32 bit or 64 bit ?

zalternate

So what is the future of computing? 32 bit or 64 bit ?

And which should I build in to my next machine? 

Going to build one from parts this time, instead of a manufacturers model.

Hopefully this XP box lasts till Windows 7 comes out. Still trying Linux on a old machine though. No Vista for me.

So what are some reasons why you aren't going with vista? I have had no kind of problems with vista itself. well not yet anyway. Now I have had problems after the fact that I downloaded some optimizers that didn't work but maybe like 5% if that. It screwed up my system more than anything. So yeah, other than that I haven't had any problems.

Know of any good upgrades for Vista though? LOL.

I have 64 bit by the way.  You can definitely tell 64 is better. At least it seems that way.

I have Vista 'Basic' on the kids Box. The specs are about the same as my 7 year old XP box, And even though the Lenovo Vista Box is 1 year old. My XP Box can run circles around the Vista Box.

Maybe Vista 64 'Ultimate fighter' is faster, but there are some reviews calling Vista the Windows 'ME'(now whether the review is basic or upgraded versions, dependant). 

Remember the Screen Savers from the Tech TV network? Before that damn game channel killed all the goodness and I locked it out of my satellite receiver box..... Well they kept up with Windows Operating systems and installed 'ME' and then uninstalled it due to crashyness, reverting back to Windows 98 SE. Was a nice show to keep up on the latest specs. Was fun to watch the over-clocking show. 3.8Ghz with nitrogen cooling and still boots. Just before Hyper-threading if I remember correctly..

But the Internet joke is that 'Windows 7' is 'Vista SP4'. I'll have to keep looking at the un-biased reviews through the months.. I have not delved in to the specs on Vista Ultimate and 64Bit. Just don't want to have the next operating system come out and Microsofty kill support for Vista early..... XP will never die ...... But the Vista Basic keeps getting more stable as updates get applied. A little over one year ago was a blue screen a day or two. Now that is about once a week.... My XP box has not blue screened in ages. Maybe a dozen time over 7 years abouts..

But I see that enough protection programs are 64 bit 'complaint'. Which is good..

Maybe I am just a "Vista" fan. I don't know.  I couldn't really work my way around it when I first started operating the system when it first came out. Never did any upgrades to my last two computers. Just this one, but then again this computer is a performance computer as well, as well as a 64 bit system. 

I've tried using apple computers themselves and the user interface was difficult for me to operate through. Just didn't understand how to use it really.

Course you could always do like my friend did with his computer. that he ended up giving me. I just have to get a new power supply for it.

He put it in a huge tower that is about three foot high and almost a full foot across and about two and a half feet in length. Check this out....

He did some kind of personal mods on the mother board and on top of that he did a lot of other things that just looked unreal. don't really know all the specifics to it,

but i do know that it works, if it had a power supply, and i know it has some kind of kick butt cooling systems that at times will, and I swear, have ice in a couple of spots next to the fans.  the condensation is what made the power supply burn out I think.

Anyway, he took all this stuff that he built up and ended up putting three different operating systems that actually worked on one computer.

I don't know how it works or what he did, or how he did it. All I know is it works, and it makes a lot of noise, and it lights up the room whenever its running.

i would give you his email and all but i would have to ask him if i could give it to somebody who was interested in the "artillery shell".  I have to wait till he calls me again or whenever he emails me back. He's in Iraq right now, and with his job, he doesn't really have much free time over there. but I will ask him if you would like

I've seen some nice case mods on the net. But I just like the simple tower that can fit stock parts. Also lower price as well.. I'd reuse this case, but then I'd have to do something to the front cover with the Compaq logo's on it.. Another project.

Some case mods from Google image search..

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=case%20mod&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The pizza box mod may be a fire hazard, but the smell of old warm pizza should be a sign of danger.

http://www.techchee.com/2007/12/20/pizza-box-pc-case-mod/

64Bit was my choice for memory reasons

32bit is limited to 3 or 4 GB of memory. 64bit has a much higher about 128GB

For future upgradability I would go for 64bit

What are you doing that your going to need more than 4 gigs of ram? The only thing your going to benifit the most in 64bit, is your going to be able to run more memory. Theres not a lot of  64bit apps yet.

Now I can't remember where I read it, but some tech support worker told a user that they needed 4 gigs of ram(from 2 gigs) to speed up their Internet connection.  :haha: 

Imagine how fast your connection could be with 128 Gigs of ram...  :cheesy:

But with more memory to avoid the page file, I suppose.  My minimum for the new machine will be 2 gigs.

Now I can't remember where I read it, but some tech support worker told a user that they needed 4 gigs of ram(from 2 gigs) to speed up their Internet connection.  :haha: 

But with more memory to avoid the page file, I suppose.  My minimum for the new machine will be 2 gigs.

If you plan on going with an Intel i7 core, you'll need 3 gigs, as it uses triple channel memory....

From what I know and have read, which isn't really much to tell you the truth, Anything past 3 gigs is useless unless your running a 64bit system. BUT... If you are running a quad core then that's when all four gigs really kick in. Even then, from what I have read, the DDR3 memory doesn't really make a difference unless you use high quantities of the DDR3. As in 8 gigs or more. Supposedly. But like some of us have agreed upon, you have to have a 64bit system in order to run that much memory. So there you go. Thats about all I know right now about that. I am actually going to read about it some more as soon as I leave the forum. You might hear more later.

Adding more ram doesn't make your internet connection any faster unless you have a ungodly small amount of ram.

The ethernet controller is slower then what the ram can read and write at.

The only thing that would be faster with a 128gb of ram outside of government sized databases would be working with massive photoshop files even then your pushing the insanely wasted side of things with 128gb of ram.

Maybe in 10 years something will actually take advantage of it.

If you plan on going with an Intel i7 core, you'll need 3 gigs, as it uses triple channel memory....

If your going core i7 you might as well spring for 6gb of ram because if you really want to use the processor you want a lot of ram.

From what I know and have read, which isn't really much to tell you the truth, Anything past 3 gigs is useless unless your running a 64bit system. BUT... If you are running a quad core then that's when all four gigs really kick in. Even then, from what I have read, the DDR3 memory doesn't really make a difference unless you use high quantities of the DDR3. As in 8 gigs or more. Supposedly. But like some of us have agreed upon, you have to have a 64bit system in order to run that much memory. So there you go. Thats about all I know right now about that. I am actually going to read about it some more as soon as I leave the forum. You might hear more later.

First off it all depends on what you do for majority of people 3gb of ram isn't really needed. Most would be more then fine with 2GB right now.

Also weather you have a dual or quad core processor doesn't really make 4GB of ram really kick in. It only mattes of what you are doing.

DDR3 does make a difference, if you have a hard drive that is fast enough to serve data too the ram. And having 8GB vs 4GB doesn't make DDR3 better it depends on what you do.

thats cool. Well now I know. Like I had said. I just remember from what I have read.  Thanks for correcting me though. I really appreciate it. I didn't really want to be wrong

about what I was saying, but I was reading more on it last night after I had posted that and I agree with what you say. It made more sense last night when I had re read everything. thanks.

I am running Vista 64 with 4GB of 1066 DDR2  and a Phenom 9850BE with room to expand as needed.

I still remembler running an 8 bit processor with 4M of ram and everyone thought that was plenty at the time.

Newer apps just seem to want more and more memory