All ports used on router. need more.

AJL77

Hello everyone,

Newbie here and I appreciate any help I can get.

OK this is my set up as of right now.

I have a Verizon dsl using a westell 327w wireless router.

All 4 ports and 1 wireless connection.

the 4 ports are set up this way:

1 port directly to the PC next to the router.

3 others hard wired ports run down to back of house:

1 of the 3 ports to another PC

2  port run to my HD receiver

3  port run to my XBOX

the wireless is connected to my WII

OK so thats all 4 ports used.

My last port that i ran to the jack for my XBOX, I also have another HD receiver which I want to connect to the router.

I have a Linksys wrt54gs laying around.  (it was replaced by the verizon westell)  I was wondering and hoping if I could take that last port which I hard wired to an ethernet jack and connected to my XBOX and split it. 

By splitting I mean:  taking a ethernet cable from the jack into the Linksys router and then use the 2 ports to go to my XBOX and my HD receiver.

Verizon tells me to call Linksys and Linksys tells me to call Verizon.  Hence my dilema.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Hope i can get this to work.

Andy

this is simple. Take a ethernet cable from the last port on the verizon router and plug it into the wan on the linksys. Put the linksys in automatic DHCP, and turn the firewall off on the linksys, and make sure UNPN is on. 

After that you should have a internet connection on the linksys router. Plug your xbox into it and there should be no problem playing. if you do have an issue connecting to games, Put the linksys router in the DMZ in the verizon router.

this is simple. Take a ethernet cable from the last port on the verizon router and plug it into the wan on the linksys. Put the linksys in automatic DHCP, and turn the firewall off on the linksys, and make sure UNPN is on. 

"After that you should have a internet connection on the linksys router. Plug your xbox into it and there should be no problem playing. if you do have an issue connecting to games, Put the linksys router in the DMZ in the verizon router"

========================================================================================

I hope it is simple.  I am not a real pc guy.  The question i have is how do i get into the linksys router?  when i go to 198.162.1.1 it takes me to the Verizon westell router.  If i need to get into the Linksys  how do i go about it after i hook the port of verizon router to the linksys.

I really appreciate the help and patience.

thanks,

Andy

yes that is the default address for all routers.

I am still stuck unfortunately.  The only way i found that I could get into the linksys router was to disconnect the verizon westall. and that would let me into the Linksys.  I am still confused in what to do.  I tried the steps from above but no change still.  I know the Ethernet port i ran to the backroom works cause if I go straight into my xbox everything works.  if i go into the linksys it finds network but cannot connect to the internet.

its frustrating  since I know it can be done i am just missing something.

I thank everyone for their help and hope it keeps coming.

Do u think I might have to change any settings on my verizon westall??

Andy

Don't do what was just suggested, you'll be double NAT'd.  Just go down to best buy and purchase a switch and plug one port into the switch from the verzion router, then plug whatever you'd like into the switch.

if you are determined to use the router, turn off DHCP, turn off ALL routing, and plug the verizion router into a LAN port, then plug everything into the LAN ports, NOT the WAN.

chris

Just another option, but it might require shopping: a switch

(as Chistopher said)

If you have two "online devices" in the same room you can do something like what I have here:

Modem

|

4-port Router

/      |   |   

PC      PC Switch   Playstation

/       

PC      PC

Don't do what was just suggested, you'll be double NAT'd.  Just go down to best buy and purchase a switch and plug one port into the switch from the verzion router, then plug whatever you'd like into the switch.

if you are determined to use the router, turn off DHCP, turn off ALL routing, and plug the verizion router into a LAN port, then plug everything into the LAN ports, NOT the WAN.

Double NAT is not a huge problem..might hurt the overall throughput of the network but that is about it.. It is more of a nightmare when you try to forward ports...   His problem with all the solutions posted is going to be the IP address conflict occurs when he plugs in the linksys router.  The main router will be issues a 192.168.1.x/24 address for the WAN IP..  With the Linksys also issuing the exact same IP address range there is going to be a conflict and nothing will happen.

The best solution was already posted (kinda)... Disable DHCP on the Linksys..  Yes you will have to disconnect the Linksys from the other router.   Once DHCP is disabled on the Linksys you should be able to connect one cable from the other router to a SWITCH PORT not the WAN port!!!  Then connect the other devices to the other switch ports..   

If you want to have access to the router then you might want to change it internal IP address from 192.168.1.1 to something else.   That way you can still have access to do firmware upgrades and what not.   BTW this setup will also function as an Access Point/range extender.   As long as you assign the same SSID on a different channel you should be set to go.