Boosting cable speed on FAST services..not

KBolt

Boosting cable speed on FAST services is NOT possible past certain speeds and setups.

Someone wrote

The things you need to do if you have Vista and cant reach 90% of advertised speed...
. Well, not quite so...

Someone should also tell that nothing can be done if you have one regular PC connected to cable service >20Mbit/s.

You will NEVER get 90% of the advertised speed, never. No matter what kind of modem or the rest of your rig you have.

If you could plug your PC directly to main fiber you still wouldn't get the full speed.

That is because "PC" can handle fairly small amount of data internally.

In other words : The maximum "speed" of PC:s data handling is lower than the speed of the cable input.

Even if you own fairly hi-end PC (will cost more than pocket money..) you will never get the full (DOWNLOAD) speed.

There is nothing you can do about it ---> No need (no rational reason) to buy >20Mbit/s service.

The full speed of fast cable service is in use when you have 2 or more HIGH QUALITY PC:s, for example, doing downloading.

This is the only way to benefit from services over 20Mbit/s. (And you don't have to tweak...).

P.S. Well assembled PC (made from quality components..) can handle data maybe at the speed of 20..30Mbit/s MAX

(depends greatly what hardware / software is used..).

We're not in the 80's anymore though. For throughoutput in a PC the only bottleneck left is the harddisk, which reaches speeds of 50+ MB/s, which is 400Mbit/s or higher. DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems cap around 50 or higher (not sure, but it's far higher than the 20 Mbit you claim), DSL is a distance-dependant connection, but can reach speeds of 24 Mbit (DSL2+) when near the node.

One can and will be able to get the advertised speed through tweaking and finding the right server (close distance and high speed capable), I'm on 24/2.5 and I have seen stable speeds of 2.8 - 2.9 MB/s on certain downloads. On some overloaded networks, picking a moment where the network is least loaded can help too.

One other possible limitation is network speed, most routers operate at 100Mbit, though Gbit is available. Budget motherboards offer 100Mbit network connectivity, anything above that is Gbit, and expensive ones even have dual Gbit. Cat5 cable is not made for Gbit, but can reach speeds higher than 100 Mbit. Cat6 should be able to reach 600-700 at least, the exact numbers I do not recall, but once again, far above your 20 Mbit 'cap'.

I will not allow anyone to spread such misinformation on testmy.net.

We're not in the 80's anymore though. For throughoutput in a PC the only bottleneck left is the harddisk, which reaches speeds of 50+ MB/s, which is 400Mbit/s or higher. DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems cap around 50 or higher (not sure, but it's far higher than the 20 Mbit you claim), DSL is a distance-dependant connection, but can reach speeds of 24 Mbit (DSL2+) when near the node.

One can and will be able to get the advertised speed through tweaking and finding the right server (close distance and high speed capable), I'm on 24/2.5 and I have seen stable speeds of 2.8 - 2.9 MB/s on certain downloads. On some overloaded networks, picking a moment where the network is least loaded can help too.

One other possible limitation is network speed, most routers operate at 100Mbit, though Gbit is available. Budget motherboards offer 100Mbit network connectivity, anything above that is Gbit, and expensive ones even have dual Gbit. Cat5 cable is not made for Gbit, but can reach speeds higher than 100 Mbit. Cat6 should be able to reach 600-700 at least, the exact numbers I do not recall, but once again, far above your 20 Mbit 'cap'.

I will not allow anyone to spread such misinformation on testmy.net.

Damn, how'd I miss this ?            I'll second that  !

Sorry, KBolt...

I don't know where you get your information, but it's just plain wrong.  Sure, there will always be overhead and most people will never see the full speed of their internet connection because of that, but there is no general 20-30 megabit per second cap.

I have seen download/upload results of 195.42/53.53 megabits per second (200,120 kbps download, 54,820 kbps upload) - and that's on university computers, which aren't typically bleeding edge machines.

there is no general 20-30 megabit per second cap.

I know this, more than well, and I didn't even say that there is some cap. I wrote that there is no point getting superfast connection service only for the exitement of having one and because "they sold it cheap..".

I did exaggerate on some parts for a reason...

Budget motherboards offer 100Mbit network connectivity
Sure...they offer free games too...( this gategory motherboard are free today if you know where to go and get them..)

