help with computer losing connection

starship_troopers

I have a computer that is using a usb linksys wireless access point thing so i can get wireless internet to it...ok after about 10 minutes of being online firefox and all my other browsers will stop being connected...and my DU Meter will show that i have no connection whats so ever...but yet at the same time i can still play cod online, talk on all my messengers without a problem....etc...its just that my browsers will all time out every page i try to visit....

tried repairing the connection, tried reinstalling all drivers for my wireless device....i've basically tried everything including scans with all my spyware,adware,virus protecion programs...even Ccleaner. so the only thing i really havent tried is formatting....which is a last resort..

any ideas on what to do?

Sure sounds like a DHCP issue within the network settings, wonder if you get a nasty that refuses to show itself, and has changed , or changes the network setting ?

Just for the heck of it, make sure you have DHCP enabled, then when you lose connection, see if it has been disabled.

checked. lol...the only thing i get is packet loss...and if i even disconnect, and reconnect again, it wont work...the only thing is, i havent scanned in safe mode...dumb me...

I scanned for viruses with avg free...not sure though if that matters.    Also, the wireless connections advanced options are different than the ones i've seen in all other computers...since i connect through the usb linksys program i havent changed any windows settings...mainly because the advanced options tab...well....it is missing the options for using windows to detect the wireless connections, and a tab for checking my tcp/ip properties and stuff...its just basically not there...im using a macbook right now so i cant really do a screenshot...but yeah....

btw, if this helps at all..the computer is a custom build i've built not too long ago...its as follows:

cpu amd athlon 64x2 5600+

ram 2gb ADATA pc6400 ddr2800 with heatspreaders

HD 120gb seagate

Motherboard biostar tforce550

Bios Pheonix i think..

gpu nvidia geforce 7950gt ko 512mb

OS windows xp pro sp3

thats all i can remember at the moment, as im not home...

btw...it may have something to do with SP3....i didnt have problems until then...but im wondering if i should format anyways, so maybe keeping sp2 would help?  not sure, but there is no way i can keep it wired via ethernet so....

also....i last knew i had 60gb free of my 120gb hard drive...but last night i checked and only had 32gb free..... not sure why at all...

and the light that flashes on my linksys usb to show connection stops flashing after about 30 minutes and in game i cannot download extra maps for my clans server or anything....but messengers still work after that also...so it leaves me wondering,,,hey is it easier to format or what...lol

but yeah thats about all the info i can think of right now, as its christmas morning at 2:36

BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS

With a mac to take a screenshot, in the upper right corner, there;s a little search glass, click that , and type "grab" , as you type it will give you definitions, just click the highlighted on that says  "grab ". Then look to the upper bar there's options, click  "capture" you will seeoptions as to what you want to snap a pic of.

or, just  apple+shift+4+space , bam scrennshot.

I would get rid of the USB connection alltogether, I learned right off , not to connect this way, supposedly a slower connection, and a couple other things, my kids gonna open there Xmas stuff , gotta go...........

yeah, i got that figured out finally :P

but yeah, i am having issues with my xp pro machine...just the mac that im using is awesome so....im using it more often.

what other connection type should i get then? should i get a pci card and plug it into my mobo?  jw....but yeah, i only got the usb one because it was a deal and i was broke at the time...LOL

Yeah i gotta go too, gotta clean up the mess of opening my christmas stuff.... :grin:

Happy Christmas mudman, thanks for the help.

Could you post the Linksys model number for me ? After you clean yo mess up though lol

Be careful using the mac will eventually make you want to use it all the time, it takes some adjustment, but gradually, as I think you already are finding out, it's an addictive OS.

Right back at ca on the happy christmas buddy :)

LINKSYS WUSB54GC IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA - although since i am not home i just found this model on newegg...the only difference between mine and this one is that mine has "speed booster" ....

Other than that im not sure until i get home...

LINKSYS WUSB54GC IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA - although since i am not home i just found this model on newegg...the only difference between mine and this one is that mine has "speed booster" ....

Other than that im not sure until i get home...

Ahh, gotcha now. They work good most of the time, but Iv'e seen issues withem before , like disconnecting as they please. Maybe it's time for another one ? Or is this one fairly new ?

its about a couple of months old....i'm thinking that when i order 2 gigs of ram for my notebook i'm going to order a new pci wireless card....but im not sure that since i'm formatting soon anyways to make room for cod 5 and some other stuff i got for my pc if that would make it better also...since it worked fine until a few weeks ago

• 1 month later...