Windows Vista - Stuck doing updates

Grambler

For Windoze updates, I go to the site and press custom, so I can see what Microsoft is trying to give me. And pick and choose whats really needed.

And I also wait about a week after patch Tuesday, so I don't get a dreaded crappy patch that will be tweaked 4 days later.

My XP box Takes ten seconds to find the available updates.

My Kids Vista Basic box take about two minutes to find updates. 

Interesting subject, I have ultimate on a bootcamp partition ( for unknown reasons lol )  I rarely boot from iy, just move files to and fro within finder.  But every time i do boot to vista it seems like it takes forever , then in order to shut it down, I have to wait for the updates  ( drives me insane ) 

As a regular vista user, I was wondering does this happen every week ?  And what is the normal (roughly) update installation time.

I've been using Vista Ultimate and it is not as fast as XP booting it does seem to get faster with use. I've learned to look at the task bar before rebooting to see what updates they are sending me. Also I look in the start menu. I don't like how they install when you reboot either.

I have been using Vista Ultimate 64 bit since last April on my desktop. Most of the update I get download and install in a couple of minutes. Even my laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit downloads and install in less than 5 minutes. I do have 8GB of ram in the desktop and 4GB in the laptop, that might help out,the 64 bit might help too. I still do not let it update automatically. I let it check for update and I install them manually.

About a couple of months ago there was a update for some Vista dictionary definitions.  About 56 MB size. Just to add a few words.

Friendster, Klum, Nazr, Obama, and Racicot

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/07/09/why-do-five-dictionary-words-require-a-60mb-windows-update

Replacing the whole file is one thing to avoid corruption or errors, but can you imagine someone on dialup or on restricted bandwidth plans?

I didn't download it for Vista basic and it disappeared a couple of months later from the update list.

And the Vista Basic box takes about 5 minutes to download and install updates. And a reboot to top it off. And the hard drive still churning for a couple of minutes after reboot and account is loaded.

But the updates, over time, are slowly increasing the stability of the system.

What motherboard are you using.I have a Gigabyte motherboard in my latest build,I build it in April. My XP computer has a ASUS motherboard that been running for two years. I did have to RMA the ASUS motherboard shorty after I got it ,but since then it has run petty much 24/7 with no problems. The Gigabyte has run since April with no problems.

I timed my boot up for all three computer I have.

My desktop takes 1min & 10 sec to go from pushing the start button to a competed desktop.

My laptop takes 1min & 20sec to get to a competed desktop. That with most of the HP bullshit still working and using the linux bootloader, with me pressing the enter button to load Vista the sec the loader come up.

My other desktop I use for folding@home and run XP home 32 bit takes just 1 min to go from pushing the start button till I have a competed desktop.

Updates in Linux are so much easier and for the most part you can actually see improvments

unlike windows

...and bull****...

Vista (both versions) will update correctly as long as you don't mess up with all kind of crap tweaking and useless experiments.

If it does not then you know who to blame...

You are correct when you say there are not many improvements visible when updating Vista. That is rather natural when you have a good OS to start with...unlike Linux

That is rather natural when you have a good OS to start with...unlike Linux

Linux runs on a Unix based system, which is not only the most stable operating system to date, but the most secure, among other qualities. I'm not bashing you, but maybe next time , do some investigating before remarking like that, it's well known that Mac OSX as well as Linux (Unix system) alike are more stable then any platform available. Granted, since many people were handed a windows system for there first experience, makes things difficult to understand and use considering systems such as windows keep you in the dark concerning what , and how the system actually operates. This is not an opinion, this is strictly factual, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Linux runs on a Unix based system, which is not only the most stable operating system to date, but the most secure..

:lol: I'm fully aware what you are trying to say and I almost agree. I've played with UNIX since 1986 (MicroVAX, VAX/VMS)...before some here were even born.

..many people were handed a windows system for there first experience, makes things difficult to understand..

Question : Why should a common PC-user know how the operating system works (on binary level) if he/she is not an OS developer ?

One fact : I know numerous Linux users who are just using the GUI...just like most are using Windows. They know nothing about coding their Linux. I know many Windows users too. Some of them are actually coding a little...on both platforms.

So there is nothing indicating that using Linux makes you more clever or intellectual than using Windows. On the contrary sometimes...

If you can't get Windows as secure as Linux, it's YOUR problem. Not my.

P.S. Linux is NOT UNIX...