e-mail scams hitting snail mail now.....

ninjageek

I just HAD to laugh. GF sister got a snail mail letter from "you just won the Canada lottery".  We both told her its a scam. Nope she refused to believe it. Now she send them 20.00 bucks. Now they got her hooked. Now she gets a small check for 5 grand, needs to cash it and send back 3 grand and keep 2 grand. Again we are telling her its a scam. Don't be stupid. Oh no.....we are dumb. So she takes off to the bank. It took the tellers about 20 seconds to figure out its a fake check.

Oh I will give her crap for sometime over this deal. Hey how about a loan of some of that Canada lottery cash you have just laying around. You guys may wanna make sure Grandma does not get this type of letter. If you head over to cnn.com. There is a story of a lady loosing 400 thousand dollars yes 400 thousand dollars to the Nigerian relative e-mail scam. Cops, Banks, Everyone told her to stop it was B.S. Nope she took out a mortgage on her home, wiped out her husbands retirement, took a loan out on her car she was no sucker, She was gonna get 20 million in repayment.

Another lady 92 year old woman got robbed. Guy posing as a water man, emergency issues, Had to check her toilet. Now she must hold the handle to the toilet down or her house will explode. Entire time dude is ripping her off. That makes me sick. Some people.

Yeah it's a sick world indeed, we get a load of them in the UK ,

on Emails scams I read it took around 12 million scam emails to hook a big one ,

but then with $400,000 USD , going begging you can see why they persist ,

I got this email Phish atempt last week , I tracked it back to the Ukraine ,

I think they wanted a deposit  :2funny:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEMICAL BANK sm

As a Sperm Bank customer, your privacy and security is a primary task for us. We have been dedicated to customer safety and protection and our mission remains as strong as ever.

We inform you that your eBusiness Banking account is about to expire. It is strongly recommended to update it immediately. Update form is located here:

http://www.secureche*****lbank**i.com/onlineserv/CM

However, failure to confirm your records may result in account suspension.

This is an automated message. Please do not reply.

Sincerely, Chemical Bank Administration   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: spelling

Did you offer a hand deposit? :shocked:

yeah, straight over the counter into the bank tellers hand , :lol:

but it just shows how stupid they are , I guess one of the team thought he had found a new $$$ bank to try out ,

although I had one once from the Royal Bank of Scotland , with the bank of America header  :uglystupid2: ,

I get about one a day , but I use Mail washer to preview the emails while they are still on my ISP's mail server , and delete the crap from there , also I add them to Mailwashers blacklist , 

Heres a recent one from Canada. Simple looking. Even some correct access numbers/website. Except for one phone number, that if called will get you on many lists apparently..

Heres the Snopes writeup to this type of scam..

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20081118_163044_20096

Telus warns of email/cellphone scam

Tuesday, November 18 - 01:30:44 PM Shane Bigham

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Don't call that number! Telus is warning customers about a scam that might be in your email in-box right now. Shawn Hall with Telus says the email is fraudulent, and dangerous.

Hall says they started receiving calls from customers around 9 this morning, "Concerned about an email they were getting claiming that Telus was going to start releasing cellphone numbers to telemarketers. The email is a fraud. We are not releasing cellphone numbers."

There are two numbers on the email. Hall says one of them is the actual number for the do-not-call registry. But the other one (888-382-1222) has been linked to telemarkting scams. He says the person who answers that call will try to extract personal information that can be used to commit fraud against you.

This is what the fraudulant email looks like, and Telus reminds you it is a SCAM:

"Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.

REMINDER .... All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing Companies and you will start to receive sale calls.

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 1 866-580-3625 or 888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone Number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number. Or you can do it online at www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.. It takes about 20 seconds"

(end of scam email)

Oh and it's Quebec that likes to send out lottery scams to the States. Seems they do not have to abide by the same laws the rest of us do..

Theres a Telemarketer from Florida who 'computer' fakes a Quebec phone number of 514-958-0000 .

good info  zalternate , we have free call  blocking in the UK on premium numbers now ,

I was involved as a witness in a dial up premium number computer  call  legal court case ,  ( his dial up got changed to a  premium number )  he / we won the case  ,

he was special needs , and could not afford the $950 USD , call costs , 

but this applied to anyone not computer literate , old folk etc. and I guess the guy next door,

some times I think we forget those that are not TMN  forum members ,( geeks )

but just use there computers to check their bank balance and surf the web to book a flight or holiday , I guess that is about 90% of the internet users , and lets be honest here , I dont need to be a geek  to use a TV or drive a car ,

computers are just a modern day tool , the fact Jack Sh*t can spoil it should never have happended , IMHO