Help! (Anything but a DELL!)

tobytobes

Hi guys,

I am a scant few hours away from ordering a new computer for College, and due to time constraints, I don't have time to put it together myself which is something I've been looking forward to for a few years now. [:(]

To make things ugly, I am being railroaded into buying a DELL if I can't come up with a solution in about 72 hours.

A DELL people!

My question to you guys (the experts)... Where can I purchase a SOLID build from a reputable company that doesn't skimp on quality?? I'd like to be able to customize the order if possible. I've been using Dell's for years now and I don't want another. I know the major manufacturers skimp on everything and you end up buying a tiny box with a woefully underpowered PSU. Needless to say, I want something upgradeable that can handle ANYTHING I throw at it for a few years to come...

I will continue my search, but I won't be able to rest easy on this one until I've gotten the opinion of the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this one, it's truly appreciated.

Toby

And what is wrong with Dell anyway? I've been using a Dell laptop as my primary computer since July 2006 and all I've ever done was increase the RAM from 1 gig to 2. It came with a Western Digital HDD, a Sony DVD player (I had no use for a burner at the time), an ASUS mobo and of course an Intel Pentium 4 processor. Still going strong after 28 trouble free months.

thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm so out of my mind with work right now I don't even think I have the time to configure a computer let alone put one together. I've been taking a gander at what's out there and found ibuypower.com to be a really good site, honestly the only thing I don't like about them is their cases. FUGLY. I did leave this until the last minute but sometimes life just plays out that way.

It's looking like my budget is going to have to go up a notch.... I'm thinking about $1,200 currently.

I have about one day left to decide on the computer. Now... Last night I saw an article about how HP is building custom order pcs and I took a look into it. I was up all night, and was able to configure a computer with all the niceties a pretty good price. I was even able to get a monitor included in the deal. These rigs use ATX cases and have good ventilation - they honestly look like a viable option at this point. Not bad even though it is far from a "real" custom build. Does anyone think HP would be a viable alternative? If so, I may consider sending out an order...

philip- hah. don't get me wrong. I used to be a die-hard Dell fan but the XPS systems are just too far out of my price range, and I don't want to be stuck with a mid-tower.

Any other insight or comments about HP systems would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks!

Toby

Um, I thought that Alienware was OWNED by Dell?  It was supposed to improve their supply chain management.

Dell has agreed to purchase gaming PC maker Alienware, in a rare acquisition designed to improve Alienware's supply chain and boost Dell's standing among PC enthusiasts. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Alienware will operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of the world's largest PC maker, said Nelson Gonzalez, chief executive officer of Alienware. Gonzalez will now report to Jim Schneider, Dell's chief financial officer, but the company will operate separately from Dell, he said. The transaction should be finalized about 30 to 45 days after regulatory hurdles are cleared, Gonzalez said.

Alienware had considered raising capital through an initial public offering, but came to realize that being acquired by Dell would allow it to raise more money and to take advantage of Dell's supply chain and procurement expertise, Gonzalez said.

"We know our strengths and know our weaknesses, and one of our weaknesses has been supply chain," Gonzalez said.

Both companies use direct sales models to reach customers, but Dell is well known for its efficient manufacturing process. In fact, it's so well known for that strength that after rumors of the deal first surfaced, some analysts said a company like Alienware would not be a good fit with Dell. Alienware specializes in exotic designs and colorful systems that take longer to build than the standard building blocks used by many of Dell's PCs.

But Dell's efficiency will not hurt Alienware's product development process, Gonzalez said. "We're not going to sacrifice the design of a product for the sake of the efficiency," he said.

Alienware will also continue to offer PCs that use processors from both Advanced Micro Devices and Intel, he said. Dell has an exclusive relationship with Intel, but that will not affect Alienware's relationship with both chipmakers.

"I can't speak for [Dell's product plans], but from our vantage point, nothing has changed there," Gonzalez said.

link

Nothing wrong with Dells  Imho ,great for basic  computers ,but  with limited up grade possibilities , what you have  to think of off is what do you need the puter for ? ??  gaming  of heavy graphics ?, maybe a special need?

Dells ? the option  most comersuial users  pick Dells for a good reason.

OK , so whats the  option  , ? Build your own , and save a few $$ in doing so ,

dell makes up for in customer service what they lack in build quality. Anyway its not the 90s anymore and almost any computer you buy is gonna have decent build quality. Dell's xps, studio, latitude, precision, and their alienware lines aren't that bad.