Sound card opinion

biker9075

Just got a new 5.1 system (Logitech X-540) for the PC. Right now I am using realtek HD onboard audio with codec ALC888. I wanted to upgrade to a discreet sound card so I can hopefully have it sounding its best. I was looking at this card here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102002

Anyone know if this will be a pretty big improvement from my onboard?

I don't. How does it sound now with the onboard sound? What do you do with this computer? [music/gaming/etc ] If it gaming,how much of a improvement do you think you will get on gunshots and bomb explosions. If you listen to alot of music on your computer than it might be worth it,but that depends on what kind of music you listen to and how much you are into your music.Do you know anybody that has a sound card now? See if you can hook up your speakers to their computer or borrow their sound card  and see if you can hear enough of a different to make it worth while to buy the sound card. That is the best way to do it.  

I do alot of gaming and music listening with my computer. I found a pretty good deal on the Asus Xonar D1 and went with that. Also, I think theres something wrong with my onboard sound. The rear speakers sound slightly distorted. I checked on the Logitech forums and other people had the same problem with onboard sound.

I will throw my 2 cents in on this one i guess... I have Logitech z-2200s that I bought about 4 years ago... I was running them off my internal sound card for a while and I thought they sounded good.  Then I got an Audigy 2 notebook sound card..  I could hear the difference.  The bass hits harder and clearer and the overall sound quality is better.  If you are going to make a move you are going to have to spend some cash.. the onboard stuff is pretty good these days so I would be looking to spend $80-100 on a decent sound card if you want any type of improvement.