MAIL SERVER ISSUES

cbtshare

hello

I have a 2003sp2  domain controller (one network card) .I use is as my mail server with microsoft exchange 2003 sp2 and webserver.I dont have a static address so I use No-ip service to map my dynamic ip.I live in Canada so I have rogers and on the router I forwarded port 25 for all mail.I configured DNS and with appropiate MX records bout on noip and the local dns server.

Problem..

I am able to recieve mail but am not able to send out  out externally. I am am also able to telnet my domain name port 25 but I am still unable to send out mail.please can someone suggest anything lol i  been at this for 2 days.( am not sure if the setup allows you to have one NIC,I've been using exchange for sometime now and this is my first time setting it up with one NIC.

I forwarded the ports from my router yet when I run smtpdiag I get this

Computer name is SERVER.

VSI 1 has the following external DNS servers:

Checking SOA for uucsolar.com.(domain I want to send to)

Checking external DNS servers.

Checking internal DNS servers.

SOA serial number match: Passed.

Checking local domain records.

Checking MX records using TCP: mydomain.com.

Checking MX records using UDP: mydomain.com.

Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Local DNS test passed.

Checking remote domain records.

Checking MX records using TCP: uucsolar.com.

Checking MX records using UDP: uucsolar.com.

Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Remote DNS test passed.

Checking MX servers listed for [email protected].

Connecting to uucsolar.com [72.27.171.90] on port 25.

Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10060

Failed to submit mail to uucsolar.com.

Please Help

I am able to recieve mail but am not able to send out  out externally. I am am also able to telnet my domain name port 25 but I am still unable to send out mail.please can someone suggest anything lol i  been at this for 2 days.( am not sure if the setup allows you to have one NIC,I've been using exchange for sometime now and this is my first time setting it up with one NIC.

That is something your ISP does. They will only allow mail to be sent through there mail server when on there network. My ISP does the same thing, but I was able to get around it by using a different port for my SMTP server.

ok thank you lewis, I tried using port 587but now it wont accept or send mail either.I am using 2003 Exchange as stated, is it as simple as going into the default virtual server , clicking advance and changing port 25 to 587?

Also is it that from you are receiving mail, its fair to say that port 25 is open, even when you cant send out?(I just dont want it to be that I didnt open the port correctly)

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is still an issue.. I did some MX background searches... you do not have a MX record currently.. at least that I can see.

MX Lookup Test

E-mail tested: [email protected]

Test performed from: Seattle, WA

Test performed at: 2008-12-01 11:44:59 (GMT -05:00)

Known MX records: Error:No MX records found.

Alright.. the MX record looks good..

DNS              Weight IP     Responding Location

server.ontariowiz.com     5 **.***.***.234 Online Etobicoke, ON, Canada

Are you able to send and receive mail?  Also is there a test account that we can send/receive mail from?

It is a relay issue.. Sorry I was pretty busy today.   That could be a possibility however, you shouldn't need an ISP relay server to do this.  The only thing that I can think that it would be is a DNS issue.

Well I went to DNS.net and it sed the dns was good.So I'm stumped ,really sure

Alright... a little update at to where this issue stands, for those who are interested.

First the exchange server was missing an SMTP connector that would work correctly with the Internet.  The easiest way to solve this issue was to use the Internet Mail Wizard..  :cool:  This enabled the server to lookup up the domains via DNS and send them on their way. 

Next was the issue of the ISP.  Inbound SMTP is allowed however outbound SMTP via port 25 is not.  Therefore what we are going to try next is using the ISPs mail server as a relay host.  I have done this in the past with Comcast.. however, I am not sure how cbtshare's ISP has their mail server configured... Meaning that they may or many not forward mail from any other domains through their servers.

• 2 weeks later...