So, you are trying to say that it's a kind of a "feature" when client MUST tweak and search (for rest of his/hers life..) to get almost the speed they have bought ? They should stalk the right moment with their tweaked and twisted protocol to get the adverticed speed for just a short moment of download... :2funny:

Do you really say that it's advisable to use both LANs on dual GBit motherboard for downloading ? Well, be my guest...

I've had dual GBit motherboards for years (like on this Maximus Formula) and other gear that should give the speed it's advertized to give. The true speed of HW is not directly related to the text saying what it's hoped to be. This has been tested during several years on multiple setups and methods.

I have seen download/upload results of 195.42/53.53 megabits per second (200,120 Kbps download, 54,820 Kbps upload)

I have seen the light....

Really...what kind of network do you have inside the university ? Internet ?  :smiley:

True, on special network setups you can naturally get top speeds. How many average home users do have such connection type to net ? Not many.

I didn't know that this site is only for students that are using direct connections to mainframe...

I'm on 24/2.5 and I have seen stable speeds of 2.8 - 2.9 MB/s on certain downloads.

In other words, mostly you don't have stable speed.

I'm on 40/2 and I get 21 300Kbit/s +- 2000 (about 2.7 MB/s) down as average. That is as "stable" as it can be but that's INSIDE country. I don't get that if I download from Australia or Siberia.

If you get occassionally 2.8 MB/s (which is over the 24/2.5 theoretical speed..), that's ok, but that is not the speed you can call stable. That's only a random burst speed.

The real misinformation is when someone is trying to convince someone else that it is natural to get 90% of advertized speed on any pile of crapware. No matter of distances etc.

I would call it a fraud.

P.S.  If it's somehow limited or forbidden to write negative (the real world..) things here then I'm really sorry. I guess you have to ban me.

So, you are trying to say that it's a kind of a "feature" when client MUST tweak and search (for rest of his/hers life..) to get almost the speed they have bought ?

The reason tweaking has to be done is that no operating system can accurately guess what kind of internet connection each user has.  This means they have to cater to the lowest common denominator, not us high-speed internet users.  Anyone who wants more speed than the general 'broadband internet' profile provided by the operating system does need to tweak to get every last bit of performance.

I have seen the light....

Really...what kind of network do you have inside the university ? Internet ?  :smiley:

True, on special network setups you can naturally get top speeds. How many average home users do have such connection type to net ? Not many.

I didn't know that this site is only for students that are using direct connections to mainframe...

I don't have university internet.  I was using somebody else's numbers to illustrate that your supposed hardware cap is in fact nonexistent.

Your claims are alarmist and inaccurate.  Please check your facts and refrain from doing the "I did exaggerate on some parts for a reason..." thing on any future posts.  Thank you.

My theory is, the faster your internet the less likly a server can meet your "max" demands.  You are correct KBolt, when you say that downloading from obscure servers on the other side of the world don't result in good speeds.  Let me see if I can word this properly.  If the servers, distance, and network traffic (all things out of your control) were left in a state of "perfection", then your hardware will often put you within 90% of your advertized speed.

If you get occassionally 2.8 MB/s (which is over the 24/2.5 theoretical speed..) ... That's only a random burst speed

If there are 8 bits in a byte then RTB has a 3 megabyte/sec download and 0.3125 megabyte/sec upload.  Reaching 2.8 of 3 mbyte is greater then 90%.

Lets say a really "slow" old hard drive can read/write at 20 mbyte/sec.  Thats 160mbit/sec.  Even that is plenty for 100mbps cat5 cable.

Another use of the word stable:  While watching a moving on gametrailers.com I am stable at 3.6mbps download for 20 seconds.  Now you might say, "But you have a 10mbps connection."  Thats true.  By clicking on the movie statistics you will find it is playing at 3.3mbps, thus the server is only giving me 300kbps more then I need to watch the video smoothly.  I believe this is to keep demand on their servers low so they can better cater to "the masses."

To conclude:  When the world around you is running smoothly (network wise), the majority of users can reach 90% of advertized speeds.  When things out of your control are, :tickedoff: interupted, you might as well be gambling.

http://www.coolnsmart.com/gambling_quotes/

I did exaggerate on some parts for a reason...

