.

I probably get 15 - 20 questions a week from people asking how to do something on linux and most don't like the responce because they have no clue what I said and I'm now at the point if you don't know it, don't use it.

You know you say that, but yet your the one asking the questions, so they are not a compleate clueless dumb ass. What they tell you is the way to do it, not everything in linux is point and click, the correct way to do things is in a command line.

I probably get 15 - 20 questions a week from people asking how to do something on linux and most don't like the responce because they have no clue what I said and I'm now at the point if you don't know it, don't use it.

Because your in linux mode and thinking linux. When someone asks a question. Explain it like you would to your 80 year old grandmother. Explain it like you would a windows issue with a new user. Open...Point..........click.........do this. If they need to download from a repoistory, and can find it there, Explain or give them a link to what the heck a repository is. Explain Linux is for safe surfing.........windows is for playing with files.

Many a time when helping a new window user. I had to stop. And point, click, open my self just to rember how to do it the easy way, Most the time its just second nature.

When speaking linux to new users your speaking a forien language brand new to them. Your a smart guy lewis, you know your stuff. Now you just gotta get to the point of "dumbing" down the responce.

Because your in linux mode and thinking linux. When someone asks a question. Explain it like you would to your 80 year old grandmother. Explain it like you would a windows issue with a new user. Open...Point..........click.........do this. If they need to download from a repoistory, and can find it there, Explain or give them a link to what the heck a repository is. Explain Linux is for safe surfing.........windows is for playing with files.

Many a time when helping a new window user. I had to stop. And point, click, open my self just to rember how to do it the easy way, Most the time its just second nature.

When speaking linux to new users your speaking a forien language brand new to them. Your a smart guy lewis, you know your stuff. Now you just gotta get to the point of "dumbing" down the responce.

I'm thinking linux because i'm trying to tell them how to do something in linux. Its not windows you can't do things like you do on windows. People are so fucking stupid and stuck in there little windows world and think that you can do everything same way you do on windows. Thats not the way it works.

I am not going to dumbdown anything that I am telling them, because if we start doing that then we are just fucking windows. If someone comes to me and asks me how to update the OS i'm not going to tell them click here, then click thier, open the terminal and type yum update. No, i'm going to tell them open the terminal and run yum update.

I'm not going to hold someones hand through the process, they are choosing to use a OS that is not as frendly to use as windows they need to open there fucking head, use that brain they have in there and learn that google is there friend. Almost anything you want to do you can find out how on google. And they will even tell you the exact commands to run to do what ever you want to do. Fort example if you wanted to make it into a LAMP server there are guides around that will tell you ervery single command to run to install everything you need. All you have to do is copy and paste.

If we start holding peoples hands through every process then we are going to be windows.

Thank you for making my point. Its cool, more and more new users are making the switch. The days of Just that type of attitude from the hardcore linux geeks will hopefully be a thing of the past, The days of linux being just on a geeks computer are coming to a end. I myself will continue to help when and however I can, I will Keep it super simple. And enjoy flaming the old school linux user. Its something to do when boredom sets in. Things change, In time, this to will change.

Thank you for making my point. Its cool, more and more new users are making the switch. The days of Just that type of attitude from the hardcore linux geeks will hopefully be a thing of the past, The days of linux being just on a geeks computer are coming to a end. I myself will continue to help when and however I can, I will Keep it super simple. And enjoy flaming the old school linux user. Its something to do when boredom sets in. Things change, In time, this to will change.

Aslong as linux stays the way it functions that will never happen. It's a speciality OS thats not ment to be easy.

The way I see it, if your to lazy to try and figure out how to use something yourself by means of searching google or any other means, then you shouldn't bother with it. When I ask a question I expect the answer to be the way they would do it. I don't expect it to be dumbed down or anything. If theres something I don't understand, then thats where google comes in. You can find almost anything through google.

Well myself after deciding to get back into linux. I have decided after reading to avoid kde 4 for now. In time maybe. I also tried a few, ubuntu, hates my cd burner and older versons with kde 3.5 I want refuse to install. I then remberd Someone talked of Madvriva. So I went and foud the verson that had the last verson of kde 3.5 with it. Its mandriva 2008.

Its forsure the one That I am gonna stay with. Has a windows feel, super easy, has a kde 3.5 I wanted. Installed in no time, I downloaded, burned and installed in about 30 mn. Super easy, Super Fast Seems stable, and all my drivers work. May wanna take a look at it.

Yea I did take a look at that one ghost. After the fight I had With ubuntu and simply mephis (think that was the name??) 

Mandriva just loaded so fast, so easy updates are simple, Think I will just stay with this one. From a old windows user this IMHO is about the best one to start out with. Learn it and stuff. I gotta long row to hoe. Lots to learn. Lots to read. Thankful I have Nortons ghost 14 that will back up linux no problem. I pretty much know xp, I am not a fan of vista, and  the new windows heading our way, Just think its time to switch.

Time to get on with my geek self and learn something new. Just my 2 cents. But thanks for the imput.

I was hoping to have linux installed by now, but I was having some trouble with the vista bootloader not loading properly after a fresh install which seems to be fixed now after deleting the boot entry and allowing vista to rebuild it via the dvd. Just got the old drive hooked up and I am reformatting it now