I need help...

laura99

I am not very computer savvy..  I would like to know how to get my computer to be faster.  I think my download was at 356kps and upload was 167kps.  And I don't think that is very good at all.  Please if you have any advice please feel free!

WOW ... I know some good scans help. Run them daily. lots of junk builds up .

Reduce the programs that automatically launch at startup. Windows offers a few ways to do this; one easy way is to click icons for programs on the taskbar, which most people have on the bottom of the screen. If you select the icons for instant-messaging programs like AOL's AIM service, look for a chance to adjust "options" or "settings." Find the box that tells the program to automatically begin running at startup, and unclick it. And next time you download a new piece of software, check the default installation choices carefully, and make sure you really want something to begin running at startup.

_ Cut down on add-ons. You don't have to run every aspect of a useful program. For example, Google Desktop is great at indexing and finding the contents of your computer, but it also likes to display a sidebar full of "applets" with news headlines or stock quotes. If you use this and the computer goes into slo-mo, see what happens if you turn off the sidebar. Click on the swirly Google Desktop icon and instead of "sidebar," "deskbar" or "floating deskbar" select "none."

_ Change your Web browser or the way you use it. Browsers can get balky if you have too many tabs or windows open at once, especially if some of the sites you're visiting have interactive content like video or dynamically updating sports scores. Tests by The Associated Press have shown that people can do better if they switch away from Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer 7. The open-source Firefox browser is a good alternative, as is Google Chrome and the next version of Internet Explorer, IE 8, although technically the latter two are still in "beta" test mode and not all sites work well with them yet. If you use Firefox, be sure to activate a program that blocks Flash video from running on Web sites you have open but are not currently viewing. To get this performance enhancement, go to addons.mozilla.org and search for "Flashblock."

_ Post your photos or videos at moments when you can leave the computer and do something else. Internet access providers generally let you download data much faster than you can upload it. Attaching your photo to an e-mail or sending it to an image-sharing Web site eats up a lot of time and computer resources that get in the way of trying to do other, basic tasks.

_ Try Windows PCs' built-in performance-assistance tools. One involves defragmenting your hard drive. "Defragging" cleans up stray bits of data that have found their way into various places on the hard disk and can't be accessed in the most efficient way. Go into "Programs" or "All Programs" in the Start menu, then click open "Accessories," followed by "System Tools," and then select "Disk Defragmenter." It can't hurt, though we've found the performance improvements from defragging to be barely noticeable. You might get better results from another option in the same "System Tools" menu: "Disk Cleanup." This deletes temporary Internet files and other junk you don't really need.

I am not very computer savvy..  I would like to know how to get my computer to be faster.  I think my download was at 356kps and upload was 167kps.  And I don't think that is very good at all.  Please if you have any advice please feel free!

Who is your internet provider and what are your advertised speeds? If you have a DSL connection, you may not be able to do any better than that but if it's cable, you truly do need help.

BTW, welcome to the TMN forum!  :wave:

Here is my results for at the house which is worse then the ones at work...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 376 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 6152 kB)

Download Speed is:: 46 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/12/08 - 2:52pm

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 22.26 sec

Tested from a 6152 kB file and took 133.953 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 17.26 % of your hosts average (wmtel.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4MOS8EPXV

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

What do you pay a month for service?

This is the prices they have listed on the site

Superlink High Speed Internet by WMTel.net

* No contracts and no price increases (just stay current on your monthly billing)

* Free Virus and Spam filtering

* $60 installation fee due at time of install

Available Speeds

* Special pricing for 512/256k currently only $26.95 (regularly $32 per month)

* 1mg - 512k - $37.95

* 2mg - 512k - $45.00

* 3mg - 512k - $60.00

* 3mg - 3mg - $90.00

* Higher speeds are available in certain communities served by WMTel.

Call for pricing!