So you'd be taken even less seriously.

Sure...they offer free games too...( this gategory motherboard are free today if you know where to go and get them..)

If you still insist on using 486s, or maybe even a Pentium I. P2s, P3s are loose change nowadays.

So, you are trying to say that it's a kind of a "feature" when client MUST tweak and search (for rest of his/hers life..) to get almost the speed they have bought ? They should stalk the right moment with their tweaked and twisted protocol to get the adverticed speed for just a short moment of download... :2funny:

Nice exaggeration, it totally nulls anything you try to get across. The TCP protocol itself can even become a bottleneck eventually.

Do you really say that it's advisable to use both LANs on dual GBit motherboard for downloading ? Well, be my guest...

Where did I say anything on using dual Gbit for internet downloads? Besides, harddisks tend to be a bottleneck for single Gbit (~125 MB/s), but if you use purely CPU generated traffic, then sure, dual Gbit has use.

I've had dual GBit motherboards for years (like on this Maximus Formula) and other gear that should give the speed it's advertized to give. The true speed of HW is not directly related to the text saying what it's hoped to be. This has been tested during several years on multiple setups and methods.

Prove it. If what someone says goes against the general idea, it is him/her who has to prove he is right, not the people with the general idea.

Quit trolling.

In other words, mostly you don't have stable speed.

I'm on 40/2 and I get 21 300Kbit/s +- 2000 (about 2.7 MB/s) down as average. That is as "stable" as it can be but that's INSIDE country. I don't get that if I download from Australia or Siberia.

If you get occassionally 2.8 MB/s (which is over the 24/2.5 theoretical speed..), that's ok, but that is not the speed you can call stable. That's only a random burst speed.

Of course, the TCP protocol was never made to handle such speeds by default. The fact that I cannot get that speed stable is due to other reasons, such as bittorrent abuse (the weakness of TCP, really).

The real misinformation is when someone is trying to convince someone else that it is natural to get 90% of advertized speed on any pile of crapware. No matter of distances etc.

I would call it a fraud.

On the other hand, you claim there is no point in technological advance, because of the mythical cap on internet speeds for the general population. If you're allowed to generalize that much, then so can I.

P.S.  If it's somehow limited or forbidden to write negative (the real world..) things here then I'm really sorry. I guess you have to ban me.

Trolls get banned, sure. Don't push your luck.

Blako: The reason that speeds get limited by distance, is that TCP requires interactivity between two nodes. The wikipedia entry on TCP should help you understand.

Boosting cable speed on FAST services is NOT possible past certain speeds and setups.

Someone wrote . Well, not quite so...

Someone should also tell that nothing can be done if you have one regular PC connected to cable service >20Mbit/s.

You will NEVER get 90% of the advertised speed, never. No matter what kind of modem or the rest of your rig you have.

If you could plug your PC directly to main fiber you still wouldn't get the full speed.

That is because "PC" can handle fairly small amount of data internally.

In other words : The maximum "speed" of PC:s data handling is lower than the speed of the cable input.

Even if you own fairly hi-end PC (will cost more than pocket money..) you will never get the full (DOWNLOAD) speed.

There is nothing you can do about it ---> No need (no rational reason) to buy >20Mbit/s service.

The full speed of fast cable service is in use when you have 2 or more HIGH QUALITY PC:s, for example, doing downloading.

This is the only way to benefit from services over 20Mbit/s. (And you don't have to tweak...).

P.S. Well assembled PC (made from quality components..) can handle data maybe at the speed of 20..30Mbit/s MAX

(depends greatly what hardware / software is used..).

Ok everything you said is completely wrong.

You can get well over 90% advertised speed. I get over 100% of my advertised speed on my 6 mbps connection at home. I have a 30 mbps connection at my office, and we get 32 mbps, the server I own has a 1 gbps and can push data out to the internet to another server at 998.4 mbps,  IDK maybe i'm a little fucked up or something but I think that over 90% . Some one correct me if im wrong. lol

You go into a ton of bull shit there which is actually funny, I don't see how you could have wrote this when you were sober.

PC's have been capable of handling data over 20 or 30 mbps for many years. Do you have any idea how fast a modern 7200 RPM hard drive is? Here is a hint, its faster then 20 or 30mbps.