I need a portable laptop table...ceiling cat is not amused

Mr. Hahn

This is kind of an odd-ball topic for a broadband community, but I thought someone here might have a similar setup.

I have to move around quite a bit with my job, so I've decided to streamline a bit. I'm ditching the whole computer desk with monitor, tower, etc., and gone with a laptop that I'll keep hooked into my big screen through hdmi most of the time. I'll be using a wireless mouse and keyboard, which brings me to my question. Anyone have an idea of what I could use as a sort of "desktop" replacement for when I want to game? Meaning I need a place to put mouse and keyboard in front of me while on the couch. The keyboard I'm getting is pretty nice and has a touch pad on it, which will probably do fine for most things. It obviously won't cut the gravy for gaming though.

I've thought about maybe using one of those lift-top coffee tables that has a mechanism in it that folds the whole table-top up and at you, but that's just something else heavy and big I'd have to move. I was hoping to find an end table version of something like it, but haven't come across anything.

I need ideas!

(PS. no TV trays)

I did some more searching after I made this post last night and I actually did come across the lapdawg thing. I thought I had found the holy grail until I read it's only 19" wide. The keyboard I'm getting is 16", so that doesn't leave much mouse room.

I then came across, and subsequently ordered, the Portable Gamer's Desk. The top model has a seemingly full-sized mouse pad, albeit turned sideways, and more than enough width for even the longest keyboard with the end attachment.

Now I'm not so sure how stable this thing is going to be just sitting on my lap when I go to moving the mouse around a lot. I'm hoping for the best, but I went ahead and ordered the lapdawg as well. If nothing else I can set the 'Portable Gamer's Desk' on the lapdawg and be good to go. One of the main things I was looking for was the ability to still stretch my legs out in front of me as I can with a real computer desk without having some kind of stand or obstruction in my way. Having it on my lap or the lapdawg seems to work.

Thanks guys!

I got a G7 mouse. The main thing I'll use the mouse for is gaming or if I need to be precise with my cursor. Otherwise I'll probably just be using the track pad on my keyboard. That's a neat mouse though.

Well I'm happy I didn't order the lapdawg last night when I ordered the other thing. After doing a little digging I found that many people have had problems with the hinges and arms, and their warranty doesn't extend past their 30-day money back guarantee. If anything happens after 30 days, you're stuck with a $100 paperweight. And the legs aren't quite as long as I was thinking either.

So, still seems I need some sort of stand...

I might not though. Maybe that other thing will work fine just sitting on my lap.

This is kind of an odd-ball topic for a broadband community, but I thought someone here might have a similar setup.

Anyone have an idea of what I could use as a sort of "desktop" replacement for when I want to game? Meaning I need a place to put mouse and keyboard in front of me while on the couch.

I need ideas!

(PS. no TV trays)

Get rid of the couch and go from there.

Get one of these mice. The only thing that moves is your thumb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104156

hey that's my mouse...but when i bought it, it cost me $130 but my son told me...mom believe me it will last forever and be worth the money in the long run...i think that was 1998 or there abouts and i'm still using it :)

tommie...that looks exactly like what he's looking for

after years of moving about  in various  hotels ,I fond the best thing was to quit the job , become static , and I now rely on my logitheck  cordless mouse , well worn but working fine , wel, better than the matching keyboard , that lost the inportant to me letters within months   :evil2:, Personaly I hate the laptop touch pads , if I am called out to work on one I use a USB mouse , anyone seen a touch pad that equals a mouse , coz I havent ?

so no practical advse from  me,  so whats new  ?? , :evil6:

An admin changed the thread name from "ceiling cat is not amused."

Was that not informative enough for you?! geez  :wink:

:lol: go easy Mr.Hahn  :grin2: any changes takes about a day or two to filter down to the UK ,

so what did "ceiling cat is not amused." change too ?  ( I only looked in coz I have a cat that climbs my  curtains ??? )

Regards Roco ....UK ,